Veiled Chameleon help :)

irisgabrialle

I am new to having a chameleon and it would be amazing if I could have some help. He doesn’t eat the crickets when I let them free roam because they go hide under the bedding. And another weird thing he does is goes on the stick that’s at the bottom of the cage and then stays there and gets spots on him like he’s stressed out or something. But once I open the cage he is a little scared of me so he runs up to the top and then he turns back to normal green with no spots. His name is Kayo ☺️

Chameleon info:
  • Veiled chameleon, male, and age when I bought it they didn’t tell me how old he was so I called when I first got home and they said they get them from the ages 6-8 months so I don’t know the exact age. I’ve had him for 11 days.
  • He is shy. He usually never let me hand feed him but this morning he did let me.
  • Crickets are the only thing he eats. I have a small food bowl for him that I put the meal worms or grasshoppers but he won’t eat them. I’ve tried to spread them around his cage too but he still doesn’t eat them. I don’t have a schedule yet bc i’m so confused on how to do everything. I do not know how to or what type of stuff to use to git load the crickets.
  • Uses Zoo Med repti calcium and Zoo Med “Reptivite” reptile vitamins and I pour some of each in into a bag with a few crickets and then shake it up good. (i don’t have exact measurement)
  • I have a drip system, I poor water from my sink or poor water bottles in it. I mix that water with like 1 or 2 squirts of Reptisafe water conditioner by Zoo Med. I mist any time I see the humidity is low. I use warm water from my sink into spray bottle. I have seen him drink :)
  • Fecal is brown. I also split open his fecal and it looked really weird kinda like moss in a way but i haven’t ever seen him eat the moss or eat the crickets that went into the moss. I haven’t even seen him walk at the bottom of the cage. I’m not sure how to describe it so i included a picture. Has not been tested for parasites.
  • No previous information besides that he came from PetSmart.
Cage info:
  • The cage is a screen cage that’s made by Zoo Med Repti Breeze Chameleon Kit and is 16" L X 16" W X 30" H
  • The lighting is Reptisun 10uvb lighting and then I have a dome lamp that only has 1 bulb in it that is Thrive daytime blue reptile heat bulb 60 watts. He usually goes to his sleeping spot once the sun goes down and then i turn off his light and heat lamp then he wakes up around 7-9 am and i turn everything back on.
  • The cage floor temp is 72.0 degrees F and the basking spot is 84 degrees F. At night it get to 70ish degrees. I use a digital thermometer from petsmart.
  • The humidity at night is 70. During the day it is usually 50-60. The only way I know how to keep the humidity up by using warm water and spraying the full bottle everywhere in his cage.
  • Yes, a dwarf umbrella plant and a Scarlet-star plant
  • His cage is placed on my window seat in my room. It is near the vent but the vent is closed. The top of the cage to the bottom of my floor is 70 inches.
  • I am in Middle Tennessee

Attachments

• 536C9B89-6544-4663-ADB6-49A930312D61.jpeg
    536C9B89-6544-4663-ADB6-49A930312D61.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 405C3837-7105-41DB-AD26-A9C5C3C88160.png
    405C3837-7105-41DB-AD26-A9C5C3C88160.png
    579.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 686997D2-2B76-4B00-8B25-B9385E7E70B8.png
    686997D2-2B76-4B00-8B25-B9385E7E70B8.png
    857.8 KB · Views: 119
  • C0D68086-1143-4971-84D9-825C560CFE9C.png
    C0D68086-1143-4971-84D9-825C560CFE9C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • 1EEB9DC7-28B1-4936-91C8-39DA23D9E36D.jpeg
    1EEB9DC7-28B1-4936-91C8-39DA23D9E36D.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 123
  • D8EF8C92-1DAD-4600-9AF8-899CC5723B10.jpeg
    D8EF8C92-1DAD-4600-9AF8-899CC5723B10.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 128
  • E74EF021-F5A7-47A8-8E0B-EDB3BB7627E8.jpeg
    E74EF021-F5A7-47A8-8E0B-EDB3BB7627E8.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 521A93E9-BD54-47CA-88F7-DB59AF1FA4D0.jpeg
    521A93E9-BD54-47CA-88F7-DB59AF1FA4D0.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 74F9ED7B-72E7-4991-9F86-E3ED99ECA80D.jpeg
    74F9ED7B-72E7-4991-9F86-E3ED99ECA80D.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 684E1E1A-8230-4B44-A21A-A2236D1E5D3C.jpeg
    684E1E1A-8230-4B44-A21A-A2236D1E5D3C.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 116
I do not know how to or what type of stuff to use to git load the crickets.
53CE8B8B-F712-4C55-8CF8-23F4DCA24972.jpeg

