Veiled's, how mean?

binaryterror

I am trying to decide between a Veiled or a Jacksons. I heard Veiled are really mean, so thats why I thought a Jacksons would be a good choice. But after reading about how active the Veiled are, I am back into them. But since I plan to take him outside like 1 time a week during the warm months, is he going to hiss and bite? Also, when I have to take him out to clean the cage, is he going to hiss and bite? If he will do that like every time I go into the cage, then I wont get one. But if he wont be like that all the time, then maybe I will get one?! Thanks!

I'd say you have a 50/50 shot of having an aggressive veiled and there is no way to tell how they will be when you get them as babies. They are a good starter chameleon because they are hearty.

My veiled never hisses at me, he has a lovely temperament and is very tame. I think they can start to recognise their owners, especially if you interact with them, like hand feed them when they are little etc.

I have had veileds that will come out on my hand and never even think of biting me....then, I have had veileds that will chase me and try to bite me. It all depends on the luck of the draw...but whatever the pesonality seems to be, once they are adults they don't usually change.

To move an ornery veiled to clean its cage, I always wore a long-sleeved sweat shirt (long enough in the arms that it covered my hands) so that if it did bite me it would get a mouthful of shirt and not a piece of me.

I would move ornery veileds outside to a shrub on a stick and take them back in the same way.

If you are lucky, you will get one that is tolerant of handling...but there's no way to be sure.

Yeah, thats why i was considering a Jacksons also. The Jacksons dont need a cage as big, as they are alot more docile to the owners. Plus I think the horns look neat =-). LMK with any more comments!

Thanks guys, I think I will be getting a Veiled. i thought about it, and since you can get them more docile by hand feeding (sometimes), I will just try that. And if it doesn't work... then I will just have to deal with a mean chameleon!

Where do you guys recommend buying my first Veiled from? i want one with all of the turquoise and yellow!

kammer flage has a new set of babies and by the looks of there dad who is super yellow u have a good chance there

my veiled will hiss at me in the morning when he wakes up...he gets cranky but after i touch him, he calms down. veiled do get used to their owners. any animal will bite you...its just a matter of when.

That reminds me of a saying my grandfather told me once when I asked him if one of his animals would bite. He said "Does it have a mouth?" me "Yes" Grandfather "Then it can bite" If and when is the question.

Frank

I am trying to decide between a Veiled or a Jacksons. I heard Veiled are really mean, so thats why I thought a Jacksons would be a good choice. But after reading about how active the Veiled are, I am back into them. But since I plan to take him outside like 1 time a week during the warm months, is he going to hiss and bite? Also, when I have to take him out to clean the cage, is he going to hiss and bite? If he will do that like every time I go into the cage, then I wont get one. But if he wont be like that all the time, then maybe I will get one?! Thanks!

i have a veiled and he is pretty nice sometimes he hisses at me but he never bites veileds are also way more active.

Luie, my veiled, it the sweeted little boy you could ever meet. We got him first of Oct. and he has never, not once, showed a mean side. He's spoiled rotton and loves to be held. He begs me to take him out of his cage. He would be happy if I could hold him 24/7. I walk him around outside everyday......we live in South FL. I hope you get one as nice as Luie!

stick with the veled my jacksons are very fragile compared with what others say about veileds of course it might just be clueless me

BT, Stay away from the jacksons if this is your first cham. They really aren't a beginner cham. Veileds are much more tolerant of beginner mistakes that you are sure to make. PLEASE read up on them on these forums and be sure you know what your getting into and have your setup correct. Be absolutely sure you have the correct lights, cage, supplements and watering system. Although veiled are probably the easiest to raise, they are by no means easy. While alot of veiled's do hiss and lunge at you, I find that this is more of a territorial thing with their cage than anything else. Once you get them out of their cage, their fine. I've only had a couple of actual bites. Good luck. David

Back
Top Bottom