veiled cham not eating after labour

shock1

after 5 days of labour and laying 62 eggs my cham wont eat her crickets but she is drinking water. it looks as though her vagina is still hanging out i have applied vasiline to it because i was worried it was lookin dry, what more can i do i have got mealworms ordered to see if she eats them instead. please help me!

after 5 days of labour and laying 62 eggs my cham wont eat her crickets but she is drinking water. it looks as though her vagina is still hanging out i have applied vasiline to it because i was worried it was lookin dry, what more can i do i have got mealworms ordered to see if she eats them instead. please help me!

Get some KY jelly, vasiline in not good to use...it can dry it out more.

shops

its sunday night here were i am i cant get ky untill tomorrow wen the shops are open im goin to try and upload a pic for u to inspect
i dont want her to pass away

im really low on money at the mo how much is a vet goin to cost me?

Borrow some money, post date a check or maybe the vet will let you make payments. The KY is only to keep it moist until the vet......it want heal it.

It sounds like she's had a prolapse whilst laying. I would make her an appointment with your nearest reptile vet, preferably one who has experience with chameleons.

Mealworms are not great, especially as she is already having problems with her rear end. Mealworms contain a high level of chitin (hard outer shell/skin) and when eaten in large quantities they can cause impaction. She really doesn't need this on top of her current problem. You can order soft feeders - silkworms and butterworms from here: http://www.butterworms.co.uk/index.html although silkworms are very often out of stock. I am also in the UK and have used that supplier several times now and have always been pleased with their service.

Do a search on cloacal prolapse on here - I am sure that there is something else that you can put on it to keep it moist. If I find the relevant info I will post it here for you.

POST PICTURES!!!!
We can tell a lot more from pictures than we can from a description. If you could post pictures it would help you & us.

Vets near you

Sazzy, a forum member in Liverpool recommended this vet, as the breeder from whom she purchased her cham has had many chams successfully treated by them--including surgeries:
http://www.village-vets.com/

Another Liverpool vet who treats reptiles--though I don't know his cham expertise, is:
http://www.vet4dragons.co.uk/

Hope she gets there in time--as this is truly a chameleon medical emergency.

been the vets

Thankyou all for ur help yesterday everyone advice was much needed.
I took her to the vets and he pushed her bum back in a stitched it she on new vitamins, pain killers and antibiotics. He was very shocked she was still alive after laying 65 eggs altogether. in the wild they wood normally die after a clutch that large. She still hasnt eaten iv got waxworms for her now but not much interest maybe tomorrow but she is drinking.
Thankyou everyone again i will try and get some pics on here so u can see how shes doin.

That's great news!

I'm very glad that she held-on and that you took her to the vet.
Since she has just been through so much, I'm not surprised she isn't hungry, just yet.
Which vet treated her?
62 eggs--hmm, makes me very grateful I'm not a chameleon :eek:

not good

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my vieled cham has been through a great ordeal she layed 65 eggs and prolapse the vet gave her medication and stitch her up 2 days ago i have continued with the medication and this morning found her laying on her side at the bottom of her cage. so iv gave her more medication today, but she hasnt eaten in days and she now wont drink on her own her eyes are quite sucken and she seems lifeless she cant keep her eyes open, do u think she is going to make it through the day?:(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my vieled cham has been through a great ordeal she layed 65 eggs and prolapse the vet gave her medication and stitch her up 2 days ago i have continued with the medication and this morning found her laying on her side at the bottom of her cage. so iv gave her more medication today, but she hasnt eaten in days and she now wont drink on her own her eyes are quite sucken and she seems lifeless she cant keep her eyes open, do u think she is going to make it through the day?:(

This doesn't sound good. I would get her back to the vets and find out what's going on.

shes gone

she nevr made it, she past before 7:00 pm im so upset she was like my little mate.:(:(:(

I am so sorry. It's amazing how they become part of the family. There's something about chams that is different to any furry pet. They just seem special, and it is so hard to lose one. I know just how that feels. My thoughts are with you, and may she rest in peace, bless her.

Back
Top Bottom