Vacation question

Just remember the K.I.S.S. system. I see a lot of over analyzing on these forums. This isn’t nesesarily a bad thing, but causes us all unneeded stress. Chameleons are simple creatures, and therefore need good basic husbandry. Outside of cage furnishings and cage size, I try to remind myself that less is more. That being said, stressing over my reptilian companions helps me forget the stresses of everyday life.

Your chameleon will be fine for four days without food. And, if you set up a cup and put five crickets in it then they may be without food for only three days. Three days is no problem for an adult chameleon and is actually a more healthy feeding schedule than what many of us do! I always like to have an automated watering system going and automated lights. There is no need to worry about food.
The one thing that is worth worrying about is the heat lamp and making sure that is completely secure and cannot be tipped over. As you are in Anaheim you are in earthquake area. Make extra sure that a minor tremor will not knock off your heat lamp and the timer turn it on where it has fallen and possible catches the area on fire. Obviously, the probability of an earthquake happening, it being big enough to knock over your lamp, the lamp falling by a combustable material with the bulb unbroken, and it actually catching on fire is a pretty low probability. But with your entire house at stake it is worth being paranoid!
If you want to hear some guy go on and on about how to go on vacation with chameleons at home you can go listen to this podcast episode and then come back here and discuss what you think.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/episode-003-vacations-and-chameleons/

Your chameleon will be fine for four days without food. And, if you set up a cup and put five crickets in it then they may be without food for only three days. Three days is no problem for an adult chameleon and is actually a more healthy feeding schedule than what many of us do! I always like to have an automated watering system going and automated lights. There is no need to worry about food.
The one thing that is worth worrying about is the heat lamp and making sure that is completely secure and cannot be tipped over. As you are in Anaheim you are in earthquake area. Make extra sure that a minor tremor will not knock off your heat lamp and the timer turn it on where it has fallen and possible catches the area on fire. Obviously, the probability of an earthquake happening, it being big enough to knock over your lamp, the lamp falling by a combustable material with the bulb unbroken, and it actually catching on fire is a pretty low probability. But with your entire house at stake it is worth being paranoid!
If you want to hear some guy go on and on about how to go on vacation with chameleons at home you can go listen to this podcast episode and then come back here and discuss what you think.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/episode-003-vacations-and-chameleons/
Thank you, yes, I am a little paranoid about that too, the lamps and water containers are secured.
I'm leaving Thursday morning so I can leave feed her and leave extra food that will hopefully last till the next day, so it's only two days with no food. I have a camera and I'll be checking on her, if something happens I can send a friend (who lives 40 miles away!).
I'll check out that podcast! Thank you!

I’d like to thank everyone for the help!
She made it just fine, misting and dripping containers had plenty of water left and I checked via webcam and she had some dubias left even the 3rd day, and none when I arrived.

Back
Top Bottom