Uses Zoo Med repti calcium and Zoo Med “Reptivite” reptile vitamins and I pour some of each in into a bag with a few crickets and then shake it up good. (i don’t have exact measurement)
Use calcium without d3 every day every week, except one day use multivitamin every 2 weeks. On the week you are not using the multivitamin use d3 one day.
  • I have a drip system, I poor water from my sink or poor water bottles in it. I mix that water with like 1 or 2 squirts of Reptisafe water conditioner by Zoo Med. I mist any time I see the humidity is low. I use warm water from my sink into spray bottle. I have seen him drink :)

You shouldn't "squirt" reptisafe into the water... Look at the ratio on the bottle. Mist every day at night, every day in the morning, and don't mist during the day unless humidity gets below 30%. If you want to conserve humidity put shower curtains around 2 sides of the enclosure.

@irisgabrialle Please see my feedback in red bold. Let us know what questions you have as well.

I am new to having a chameleon and it would be amazing if I could have some help. He doesn’t eat the crickets when I let them free roam because they go hide under the bedding. And another weird thing he does is goes on the stick that’s at the bottom of the cage and then stays there and gets spots on him like he’s stressed out or something. But once I open the cage he is a little scared of me so he runs up to the top and then he turns back to normal green with no spots. His name is Kayo ☺

Chameleon info:

• Veiled chameleon, male, and age when I bought it they didn’t tell me how old he was so I called when I first got home and they said they get them from the ages 6-8 months so I don’t know the exact age. I’ve had him for 11 days. If you can get some more pics we can confirm sex.
  • He is shy. He usually never let me hand feed him but this morning he did let me.
  • Crickets are the only thing he eats. I have a small food bowl for him that I put the meal worms or grasshoppers but he won’t eat them. I’ve tried to spread them around his cage too but he still doesn’t eat them. I don’t have a schedule yet bc i’m so confused on how to do everything. I do not know how to or what type of stuff to use to git load the crickets. They will not eat dead insects you can toss the cans you got. Typically we feed in the mornings so they have the day to digest. See gutloading image provided for you.
  • Uses Zoo Med repti calcium and Zoo Med “Reptivite” reptile vitamins and I pour some of each in into a bag with a few crickets and then shake it up good. (i don’t have exact measurement) So the repti calcium does it have D3 in it or does it say without. The reptivite as well what does it say with D3 or without? You will want to use calcium without D3 every feeding and then if you have reptivite with D3 you use that only two times a month say the 1st and the 15th.
  • I have a drip system, I poor water from my sink or poor water bottles in it. I mix that water with like 1 or 2 squirts of Reptisafe water conditioner by Zoo Med. I mist any time I see the humidity is low. I use warm water from my sink into spray bottle. I have seen him drink :) No warm water only room temp.
  • Fecal is brown. I also split open his fecal and it looked really weird kinda like moss in a way but i haven’t ever seen him eat the moss or eat the crickets that went into the moss. I haven’t even seen him walk at the bottom of the cage. I’m not sure how to describe it so i included a picture. Has not been tested for parasites. All moss needs to be pulled it is an impaction risk and he will try to eat it.
Cage info:

• The cage is a screen cage that’s made by Zoo Med Repti Breeze Chameleon Kit and is 16" L X 16" W X 30" H will need to be upgraded to 2x2x4 min.
  • The lighting is Reptisun 10uvb lighting and then I have a dome lamp that only has 1 bulb in it that is Thrive daytime blue reptile heat bulb 60 watts. He usually goes to his sleeping spot once the sun goes down and then i turn off his light and heat lamp then he wakes up around 7-9 am and i turn everything back on. Perfect and with that bulb you want 11 inches to the closest basking branch below it for the proper UVI level. So you do want to have the lights on a timer so it is consistant for him. 12 hours on 12 hours off.
  • The cage floor temp is 72.0 degrees F and the basking spot is 84 degrees F. At night it get to 70ish degrees. I use a digital thermometer from petsmart. good.
  • The humidity at night is 70. During the day it is usually 50-60. The only way I know how to keep the humidity up by using warm water and spraying the full bottle everywhere in his cage. room temp water. 30-40% humidity is all you need in the daytime.
  • Yes, a dwarf umbrella plant and a Scarlet-star plant perfect. Cover the soil with 1 inch or larger rocks to keep him from eating it.
  • His cage is placed on my window seat in my room. It is near the vent but the vent is closed. The top of the cage to the bottom of my floor is 70 inches.

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

what gut loading items should i not buy at the pet store ? and what are some like key important thing to gut load my crickets with

what gut loading items should i not buy at the pet store ? and what are some like key important thing to gut load my crickets with
Get your gut loading foods from the grocery store. The pet store only sells things like cubes and those aren’t any good. Crickets will eat just about anything, but they really seem to like dandelion and other fresh greens. Shaved sweet potato, squash, bell pepper, etc. see the gut loading graphic above.

Okay so I need help again... I have been trying to gut load my crickets with fresh food from the list above and I try and vary it whenever I can. But I don’t think they are eating any of it because when i take the small plate out there’s still a lottttt of food left and it looks like they haven’t eaten any of it. I don’t know why and what i’m doing wrong.. i also spray a little water on the food to get it wet and fresh i guess lol and i also sprinkle some cricket calcium on it too (below is a picture of the cricket calcium i use and how big the plate is that i use) i don’t full the plate up completely either

the food i’ve used so far is romaine lettuce, green beans, oranges, apples, carrots, kale, cucumber

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 67CE4DD6-4DDD-4664-B267-B2DF4768F35E.jpeg
    67CE4DD6-4DDD-4664-B267-B2DF4768F35E.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 80
Okay so I need help again... I have been trying to gut load my crickets with fresh food from the list above and I try and vary it whenever I can. But I don’t think they are eating any of it because when i take the small plate out there’s still a lottttt of food left and it looks like they haven’t eaten any of it. I don’t know why and what i’m doing wrong.. i also spray a little water on the food to get it wet and fresh i guess lol and i also sprinkle some cricket calcium on it too (below is a picture of the cricket calcium i use and how big the plate is that i use) i don’t full the plate up completely either

the food i’ve used so far is romaine lettuce, green beans, oranges, apples, carrots, kale, cucumber
Well, how many crickets do you have? You may be giving them too much or they may just be eating the Fluker’s. Maybe just try putting in a thin slice of orange, sliced green bean and shaved piece of carrot if you have 100 or less crickets. The romaine and cucumber are really only good for hydration, which they’ll get plenty of from the other food. And try without the Fluker’s.

I am new to having a chameleon and it would be amazing if I could have some help. He doesn’t eat the crickets when I let them free roam because they go hide under the bedding. And another weird thing he does is goes on the stick that’s at the bottom of the cage and then stays there and gets spots on him like he’s stressed out or something. But once I open the cage he is a little scared of me so he runs up to the top and then he turns back to normal green with no spots. His name is Kayo ☺️

Chameleon info:
  • Veiled chameleon, male, and age when I bought it they didn’t tell me how old he was so I called when I first got home and they said they get them from the ages 6-8 months so I don’t know the exact age. I’ve had him for 11 days.
  • Crickets are the only thing he eats. I have a small food bowl for him that I put the meal worms or grasshoppers but he won’t eat them. I’ve tried to spread them around his cage too but he still doesn’t eat them. I don’t have a schedule yet bc i’m so confused on how to do everything. I do not know how to or what type of stuff to use to git load the crickets.
  • Uses Zoo Med repti calcium and Zoo Med “Reptivite” reptile vitamins and I pour some of each in into a bag with a few crickets and then shake it up good. (i don’t have exact measurement)
  • Fecal is brown. I also split open his fecal and it looked really weird kinda like moss in a way but i haven’t ever seen him eat the moss or eat the crickets that went into the moss. I haven’t even seen him walk at the bottom of the cage. I’m not sure how to describe it so i included a picture. Has not been tested for parasites.
Cage info:
  • The cage is a screen cage that’s made by Zoo Med Repti Breeze Chameleon Kit and is 16" L X 16" W X 30" H
  • The lighting is Reptisun 10uvb lighting and then I have a dome lamp that only has 1 bulb in it that is Thrive daytime blue reptile heat bulb 60 watts. He usually goes to his sleeping spot once the sun goes down and then i turn off his light and heat lamp then he wakes up around 7-9 am and i turn everything back on.
  • The cage floor temp is 72.0 degrees F and the basking spot is 84 degrees F. At night it get to 70ish degrees. I use a digital thermometer from petsmart.
  • The humidity at night is 70. During the day it is usually 50-60. The only way I know how to keep the humidity up by using warm water and spraying the full bottle everywhere in his cage.
  • Yes, a dwarf umbrella plant and a Scarlet-star plant

Please dispose immediately all the moss
1. Itnis a sokutely innatural, they kive in an area where no moss is a ailable
2. It increases rhe humidity unwanted way and xan xause very dangerous infections if the soles
3. If ingested, it will die

Well, how many crickets do you have? You may be giving them too much or they may just be eating the Fluker’s. Maybe just try putting in a thin slice of orange, sliced green bean and shaved piece of carrot if you have 100 or less crickets. The romaine and cucumber are really only good for hydration, which they’ll get plenty of from the other food. And try without the Fluker’s.
okk I will do that, thank you! also i love your pfp of ms skittles by the way :)

I usually buy 50 crickets and do you think the flukers is what’s making them not want to eat it ? the flukers is sometimes gone by the time i change out the food but i’m not sure if it’s because it soaked into the food or if they ate it..

okk I will do that, thank you! also i love your pfp of ms skittles by the way :)

I usually buy 50 crickets and do you think the flukers is what’s making them not want to eat it ? the flukers is sometimes gone by the time i change out the food but i’m not sure if it’s because it soaked into the food or if they ate it..
I’d guess that the crickets are chowing down in the Fluker’s. 50 crickets aren’t really going to eat very much. If you eat any of the foods on the gutloading sheet, I’d say just give them little bits of what you’ve got. Bell pepper, squashes, blueberry, carrot, etc. You could also add a little pinch of bee pollen.

Hi guys, sorry to intrude on this post, I’m new to this and I’m needing help, big style!
I have a 6/7 month old veiled cam who was apparently rescued. I’ve had her two weeks now and up until a few days ago, every thing was fine. However, she has now stopped eating her crickets and hoppers and digging constantly at the bottom in her substrate. I’m lost with what could be wrong! Please help!

Hi guys, sorry to intrude on this post, I’m new to this and I’m needing help, big style!
I have a 6/7 month old veiled cam who was apparently rescued. I’ve had her two weeks now and up until a few days ago, every thing was fine. However, she has now stopped eating her crickets and hoppers and digging constantly at the bottom in her substrate. I’m lost with what could be wrong! Please help!
She’s probably gravid ( she has eggs in her ). Does she have a lay bin?

Back
Top Bottom