Very sick Veiled Chameleon - syringe feeding

ghs215

I have a 1.5 year old Veiled Cham that is very sick with a respiratory infection. The vet gave the standard antibiotic. He is so weak right now and concerned about water and food intake. What do I use as food in the syringe? The vet reccomended Repashy Superload mixed with water, but she sounded unsure. Anyone have expierence in this?

I use Entomo cricket powder available through amazon etc. entomofarms.com/products/organic-cricket-powder it is intended for body builders but it contains nothing but ground crickets. You can add your own supplements as you normally would as per your schedule. Mix with water and feed as needed. I start with a thin gruel and then thicken it up. It stores well dry in the freezer. That way I always have it on hand.

Edit: if you use another brand be sure it doesn't have added flavoring, sugars or other unwanted ingredients.

Here are some pics. The mucus one was yesterday and thats when we started the antibiotics. The other 2 are from right now. He is sitting under the mist right now as an attempt to keep him hydrated. He kept falling, so I put a towel under him and he hasnt moved since. Still has some gripping power with his feet. Temp at basking level keeps him about 85-90 deg F. I keep him offset from the direct heat of the lamps. I live in AZ and impossible to keep the humidity up, right now its 32% in the room, but assume way higher under the fogger.

Any idea what I should keep his body temp (using IR gun) while he is sick?

Keep the basking lights on 24/7?

Appreciate all the help.

Attachments

• 20230817_075125.jpg
    20230817_075125.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230817_075114.jpg
    20230817_075114.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230816_062625.jpg
    20230816_062625.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 31
When/if the chameleon is unable to move away from the basking area, you need to be aware that it can overheat...and you may have to move him away. A slight raise in temperature, above the basking temperature we often recommend in the low 80’s, is what is often recommended because they cannot produce a fever on their own to fight the infection.

Can someone explain about floggers and respiratory infections from their improper use please. @Beman , @MissSkittles .

Last edited:
I’m so sorry that you lost your handsome guy. May it be of some consolation that it seemed to be quick, rather than a prolonged suffering.
Can someone explain about floggers and respiratory infections from their improper use please.
During the daytime, we don’t use foggers/humidifiers at all. Increased temperatures plus increased humidity is a recipe for respiratory infections. If ventilation of the enclosure if limited even in a small way, that increases the risks greatly. During the daytime, for hydration we mist, as in spray and we are careful to limit that. The ideal hydration misting is for at least 2 minutes right before lights go on and off. If your chameleon needs some mid day hydration, a brief 1 minute misting or use of a dripper for 15-20 minutes is good. The ideal range for humidity during the day for veileds is between 30-50%. Adding safe live plants will help increase and maintain humidity, as well as create pockets where humidity is a bit higher. Unless you’re having nose bleed type dryness of your air, it’s better to have too dry than too humid.
Now, if you are able to consistently achieve a significant temp drop below at least 68-70 at night, this is where you can use your fogger. Once it cools down, run your fogger to your hearts content and boost humidity as high as you can get. This simulates the hydration cycle that chameleons (and other animals) get at night through fog.
The short & sweet is warm dry days and cold wet nights are best.

Back
Top Bottom