Veiled being a picky

Kmw

When we first brought out rescue veiled, Kale, home. He was a really excellent eater. Right now I feed both guys a mix of crickets and super worms every other day. When i would put his crickets and worms in he'd eat his crickets pretty quickly, and his 1-2 worms. But all of it was usually eaten.

About a week-week and a half ago I noticed he was only eating his supers, and that most (if not all) of his crickets remained. I've been trying to get him to eat his crickets before I gave him any more worms. I tried not feeding for a couple days, then putting in crickets - but they'd still go mostly (Again, if not all) uneaten!

My panther is so good, but then again he's always had a good variety of food even before I had him. Kale came from a home where he didn't have the best of care, And I doubt he ever saw anything besides crickets for feeders.

i'd really like to be able to feed him a variety, and as of right now the only feeders i have are supers, crickets and a horn-worm a week for a little something extra. Dubia is something i've been thinking about (But, illegal here.. so that's probably a no-go..) Silkworms i've been looking for but been having trouble finding them for a reasonable price.

Is there anything I can do to persuade Kale to eat crickets again? I caved today and gave him supers, (Those were gone lickety-split) I don't wanna starve him! I just want him to cooperate. :rolleyes:

first stop feeding supers.

hes trained you, you cave and he gets what he wants!

my panther went on a cricket strike for 2 months, fortunatly, i had silkworms.

but when silkworms became unavailable... i tried crickets again.. and he gobbled them up like it was candy!!

so, dont offer crickets for a few days, or supers!! and see what happens./

Maybe he wants somethin new? Have you ever thought of dubias roaches? They're super easy to keep and even easier to feed off than crickets. And silkworms seem to.be a favorite of many peoples chams. I've never tried supers tho but my cham is kind of small.

He went a few days without anything, still had zero interest in crickets.

Dubia are illegal here ;) this isn't saying i'll never get them. But as it stands right now that's not exactly an option.

They're illegal wth?? Haha well.. is there locust or some type of worms? You probably have more experience than meh but I'm tryin to help:)

Reactions: Kmw
I believe that's another on the illegal list, anything that isn't supposed to be here and is a 'pest'.

Inconveniently that's anything that makes great feeder bugs! I know dubia ARE available sometimes (through shady underground illegal bug trades) but I don't think i've ever seen locusts for sale.

i believe that's another on the illegal list, anything that isn't supposed to be here and is a 'pest'.

Inconveniently that's anything that makes great feeder bugs! I know dubia are available sometimes (through shady underground illegal bug trades) but i don't think i've ever seen locusts for sale.

hahahahaha!!!!!!

North america cant have locusts as feeders.

canada and florida cant have dubias.

the UK cant have hornworms.

:D

Reactions: Kmw
Well I gave him some romaine and strawberry pieces. Not that it will make up for him not eating crickets or anything, but it's nice to see him eat something that isn't a super/horn worm. :rolleyes:

I've heard the penalties for having banned bugs are absurd. I'd just try another variety of feeder if a certain type is banned in your area.

Back
Top Bottom