UVB lamps

Sage

I need help beacause in a past post someone said certian UVB lamps can make them blind.I have a "Desert 7% UVB Coil-Lamp" then it says 20 watt.I want to make sure this is ok.Does it make them blind or not?

The brand is Coralife and it is 4 inches from the screen.
Howdy,

Kind of a tricky question but with somewhat of a simple solution. Coralife is (was) marketed by ESU. ESU was bought-up by the company that sells the R-Zilla UVB product line. The R-Zilla UVB tubes are the ones that recently caused the eye injuries (and death) of chameleons and other species. For the most part, they've been pulled from the market until they've been re-formulated. Your tube is likely not one of the offending ones but as mentioned, your best bet is to replace it with a linear (NOT COMPACT) Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 tube or any length and place it 6"-12" away from your chameleon. In general the ESU UVB producing products of the past had a poor reputation because of their LACK of UVB rather than their excessive production of UVB, especially UVB that was "out of band" lying closer to the dangerous UVC spectral zone.

You may be using a simple Zoomed basking lamp for heat. They don't produce any UVB.

I agree with Dave Weldon!
Coral life ??? sounds like something designed for fish.
I don't know.
I second (or third or fourth) the recommendation of the Zoomed 5.0 flourescent tube.

-Brad

UV Index on the 10.0 is intense. The UVB comes in at about 45-55 microwatts at 8-10"s so if you keep your cham in a large enclosure and do not let him get above the 10" mark or so the UVB is great. You also want a ton of foilage due to the High UVIndex. Only other note is the UVA on the 10.0 is really really poor so make sure your basking lamp puts out enough UVA or your background lighting has enough UVA.

Otherwise even in a big enclosure a Reptisun 5.0 is fine with an aluminun reflector (foil works great).

So...i use a long strip UV light bulb thing(whatever you call them),is 10.0 too strong for them?
Howdy,

Although the Reptisun 10.0 tube produces more UVB energy, that can be mitigated by placing it farther away. The downsides to the 10.0 tube are that there is still a potential to receive what some consider to be too much UVB if your chameleon gets too close for too long. This can easily happen if you have a screen climber who crawls right under a 10.0 tube for extended periods. The other thing that can be an issue is that to produce more UVB, the tube's visible spectrum has more of a bluish tint which may have unintended psychological consequences. There are keepers who use the Reptisun 10.0 linear tube without noticeable ill effects. The simplest answer is still to stick with the Reptisun 5.0 linear tube for now. The whole issue of UVB and chameleons is complex and with a lot of variables.

What will happen if a chameleon gets to much UVB? What are some of the signs? I have a 10.0 but they never get closer then 10 inches. When I happen to see them under the UVB light they usually don't stay under the light that long.

What type of bulp do you recomend beacause Im just a little confused.

I think what you will hear from most of the folks here (note I did not say all hee hee) is the safest bet is a Reptisun 5.0 tube NOT the compact lamp that screws into a dome fixture.

Hope that helps!

mmk,Louie doesnt get near 10 inches from it or closer,i put 2,4x4 pieces of wood between the light and the cage so its not as close as it was. But still your saying to go with the 5.0?

does any one know?
HOwdy,

If you are asking what mfgr/make/model UVB light is most often recommended then the answer is ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube. Use whatever length that physically works for your setup. It's okay for it to be shorter or longer than the enclosure. Just make sure to put it on top and aim it downward.

Sage, not sure why you are still confused "the safest bet is a Reptisun 5.0 tube NOT the compact lamp that screws into a dome fixture." I tossed out should be the answer. Dave has tossed that out too. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom