UVB/Basking quick question(s)!

Bizzle90

How far does the UVB 5.0 have to be from the basking spot? I have high perks, and low perks in my tank..

Can the UVB be too close?

What's a correct temperature radiant for a 3-4 month old panther?

It depends on lots of things. If you have a soft mesh cage, then you need to make sure the light is at least an inch or two above the highest point the mesh could get if your chameleon stood on the highest branch (because they can push the mesh up). If your cage is screen, you just need to be above the screen enough that the screen is not burning hot. Only a temperature gauge will tell you what that needs to be.

UVB bulbs put out very little heat. There should be no need to elevate it above the cage. The farther it is from the cage, the lower the UVB penetration.

The basking spot should have UVB coverage.

I would suggest completing the how to ask for help form to give everyone a better idea on your setup.

my uvb fixture sit directly on the cage. the bulb to basking or any perching site to the bulb is about 5-6 inch away. i also dont notice extreme heat coming from my linear tubes.

UVB bulbs put out very little heat. There should be no need to elevate it above the cage. The farther it is from the cage, the lower the UVB penetration.

I would suggest completing the how to ask for help form to give everyone a better idea on your setup.

Here's my set-up currently, it's almost finished!

I wouldn't put the bulb in a place where the animal can basically come into contact with it.

I wouldn't raise the UVB above the cage unless you have a really small one. The uvb is effective at 12 inches max. I have my basking lamp pointed underneath my uvb, because they need heat to make use of it.

My UVB bulb gets too hot to even touch, it's a Reptisun 5.0, is that unusual? I have it sitting on the screen but there is 6"+ inches between the highest point my cham can get to and the top.

Back
Top Bottom