UV Lighting

Reddogzz

Is there a difference between small UVB bulbs that coil like a glass spring

full

and small UVB (same height) that are in double slender tubes like several paperclips?

full

Are both these considered CFL?
I usually rely on natural sunlight but I figured I should ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, both are CFL. I am not sure if there is a difference between the two. Maybe wattage of the lamp?

There had been some reports in the past of CFL's damaging reptile's eyes. Today, most keepers believe those issues have been corrected, however, just recently here on CF, an experienced keeper had eye trouble that he could correlate to his CFLs.

The tube lights provide greater coverage of UVB without the concentration of a "hot spot" made by the CFLs, hence why they are usually preferred.

Yes the looooooong ones :)
They aren't too heavy or hot and can go on cages with the softer fiberglass mesh. I prefer to let the cage frame take as much weight as possible to avoid deforming the mesh.

By soft cage I mean I use nylon mesh cages with zippered entry and pvc frame. They rest of $20 worth of plastic tubs that funnel the dirty water into a tube that leads out the window into a planter box.

So I need a light that can be set on top of the PVC cages.

I would buy two separate fixtures, that gives you more flexibility in the future. Otherwise, just get a fixture that is the full length of both cages. For a normal size cage anything under 4ft tall, you can use UVB bulbs marked either 5.0 or 6% (depends on brand). One bulb will be plenty. The cheaper brand bulbs only last about 6 months so they need to be replaced. The light still is on but it no longer puts out UV.

You also need a heat generating basking lamp, and depending on what plants you have, a 6500k grow light would also be very good.

I strongly recommend Light Your Reptile fixtures and the Arcadia bulbs. A little on the expensive side but excellent fixtures and excellent light quality. When I upgraded from the ZooMed or Zilla (can't remember), the difference was spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom