veiled chameleon help

GarethSmyth88

for Christmas i was bought a male veiled chameleon, i have had him for around a month now and he is almost 100% of the time a dark brown coloration (he has been lime green some times) i was just wondering if this is normal or is there something i need to change thanks

additional info
eating calcium dusted crickets daily
has shed once since December 25th 2012
basking temp- 95F
sprayed 3 times a day
humidity 70%

424108_10200417350666137_1774904648_n.jpg

I know that filling this out helps the other members identify the problem if any

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

But I have no experience with Veileds.
Other than that I can just point out what I see, I would get those lights out of his enclosure as that could cause a lot of damage to the little guy.
Also my Jacksons never seemed happy in his first enclosure which was glass, as soon as I put him in his 2x2x4 screen enclosure he seemed way happier and healthier.
Hope this helps

I wouldn't call myself an expert or anything, but I do have a suggestion or two:

Perhaps he needs a bit more foliage? It seems kinda barren in there (The wood is great and all, but he needs some cover to feel safe) so perhaps adding a live plant or two, depending on the size of the plants, would help make him feel more secure.

Also I believe the basking temp is too high for such a young chameleon. I can't remember the numbers now, but I'm sure someone will let you know exact numbers! At his age, you don't need a full-on basking bulb - Any simple household bulb will provide the heat he needs!

Hi Gareth. Welcome to the forum. A few suggestions. He definatly needs more branches and leaves. Real plants will keep the humidity up. Many of us use devils ivy and ficus. He needs to be able to hide and having no hiding places can cause stress. Also he needs to get away from light. You are running the risk of a burn in there having an unprotected bulb. It doesn't look as if you have a screen top so you could get a light guard. I will wait now till you fill in the form then someone will get back to you.:)

To echo what has already been said - live plants, with big broad leaves! if he was bright green in there he would be very visible. Chameleons don't tend to like that idea, especially when young. It is only good enough when you sometimes have trouble finding him.........that is when you will have a much more comfortable guy.
Your temps are fine if you have a good gradient, but most use a little lower at this age. It is difficult when you have bulbs inside, and it looks ok for now.... but the angle can look different in photos............be very very careful that he can't get too close. The light guard idea can work very well, because he will get bigger and might one day stretch out to touch it. Also, it has been known for a cham to hit the light with the tongue..I always post this all-round caresheet for Veileds, even though I checked your last post and you have seen it I thought I'd make sure - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html .....hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom