Chameleon being picky

Lxcky

My chameleon has been used to only crickets daily and horn worms for treats but I tried switching her staple food a bit by adding bsf larvae but she won’t eat them at all and idk what to do to get her to eat them

My chameleon has been used to only crickets daily and horn worms for treats but I tried switching her staple food a bit by adding bsf larvae but she won’t eat them at all and idk what to do to get her to eat them

Okay so a few things here:

- Chameleons DO go through "picky" spurts. All you can do is keep offering different bugs and finding which bugs she will eat over time.
- You always want to offer a variety when possible. You don't want 1 "staple" food. For example, I typically offer Spike 2-3 "staple" feeders at a time on a daily basis (BSFL, Crickets, Silkworms, & hatched BSF when they hatch)
- What is your setup for feeding her the BSFL? I put mine in a green cup, specifically, so that it kind of looks 'natural' in the enclosure, and because the BSFL really stick out from the color of the container. I use a large bird feeder cup.
- Are you sure it's a picky situation and not a 'gravid' situation? I believe once they become gravid, they tend to not eat as much. If you aren't sure, usually her brighter colors will come out. Don't hesitate to take pics and ask if you need assistance with that.

Assuming she's just being picky: Keep offering BSFL. She won't let herself starve with food available. Make sure the feeder cup you use is BELOW where she stands. Here is an example of my setup

20231022_110833COPY.jpg

so I attached a photo of her enclosure and I use a cut up soda fountain cup and I burned the edges so it isn’t sharp and hurt her and it’s see through which Ik it’s not the best that’s why I bought some feeder cups like you said you use and should get here in a day or two but I tried putting 2 crickets in with some larvae and she seems to just ignore the large and eat the crickets only I have tried in the past with roaches as well and she didn’t eat them but as soon as she see’s the crickets she is after then right away she loves hornworms tho she has no problem eating them but people have told me that she seems ready to lay eggs and I’ve set up a laying bin in the back and try not to bother her a lot but I haven’t seen her leave any holes or anything or even at least try to go down there
IMG_1424.jpeg

so I attached a photo of her enclosure and I use a cut up soda fountain cup and I burned the edges so it isn’t sharp and hurt her and it’s see through which Ik it’s not the best that’s why I bought some feeder cups like you said you use and should get here in a day or two but I tried putting 2 crickets in with some larvae and she seems to just ignore the large and eat the crickets only I have tried in the past with roaches as well and she didn’t eat them but as soon as she see’s the crickets she is after then right away she loves hornworms tho she has no problem eating them but people have told me that she seems ready to lay eggs and I’ve set up a laying bin in the back and try not to bother her a lot but I haven’t seen her leave any holes or anything or even at least try to go down there View attachment 347457
If you really want to get her to try them... I wouldn't put any other bugs in there for now. I know that sounds to counter what I said before, but the idea is to give her no choice. Once she eats them she will probably continue to eat them because they love them!

Then you can add other bugs back in again

If you really want to get her to try them... I wouldn't put any other bugs in there for now. I know that sounds to counter what I said before, but the idea is to give her no choice. Once she eats them she will probably continue to eat them because they love them!

Then you can add other bugs back in again
What if it take a couple days to a week

So I have found that my guy will not eat them if they don’t move much. He LOVES dubia and will eat those first always. I put them in a shallow cup and hold the cup in my hand. With the BSFL, if they aren’t moving too much, I gently shake the cup a tiny bit so they move around and he will go after them right away.

What if it take a couple days to a week
She won't let herself starve. I think you should try it a couple days. If you give her even just a few crickets she'll prob keep holding her ground. But I understand if you get nervous. I would too lol

So I have found that my guy will not eat them if they don’t move much. He LOVES dubia and will eat those first always. I put them in a shallow cup and hold the cup in my hand. With the BSFL, if they aren’t moving too much, I gently shake the cup a tiny bit so they move around and he will go after them right away.
Thats funny because Spike to this day has not eaten a single dubia. Absolutely refuses. But he will eat BSFL like there's no tomorrow.

Bilbo so far will only eat BSFL, BSF, silk worms on occasion, moths and the occasional wax worm. He won’t touch Dubia or supers.
Where do you get moths from!? And what kind are you using? Or are you just allowing your silks to develop into moths?

I let some silks develop into moths and I also let wax worms develop into moths as well :)
ahh interesting. I may have to try some wax worms. Still haven't even tried those. Spike annihilates his silks WAY too fast to let me develop them into moths.

I had to order smalls from Frams last week and this weekend I had to place another order of mediums because they just aren't growing fast enough for him to eat and I'm feeding them every day. Sometimes in morning and night lol

ahh interesting. I may have to try some wax worms. Still haven't even tried those. Spike annihilates his silks WAY too fast to let me develop them into moths.

I had to order smalls from Frams last week and this weekend I had to place another order of mediums because they just aren't growing fast enough for him to eat and I'm feeding them every day. Sometimes in morning and night lol
I just ordered medium silks and silk food from Frams. I'm gonna see how big they will grow. I ordered 75 medium fro
20231203_122011.jpg
m a different seller and received extra small! I will need to feed/grow them 3 weeks before they are big enough to feed off. UGH! That means I'm going to the pet store for crickets - which I hate.

I just ordered medium silks and silk food from Frams. I'm gonna see how big they will grow. I ordered 75 medium froView attachment 347535m a different seller and received extra small! I will need to feed/grow them 3 weeks before they are big enough to feed off. UGH! That means I'm going to the pet store for crickets - which I hate.
Wow that's really disappointing if you purchased mediums!! Those look pretty small and not too many. I've mostly been buying mine from Frams. They seem to give the most for the best price after shipping! I like to buy them small to save money and let them grow. But sometimes I gotta get them at medium size to supplement lol Spike eats them so fast!

Wow that's really disappointing if you purchased mediums!! Those look pretty small and not too many. I've mostly been buying mine from Frams. They seem to give the most for the best price after shipping! I like to buy them small to save money and let them grow. But sometimes I gotta get them at medium size to supplement lol Spike eats them so fast!
That should be 25 medium 🤣. It's more like 17 extra small. I won't reveal the seller but never again will I purchase. I have placed a order with Frams. I'm setting my room up to breed silks and hornworns. I've got 2 different breeds of grasshopper breeders but I haven't seen any action 🤣. Hopefully soon.

That should be 25 medium 🤣. It's more like 17 extra small. I won't reveal the seller but never again will I purchase. I have placed a order with Frams. I'm setting my room up to breed silks and hornworns. I've got 2 different breeds of grasshopper breeders but I haven't seen any action 🤣. Hopefully soon.
I had the same experience in the past and I chose not to mention them either. IDK if it's the same company but I dont bother buying from there anymore. I don't expect more but I certainly don't expect less either. They're not cheap! With that being said I always get more with Frams.

Back
Top Bottom