Veiled Cham Egg Size Differences

NDeuser

I have a 1-2yr old female cham who just laid her second clutch of eggs (her first was three months ago). The first clutch is in an incubator and all look well. They are all nice and plump and white and the size of an oversized peanut M&M. She had 33 eggs with this first clutch. Her second clutch contained 42 eggs. These eggs were still "white" but slighlty yellowed and were only half the size of her first clutch eggs. She is in a large vibv with a male and has been confirmed mating at least a 1-2 months before the laying of each clutch. Could this be from a calcium/vitamin deficiency during her egg production period. Do Veiled normally flucuate egg sizes based on number of eggs in the clutch (i.e. more, smaller eggs vs. fewer, larger eggs). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It is possible that they are infertile if they are slightly yellowed but always treat your eggs as though they are healthy until they for sure go bad. No sense in throwing something out that could have a cute little veiled in it right?

It is possible that they are infertile if they are slightly yellowed but always treat your eggs as though they are healthy until they for sure go bad. No sense in throwing something out that could have a cute little veiled in it right?

Absolutely-I incubate anything until it goes bad.

This reminds me of that YouTube video that has the pictures of the egg that was fertile with a baby cham in it.. sad stuff...

My Ambilobe laid 33 eggs yesterday, they are SMALL but nice and white so they are in a incuator. Cross your fingers for me, and I will hope for yours:)

size differences

there is deffinitely a correlation between clutch size and egg size, a chamelons body is a finite space, but the number of eggs can vary hugely! Saem theory goes for the babies themselves, higher temperatures, quicker hatching but smaller babies. Lower temps can take a long time, but the babies will generally be better developed... Obviously these are generalizations, and you dont want to jeopardize the little'uns... But congratulations! You've triumphed over one of the most difficult times in a female chameleon's existence... and best of luck too you!

Back
Top Bottom