Veiled Chameleon Eats Anole

I really don't think you should be feeding him things that large...at only 5 1/5 months and the size he is-could cause some real problems. I hope that was not a wild caught anole-another set of parasite problems.

Thank you for your response. I have never fed him anything besides crickets after that. And no, it wasn't a wild anole but I'm just glad I didn't have any compaction problems afterwards. I guess I got lucky this time.

But I was just wondering, when, if anytime will it be appropriate to be feed my chameleon anoles?

Last edited:
I myself would never feed my Chams any other lizard or pinky mice or anything like that. I just don't believe in it...I can give them plenty of crickets, worms, roaches,moths,grasshoppers and such to where they have plenty of variety in their diet without having to feed them something like a anole..

Yeah, same. I would've never tried it but I read somewhere in the forums that pinky mice and lizards give calcium that insects cannot. Anyone can correct me if I misunderstood.

Yeah, same. I would've never tried it but I read somewhere in the forums that pinky mice and lizards give calcium that insects cannot. Anyone can correct me if I misunderstood.

yes. i heard the pinky mice do.
after all they have bones in them.
But, big food might cause an impaction; so. i would avoid them altogether.

Huh??

And no, it wasn't a wild anole

So you captive bred an anole and raised it up, only to feed it to a chameleon?

Now, I am not saying it's right or wrong to feed anoles to chameleons, but your statement was pretty clearly BS, right? It'd be like a fisherman living in the mountains of Utah bringing a rainbow trout home for dinner telling his wife he bought it at the fish breeder's place LOL....

Last edited:
So you captive bred an anole and raised it up, only to feed it to a chameleon?

Now, I am not saying it's right or wrong to feed anoles to chameleons, but your statement was pretty clearly BS, right? It'd be like a fisherman living in the mountains of Utah bringing a rainbow trout home for dinner telling his wife he bought it at the fish breeder's place LOL....
Ya lol...did you like keep the anole,then you got a cham and decided to give him it to eat?

He perhaps just bought the Anole from the local pet store to feed to his cham. While I wouldn't do that .. especially for pricing reasons ... it's not any different than feeding a mouse to a snake is it ??

Dyesub Dave. :D

Except rodents meant for animal food are "usually" bred in relatively clean conditions. To my knowledge, there is no one commercially breeding anoles. Sometimes they may successfully reproduce in captivity, in which case it might be possible to find babies for sale. That, however, appeared to be an adult which makes it 99.9% chance wild caught with all its associated parasites, etc.

Wow you guys are all over this lad...I have a question. I have heard that even commercially bread crickets can have parasites and it is very possible that you cham can is living a pretty healthy life with some parasites (yes I know no one wants their cham to have any kind of parasite), but does anyone know for sure about commercially bread crickets and/or other feeders?

p.s. I monthly treat my chams with Parazap just to be sure.

Anoles are easily bred. But not often done for the sake of their easy and cheap imports. You might find it odd, but seeing as the hobby here isn't as developped as below the border... In Canada they're are plenty of pet anole keepers breeding them or incubating eggs from WC females. It's not entirely uncommon to come accross CH or CBB anoles, Green, Brown, Cuban (I keep one atm, awesoem animal) even the odd white lip. There is no one commercially breeding them though. Commercially being the key word.

As far as Pinky mice having lots of calcium from having bones- at the stage where pinkies are most often sold, the bones havent calcified much yet. So, technically there is a huge jump in calcium from a pinky to a developped baby mouse. There is still calcium in them, but no more in comparison that a few large well grown silkworms wouldn't provide.

Crickets and other feeders, but crickets especially, are also prone to having parasites. Basically, unless your chameleon is a vegitarian (not happening) it's at risk of contracting some form of parasite from its food. Point is, it doesn't have to be from the wild to pass parasitic infections, so, that's why periodic fecal samples should be taken to and tested at an experienced vets.

LAD, it's your chameleon- but the cautions provided raise valid points.

There I was...

...in my humble abode passing time on the computer when I stumbled on something that caught my attention.

"Now, I am not saying it's right or wrong to feed anoles to chameleons, but your statement was pretty clearly BS,"

GOOD ONE! Again, I was unaware that there were so many precautions in feeding my chameleon an anole at such a young age but eh, it's my first chameleon. I bought the anole at a local pet store but I was unaware that anoles aren't commercially bred but thanks TylerStewart, you made your point. I joined this forum for the love of chameleons and a way to enhance my knowledge on how to care for them properly. I know I may not be an expert like TylerStewart, but maybe, just maybe, if I get soooooo lucky...I can talk garbage on the internet to a 17 year old adolescent who is just looking for some advice on how to better his husbandry for his pet.

I want to thank everyone who shed some light on this topic but I guess I need to be careful of what I say, cause ya never know when someone like TylerStewart is watching...:)

Last edited:
...in my humble abode passing time on the computer when I stumbled on something that caught my attention.

"Now, I am not saying it's right or wrong to feed anoles to chameleons, but your statement was pretty clearly BS,"

GOOD ONE! Again, I was unaware that there were so many precautions in feeding my chameleon an anole at such a young age but eh, it's my first chameleon. I bought the anole at a local pet store but I was unaware that anoles aren't commercially bred but thanks TylerStewart, you made your point. I joined this forum for the love of chameleons and a way to enhance my knowledge on how to care for them properly. I know I may not be an expert like TylerStewart, but maybe, just maybe, if I get soooooo lucky...I can talk garbage on the internet to a 17 year old adolescent who is just looking for some advice on how to better his husbandry for his pet.

I want to thank everyone who shed some light on this topic but I guess I need to be careful of what I say, cause ya never know when someone like TylerStewart is watching...:)

Perhaps you should consider your own part in this a little harder. Since you have come here for the purposes of learning, much like everyone else has, the importance of not saying things that aren't true should be more apparent. Instead of saying that you didn't know the source of the anole, you said it was cb. You're going to get called on obvious mistruths here. It has nothing to do with your age, sex, gender, ethnic background, political affiliation....

Yes, it is true and I will own up to it for saying it was captive bred. I just assumed that it was since thats what the worker at the store told me. But scrolling through these forums, I should have known better than to trust some of the things pet workers tell me LoL

Calm down, Lad, I wasn't acting agressively, and I didn't recruit the others that followed. I assumed that you caught the anole (as so many people do) and then proceeded to call it captive bred, so I'm sorry for assuming if it sounded harsh.

Will is dead right, there are people out there breeding them, but the people breeding them are not really the types that would let them go to a pet store. Also, pet stores commonly pay $1 or less for each WC anole that they buy (if they're paying more than that, they aren't shopping around). So it makes little sense for them to track down CB anoles from private breeders and buy them in small quantity (they only lay a few eggs at a time), when they can pick up 25 for $20-25 or so, adult sized and ready to sell tomorrow to people with hungry veiled chameleons.

Will also touched on a good point, that fuzzy or crawler mice have a much higher bone density than pink mice, and that bone density accelerates quickly in the first few weeks of life for a mouse. Alternatively, you could just dust your next batch of crickets with calcium; it's not that hard to come by. I have never seen a benefit of feeding occasional vertebrates over a diet of straight insects.

The parasite topic is a whole separate issue, but I think you get the idea by now.

Back
Top Bottom