veiled chameleon head is dark

NayVar

I have a veiled chameleon shes about a year old / I've noticed the top of her head has gotten black. I also have noticed that she spends most of her time near the lamp. Any tips on how to prevent her from continuing to burn her little head?

Attachments

• 20190919_073534.jpg
    20190919_073534.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 414
I agree with Graves92. Both of my Veiled Chameleons get very dark, almost Black colorations on their Casques. Somedays darker than others. Burned skin on Chameleons and most Reptiles looks almost like Burned skin in Humans, just not as red. Whitish, gray, pink edges maybe and Black skin burns with possible blisters, swelling, clear to pinkish-red drainage are all possible depending on the depth of burn. All injuries of this nature, I believe are preventable!! Be vigilant in your efforts to monitor his behavior inside his enclosure. Please be sure that you have the correct basking temps and that he can't come in contact with UVB &/or UVA Bulbs placed directly on top of screened enclosures. Not just from Basking Branch or ledge but from the critters clinging to the screen and traveling that way. The screen and light housing get extremely hot. Using a lamp stand for enclosures under 48" works well. 3 of my 4 Chams are in 48" enclosures though.

I agree with Graves92. Both of my Veiled Chameleons get very dark, almost Black colorations on their Casques. Somedays darker than others. Burned skin on Chameleons and most Reptiles looks almost like Burned skin in Humans, just not as red, gray, pink edges maybe and Black skin burns with possible blisters, swelling, clear to pinkish-red drainage are all possible depending on the depth of burn. All injuries of this nature, I believe are preventable!! Be vigilant in your efforts to monitor his behavior inside his enclosure. Please be sure that you have the correct basking temps and that he can't come in contact with UVB &/or UVA Bulbs placed directly on top of screened enclosures. Not just from Basking Branch or ledge but from the critters clinging to the screen and traveling that way. The screen and light housing get extremely hot. Using a lamp stand for enclosures under 48" works well. 3 of my 4 Chams are in 48" enclosures though. Try placing a small, perhaps 1/4 to 1/2" heat resistant tile spaced under edges of light fixture. Rubber edged fixtures are also available. ( I'm long winded aren't I?)
Good Luck and lots of joy with your 4 legged baby!!❣

Back
Top Bottom