vegetarian chameleon?

SarahR8822

My veiled cham is about 8 months old and about 2 weeks ago I introduced him to kale he absolutely loves it so much to the point where he is no longer eating crickets, I offer crickets daily and stopped giving him any kale for a few days in hopes he would eat some crickets but alas he completely refuses, today I finally caved in and put some kale in his terrarium and he immediately started eating the kale happy as can be, I dont know what to do anymore I obviously cant let him starve but I know he cant continue on this vegetarian diet.

Last edited:
I have tried other insects and so far he has refused them as well he will occasionally eat a few bits of apple but that's the only fruit he will nibble on. I'm more concerned with why he continues to refuse insects, I have tried crickets, grasshoppers, wax worms, super worms, meal worms and roaches so far he refuses them all.

Why not? I know they are both ok as "treats" for chams but should not be givin regularly, however with his newfound aversion to insects if he would take 2 or 3 from me I would probably have let him.

Is his tongue working?
What are you dusting the insects with?
He's not going to be getting proper nutrition just eating kale.
Yes his tongue is fine
Is his tongue working?
What are you dusting the insects with?
He's not going to be getting proper nutrition just eating kale.
Yes his tongue is fine he shoots it out to eat his kale most of the time, I dust with rep cal with and without D3 depending on the day. And i know he's not hetting the proper nutretion that's why I'm trying to figure out how to get him to want insects again

The thing that really gets me is he's visibly healthy, his poop and urine look normal no discoloration and he's deffinently not dehydrated his eyes function normally and his last shed he did with total ease as far as I can tell his health is 100% why he has no interest in insects I havent the slightest clue

I'm just afraid if he continues to not eat insects he will eventually develop health issues. The problem is that by the time he shows signs of something being wrong it will be too late to solve it.

Maybe try again, remove the kale and replace with an insect or two?
Do you cup feed? Do you dust the kale?

My veiled cham is about 8 months old and about 2 weeks ago I introduced him to kale he absolutely loves it so much to the point where he is no longer eating crickets, I offer crickets daily and stopped giving him any kale for a few days in hopes he would eat some crickets but alas he completely refuses, today I finally caved in and put some kale in his terrarium and he immediately started eating the kale happy as can be, I dont know what to do anymore I obviously cant let him starve but I know he cant continue on this vegetarian diet.

Chameleons can not survive on vegetarian diet because they can not digest it or only extremely limitedly
Stop giving him kale, he does not need it
Offer him variety of feeders, best flies, he will startt eating for sure

This:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Maybe feed the crickets kale so that they taste kaleish to your chameleon?

Also if kale tastes anything like algae maybe try looking into algae powder to dust your crickets with? That way they taste like algae, that might work maybe.

I'm just afraid if he continues to not eat insects he will eventually develop health issues. The problem is that by the time he shows signs of something being wrong it will be too late to solve it.

How long has he been on just kale?

I realize you know much of the obvious.

Animals can be odd. He can’t live on it obviously. But if he ate it for a month I don’t think it would kill him. Usually animals craving takes over and they eat what they should.
But sometimes odd diets mean something. A fecal test might be worthwhile.

Otherwise if he looks healthy and it doesn’t go too long, I would not panic.

If it has been a while you could force feed. I have seen this work with other lizards, but usually with new foods. Maybe he needs a taste again.

• Your Chameleon - Channible Lector, veiled cham, about 8 months old, been with me since he was 5-6 weeks old
  • Handling - He is not a social butterfly and gets very stressed when I have to handle him so I avoid doing so except for when its necessary, such as cleaning his cage.
  • Feeding - crickets, grasshoppers, super worms, meal worms, wax, worms. Typically 10-15 insects daily split between morning and night. Feeders eat kale, bananas, apples and carrots.
  • Supplements - repti cal w/o D3 3 times a week and repti cal with D3 once every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - he has a little dripper, and I mist his entire cage 3-4 times daily depending on his coloration, plus he also has a water dish, oddly enough he does not prefer to get his water off the leafs in his habitat but instead prefers to lap it up out of his water dish.
  • Fecal Description - color and consistency of his poo and urine are normal no discoloration on either.
  • History - unlike other chams I have encountered he is super active and frequently explores every nook and corner of his cage.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - open air terriruim
  • Lighting - LUCKY HERP 100 Watt UVA UVB Mercury Vapor Bulb Self-Ballasted UV Heat Lamp/Bulb/Light for Reptile and Amphibian
  • Temperature - temp stays between 80-85°f he has multiple basking spots at different levels of his cage to ensure he can bask at any point in his cage and quickly retreat to shade if need be lights go on at about 6am and get turned off when he retreats to his preferred sleeping branch
  • Humidity - stays about 60-65% access to water through misting, little driller and water bowl
  • Plants - currently not using live plants, in hope of getting him to eat live insects
  • Placement - alternates between living room and outside depending on tempatures, weatherand time of day. My living room is not a high traffic area.
  • Location - Kentucky
Current Problem - refuses to eat anything other than kale.

Attachments

• 20200229_201616.jpg
    20200229_201616.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 146
  • FB_IMG_1583314201068.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583314201068.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 261
  • FB_IMG_1583314249053.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583314249053.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom