veiled falls asleep too early

Midninight

My veiled cham is almost 2 years old. His D3 and house bulb light are scheduled to go on at 9am and off at 9pm. Lately he's been going to sleep like an hour, sometimes even 2 hours before his lights go off. Is he sick?

Depending where you live, the sunlight hours could just be changing. This recently happened with my guy. He went to bed about 45 minutes early while the lights were still on and the sun was already down. Hasn't done it since that day. I just adjusted his lighting hours and I havent seen him sleep during the day at all.

Also if he's in the middle of a shed he could just be a lil stressed and felt like he was gona hit the hay early tonight.

I live in Southern California. He's been going to bed early for probably a week now. He's not in the middle of shedding though.

Has the sun set when he is asleep? Check a weather website and see what times your sun is rising and setting.

If your gut tells you that it isnt the sun light hours, than it may be a case of dehydration. Are his eyes sunken when he sleeps?

And I know its a pain in the ass but it will only help

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

6:30am - 7pm

He's not waking up early though... If I change his timer I won't be able to feed him before 3pm (so he has 4 hours to digest). I usually get home around 5pm.

Well I recommend keeping his light schedule the same as the sun hours. Just make sure to adjust it over a span of a few days about 30 minutes at a time.

How are his urates looking?

It's not uncommon for them to "settle in" an hour or so before lights out, but I absolutely agree that keeping the lights in sync with the sun is good.

His poop is what makes me think you might be right about him being dehydrated. It's white with some yellow parts in it. The actual poop part is just brown though.

His eyes don't look sunken in when he sleeps.

If I'm home the whole day I spray him for about a minute or two minutes every 2 hours. If I'm working I spray him only 3 to 4 times a day. He also has a dripper set up which I leave on all day. Yes, I've seen him drink.

I need an automatic mister, I know. They're so pricey though.

in most places, the sun is gone by 7pm, 8 is the latest. im in cali too, my chams lights go on at 530 or 6 am, depending on the day. lights are all off by 4 or 5pm depending on the timer. I judged this going by their behavior. If my heat lamps were still on after 5 or 6pm, it would have been hot for long and my chameleons walk around the entire cage mouth open and weird colors. once the lights are off, they become leaves with curled up tails.

If you cant get to your cage at those times because of your own routine. might want to get a timer from home depot. 20 bucks for a black one with multiple outlets in it.

Back
Top Bottom