Vacation question

Hi everyone, I hope everyone’s chameleons are doing well.
I am heading out to mammoth for thanksgiving for four days, so I am thinking on my options here. My closest friends are coming with us so I don’t have anyone here who could take care of my year old female panther.
So me options are:
•Find a place who could take her, I live in Anaheim CA so the only one I could find or think of is Chameo, sent her a message but she hasn’t respoded yet, and I don’t know if she would take a cham for 4 days.
•Leave her at home, my setup is 100% automated, but I don’t know how to deal with the food, and four days seems a lot.
•Take her with me on a smaller enclosure, which is the least preferred option since it is cold in mammoth and its a long drive.
Suggestions?

When none of my family is available to help me, I usually hire a neighborhood kid to come by when we go out of town. I have 5 reptiles, 3 different speices, (plus 3 dogs, so boarding would probably cost as much as my vacation for all of them)
I have him come over before I leave to go over all the instructions, then I leave notes on each cage for what they need.
Not sure if you have any trust worthy neighbors, but it's always worth asking ;)

Power feed for a couple days before you leave, she’ll be fine. If everything is automated, 4 days without feeding won’t hurt. If you are really worried, put a dozen or so feeders in a cup right before you leave. Then you would only have 3 days without food. Both are more than tolerable for her.

do you have any family members near by that may be willing to just feed your cham, its either that or an exotic vet as @ERKleRose suggested is a great idea
There’s allot of chameleon keepers around Anaheim CA. Make a new thread with petsitter needed in Anaheim CA and see if you get any replies. You may need to take her to their house.
No family members in the area and i recently move here so I don’t really have neighbors that I can trust

Then I suggest some of the other options listed here, like throwing in some feeders before you leave or BSFL or pupae that are about to pupate if you have any
Thank you, yes I am considering that, I bought a camera on amazon for $25 so I can check on her while I’m gone.
Also, I was thinking on changir her schedule slowly to the point that she wakes up at night, that way I can leave food for her for Thursday night and she would only have to deal with Friday and Saturday by her own, Ill be back Sunday night. Do you think is a good idea?

Thank you, yes I am considering that, I bought a camera on amazon for $25 so I can check on her while I’m gone.
Also, I was thinking on changir her schedule slowly to the point that she wakes up at night, that way I can leave food for her for Thursday night and she would only have to deal with Friday and Saturday by her own, Ill be back Sunday night. Do you think is a good idea?
What do you mean changing her schedule?

On adjusting the timer for the lights and misting for like one or two hours later every day, so by next week she’ll be waking up in the afternoon instead of the morning, would it make sense or it’s unnecessary?
I personally wouldn’t do it, but maybe someone else can chime in.

I would just fill everything up to the max, toss in what you’d usually feed plus a little extra and leave it, she’ll be fine without food for a few days

Back
Top Bottom