vegetarian chameleon?

Oh and he has been hand fed since the day I brought him home and this is the first time he has rejected it from my hand, since his rejection I have tried a feeder cup and a feeder dish, he still continues to refuse.

My veiled cham is about 8 months old and about 2 weeks ago I introduced him to kale he absolutely loves it so much to the point where he is no longer eating crickets, I offer crickets daily and stopped giving him any kale for a few days in hopes he would eat some crickets but alas he completely refuses, today I finally caved in and put some kale in his terrarium and he immediately started eating the kale happy as can be, I dont know what to do anymore I obviously cant let him starve but I know he cant continue on this vegetarian diet.
What is you supplement schedule looking like ?? Sounds like he’s trying to balance some thing .

I just saw the help form . He’s a handsome devil. 8 months he’s heading into the teen years ;) . Do you have an exotic vet in case he continues on not eating ?

This is an easy fix. Your the boss, not him.

Pull the kale permanently and only offer bugs. He will not starve himself to death, they can go weeks without eating. Hatch some BSFL and toss them in, you'll get a much stronger feeding response from flying prey.

Its also not unusual for them to go on hunger strikes at this age. I think your solution is to be firm in offering insects only. Think of it like making your kids eat their veggies, gotta be firm.

Personally I would take the tough love route and not feed him for a few days then offer a variety of feeders. If he refuses to eat wait a few more, he’s nice and healthy and definitely won’t starve.

Bill

It doesnt really matter because he wont take them from me anyways, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get him more interested in eating insects again, because as of now the only thing he willingly eats is kale.
Catch flies, let them roam in the cage, or a moth. Even a few crickets and some roaches. I guarantee he will give in and devour them

Your husbandry is incorrect. Calcium without d3 every day, vitamins twice a month, and calcium with d3 once a month. Get a linear uvb bulb, a t5ho, or else he will not remain healthy. Stop feeding at night and feed only in the morning, as to allow proper digestion. Humidity is also a little high. Drop the mealworms, they give no nutrition. What size is the cage?

Back
Top Bottom