Veiled Chameleon terrified of change.

Ruchris

Hi, I have a 9 month old Veiled Male. I have a Nylon Mesh Cage which I set up before I got him at 2 months old. Today I had him out in the Sunlight & thought seeing that there is quite a space at the top I would go to my Hibiscus Hedge & cut a long length which would reach the top of cage. I got it arranged perfectly for him but he freaked out, changed colour & went to the other side of his cage. I left it to see if he would decide to go that side but he stayed where he was. I took it out & he calmed down a bit but he was still stressed. Has anyone had this problem? I am not too worried his set up is good, as long as he is happy.

Welcome to chameleons. Every cage cleaning you will never be able to put the sticks back correctly. They will be stress for a few days and then go back to normal.

This is his permanent enclosure. It is very light, so I can carry it outside easily.
Ok so he acted scared when you took him outside in the natural sun? This can happen. It is new to them. It typically takes my boys a few weeks to get used to being in a new space... This includes new lighting. Sunlight is different for them then the lights we use on cages. He sees an exposed area above which he is not used to as well. Anything they see from birds to cars driving can make them nervous as well.

You mentioned that his cage is light - please be careful that it doesn't tip over in a strong breeze and allow him to escape.

Ok so he acted scared when you took him outside in the natural sun? This can happen. It is new to them. It typically takes my boys a few weeks to get used to being in a new space... This includes new lighting. Sunlight is different for them then the lights we use on cages. He sees an exposed area above which he is not used to as well. Anything they see from birds to cars driving can make them nervous as well.
No not the first time out in the sun. He loves basking in the sun. He is taken outside everyday, in the morning for 4 hours, 2 hour break inside, then outside again from 2 pm to 4 pm. I think natural UV Rays are better than artificial ones. If it is cloudy he still gets the sun rays. Same as if we sit on the beach sunbathing on a cloudy day, you can still get sunburn. He has shade in his cage which he can go to if he needs a break from the sun. I only go out if it is necessary, of course then he goes into his room with the Light on. I am an old lady with an old hubby, all the Kids & Grandkids moved overseas, so very quiet:) I live very close to the warm Indian Ocean, so mild Winters & lots of Humidity in Summer. I mist his cage by hand twice in the morning & once in the afternoon. He licks the water off the leaves. I have a huge front garden with 2 large Tortoises roaming. Cannot see the cars from my Patio where Rocco (his name) has his cage.

You mentioned that his cage is light - please be careful that it doesn't tip over in a strong breeze and allow him to escape.
We always have a breeze here on the Coast, Every corner on the outside of his cage is supported by Pot Plants. it works well, no tip ups.

No not the first time out in the sun. He loves basking in the sun. He is taken outside everyday, in the morning for 4 hours, 2 hour break inside, then outside again from 2 pm to 4 pm. I think natural UV Rays are better than artificial ones. If it is cloudy he still gets the sun rays. Same as if we sit on the beach sunbathing on a cloudy day, you can still get sunburn. He has shade in his cage which he can go to if he needs a break from the sun. I only go out if it is necessary, of course then he goes into his room with the Light on. I am an old lady with an old hubby, all the Kids & Grandkids moved overseas, so very quiet:) I live very close to the warm Indian Ocean, so mild Winters & lots of Humidity in Summer. I mist his cage by hand twice in the morning & once in the afternoon. He licks the water off the leaves. I have a huge front garden with 2 large Tortoises roaming. Cannot see the cars from my Patio where Rocco (his name) has his cage.
Well if this is something that you normally do with him then I am betting he saw something that freaked him out. Bird maybe.

No definitely not a bird. The new Branch I put in his cage freaked him out. He is calm outside, loves basking. I have been taking him outside every day for the 7 months I have had him.

Chams tend to "learn" safe walking paths and stick to what they know. Their spatial memory within their territories can be very detailed. Makes sense. Suspicion of change and self-preservation go hand in hand.

Yes, Carlton you are so right. I have noticed how he always has his safe walking paths, whether it is up or down or across it is always on his favourite branch route.

Back
Top Bottom