UVB lamps

On every 16X16X30 cage I have an 18" Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 since they fit the 30 inch cages so well. On 24" cages I have 24" bulbs. On Reptariums I have 10.0's due to the darker mesh, but if the cham hangs from the cage top, like babies do, the light has to be elevated. I use 60W or 75W standard household bulbs for heat lamps depending on age of cham and placement of bulb. My electric bill is yucky. A good thermometer is essential.

On every 16X16X30 cage I have an 18" Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 since they fit the 30 inch cages so well. On 24" cages I have 24" bulbs. On Reptariums I have 10.0's due to the darker mesh, but if the cham hangs from the cage top, like babies do, the light has to be elevated. I use 60W or 75W standard household bulbs for heat lamps depending on age of cham and placement of bulb. My electric bill is yucky. A good thermometer is essential.

Maybe using more purposeful heat lamps that have built in reflectors with lower wattage? or UVA lamps so you get the full use of your power?

I am not saying your setup doesn't work. I just try to buy lamps I can justify paying to operate.

I got the Reptisun 5.0 and its like 4 or 5 inches long and is like 3 inches from the screen.Is that right?

Last edited:
hey, have any of you UV meter owners ever measured the UV output from those curly, fluorescent bulbs from departments stores? Do they have any UV output?

Duke

Sage, What everyone is telling you is reptisun 5.0 eighteen or twenty four inch flourescent tube. Not the short one you have now. Even though it's a retisun 5.0. OK, thats a reptisun 5.0 LONG tube. REPTISUN. Hope that helps. Good luck in your journey! David

Sage, if your light looks like this:
IMG_6404RS.jpg

It is not a tube lamp.

A tube lamp looks like this (the long lamp):
IMG_6405RS.jpg

uv lighting

hey all, what is wrong with the compact uv lights, the curly one's. It seems as if you'all dislike them. Well I am wondering why?

I don't think compacts are a good idea. I would stick with 5.0 tubes. If you have a large enclosure 10.0 works well to get UV deeper into the cage.

I don't think compacts are a good idea. I would stick with 5.0 tubes. If you have a large enclosure 10.0 works well to get UV deeper into the cage.

Ok i think the tubes is best to but in this case it isn't an option. :(
The ceiling is to close to the top of the cages so there is no room for it.

The cage's i use is Hieght:1m X Width:0,50m X Lenght 1m

So the question is shall i replace the Compact Lamps for the 5.0 version ?

I will get them a new cage so they can be housed together after newyear.

The UVguide don't really tells me anything i understand so i ask the experienced keepers here instead.

And another thing my english i poor, so i hope you can understand me.

Best Regards
Daniel

laser gecko

hey thanx for that link. I will be taking action immediately to remove this bulb from my use. Ironically, I had been noticing my cham's eyes looked a little strange, but I chalked it up to maybe dehydration (they looked kind of sunk in and a little discolored). I am new at this so my guesses are less educated than some others.

OK i have looked to the UVguide one more time know when i got home from work. And what i can understand of what it say it is that some Compact lamp is harmfull to our belowed chameleons. I have decided to switch my 10.0 lamps for a 5.0 lamp. Hope i do the right thing know.

I will try to post som pics on my enclosures so you all can see if i'm doing the right thing.

Best Regards
Daniel

Back
Top Bottom