UVB fixtures zoomed or arcadia?

Wumbo

Which brand do you like more? Lots of mixed reviews... I see the arcadia kit is expensive even on Amazon but Ive found a few cheaper brands. Which fixtures are reliable? I have a 2x2x4 cage but I see some people put their uvb diagonal, is that better to do?

Also whats the difference between the zoomed 24" and 30"? they both take the 22" bulb so Im confused why its even a thing

Same here use Arcadia , but they’re kind of hard to find at times . And their jungle Dawns work the best for me when it comes to plant lighting also . I swapped out all of mine For this set up it is working great

Hi Folks. 2 things of note.

When using this particular style fixture,
please keep in mind they do come in 2 types now.
In the most common 22" size.
And they are identical looking.

One is made with a HO (high out-put) ballast that dives a 24 watt bulb.

And one now comes made with a low out-put ballast that is only engineered to run a 14w bulb.

The 14w fixture is IDENTICAL looking and made with a ballast that only runs a 14 watt Bulb (Nominal Out-put).

A 22" unit made for a 14w bulb will not not properly drive a 24w HO bulb... and vice versa.

For most Cham applications....
you probably will want the one that drives the HO 24 watt bulb*.

(*Except in the case of Carpet chams in a shallow cage and / or baby chams that are in "shallow" cages where they are close to the bulb(s).
The "ShadeDweller" Nominal Out-put version of the 22" fixture that has the 14w bulb may be a better choice.
The 14w version could be a good choice for Carpet chams and / or baby chams that are in "shallow" cages where they are close to the bulb(s).
An example of one that drives a 14 watt bulb is this: https://www.arcadiareptile.com/shadedweller/max/ . )

Again,
It is good to be aware now there are 2 types of this fixture on the market that LOOK ALIKE at a glance.

When in doubt,
just check the "fine print" stamped on the fixture!

It will tell you if it is designed to drive a 14w or 24w T5 Bulb.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these fixtures have a good reflector with a tight "curve" to it that CONCENTRATES the UV pretty darn well.

PLEASE keep this in mind when choosing between a 6% or 12% bulb.

Folks that use 12% bulbs in other designs of fixtures may be over-doing it when using a 12% bulb in this particular fixture.

The 12% bulbs *pack a punch* when used in these fixtures because of how well the reflector concentates & reflects the rays.⚠️

And a 12% bulb used for Chams in this type of HO fixture could potentially over-do the UV if used on cages / set ups with:

A.
Perches set too close to the light.

B.
On baby Chams and shade loving species of Chams.

C.
When used over SMALLER CAGES.

D.
Cages without AMPLE SHADE.
Cages that are especially deficient in shade UP at the TOP OF THE CAGE should checked for safe UV levels when using a 12% bulb in this particular style fixture.

(I have seen folks OVER-UV Chams with negative effects when using 12% bulbs in these fixtures on the wrong type species / cage set-ups.)

If there is any doubt, always check with a Solarmeter. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

I am very familiar with these fixtures and I have imported them and worked with them for over 10 years now.
So...
I just have to add my 2 cents so people will be aware & for the welfare of all the chams out there.👍🏼

Cheers!
Todd

Attachments

• 1618240919804.png
    1618240919804.png
    351 KB · Views: 45
  • prot5-kits-x3-lg-2__37197.jpg
    prot5-kits-x3-lg-2__37197.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 49
please keep in mind they do come in 2 types now.
In the most common 22" size.
And they are identical looking.

One is made with a HO (high out-put) ballast that dives a 24 watt bulb.

And one now comes made with a low out-put ballast that is only engineered to run a 14w bulb.
:unsure: I often have a hard time wrapping my head around uvb, so if you don’t mind, I just want to make sure I understand you properly. If I buy a 24” Arcadia Pro T5 Shade Dweller kit, I will not be able to put anything other than the 7% uvb bulb in it? I can not put a ReptiSun 5.0, Arcadia 6% or anything else in that fixture (unless it is 14w)?
If I want to put a 22” Arcadia 7% bulb in my Pro T5 HO for my geckos, that too will not work?

:unsure: I often have a hard time wrapping my head around uvb, so if you don’t mind, I just want to make sure I understand you properly. If I buy a 24” Arcadia Pro T5 Shade Dweller kit, I will not be able to put anything other than the 7% uvb bulb in it? I can not put a ReptiSun 5.0, Arcadia 6% or anything else in that fixture (unless it is 14w)?
If I want to put a 22” Arcadia 7% bulb in my Pro T5 HO for my geckos, that too will not work?

Uhhhhh...

Ok the 22" T5 Shade Dweller kit is a 14 watt T5 "NON HO". It is "very rare", ive only seen NON HO T5's in commercial lighting (offices etc).

EVERYONE ELSE makes 22" T5HO that is "24 watt", we are talking both ReptiSun 5.0/10.0 and Arcadia 6%/12%

If you put the 7% 14 watt in a HO fixture, its gonna blowup
If you put a ReptiSun 5.0/10.0 or Arcadia 6%/12% in the T5 Shade Dweller kit, its either going to not light, or be very dim

Hope that helps...

Basically the T5 Shade Dweller kit is for the Anole folk putting them on top of "tanks" that are only 12-18" tall. It modernizes the old reptisun 10.0 T8 setup, and allows it to go much deeper into the cage.

Uhhhhh...

Ok the 22" T5 Shade Dweller kit is a 14 watt T5 "NON HO". It is "very rare", ive only seen NON HO T5's in commercial lighting (offices etc).

EVERYONE ELSE makes 22" T5HO that is "24 watt", we are talking both ReptiSun 5.0/10.0 and Arcadia 6%/12%

If you put the 7% 14 watt in a HO fixture, its gonna blowup
If you put a ReptiSun 5.0/10.0 or Arcadia 6%/12% in the T5 Shade Dweller kit, its either going to not light, or be very dim

Hope that helps...

Basically the T5 Shade Dweller kit is for the Anole folk putting them on top of "tanks" that are only 12-18" tall. It modernizes the old reptisun 10.0 T8 setup, and allows it to go much deeper into the cage.
Thank you! I was thinking about getting some 7% bulbs (for my HO fixtures) for my geckos and as well was getting so frustrated about not being able to find the 24” Pro T5HO 6% that I was tempted to just buy a Shade Dweller and put a 6% bulb in it. So relieved I did none of those things - geckos are getting same as the chams (like they ever come out of their hides during lights on :rolleyes:) and finally did find/buy the Pro T5HO that I needed.

Thank you! I was thinking about getting some 7% bulbs (for my HO fixtures) for my geckos and as well was getting so frustrated about not being able to find the 24” Pro T5HO 6% that I was tempted to just buy a Shade Dweller and put a 6% bulb in it. So relieved I did none of those things - geckos are getting same as the chams (like they ever come out of their hides during lights on :rolleyes:) and finally did find/buy the Pro T5HO that I needed.
Excellent!

I remember how it used to be allot simpler in the "olden days" LOL.

( I have been keeping reptiles since 1976)

There basically was only one kind / type of Flo. bulb size for everything.

The old, low out-put, T8 bulbs.

And they just came in the basic lengths (18", 24" etc.).

And the wattages were all simple and consistant.

They all worked in any brand fixture because there was hardly any variety.

The downside is that things are more complex now....🫤

But the upside is that we can now ALMOST DUPLICATE Natural Sunlight PERFECTLY w/ just the right amount of UVA and UVB indoors.😁👍🏼

And that is the KEY to helping keep these animals healthy and Bone Disease disease free.

Back
Top Bottom