Chameleon climbing on the screen

Hello guys, I brought my 3 months old new panther nosy be chameleon like 8 days ago and last 3 days he is climbing on the screen on the top of his cage where is his uvb. I am using glass enclosure but top is screened (size of the enclosure: 90cm height width 60cm).He is climbing there maybe twice or three times a day, for 5-15 minutes and during this activity he has bright colorus. I am feeding him with 10 crickets supplemented by calcium. And every 2 weeks i am giving him multivitamins. I am misting every morning and evening. He has ficus-benjamina, schefflera arboricola and boston fern in his enclosure. He has big amount of branches aligned vertically and horizontally. He is eating, pooping, drinking{I hope so. I don't usually see him drinking). But I think during day he has darker colours and sometimes bright turquoise colour. He isn't hiding from me, I usually see him chilling on branch. I am using zoomed 25W basking bulb and 2 compact bulbs Repti Planet Repti UVB 10.0 26 W. I am really scared if this indicate problem. I would be very happy for every advice IMG_2698.jpeg IMG_2697.jpeg IMG_2696.jpeg ?
tempImage0X7bdb.png
tempImageiCIk99.png tempImageSQF8S5.png

Attachments

• tempImagermp3v0.png
    tempImagermp3v0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Hello and welcome! Our little chameleons tend to screen climb. My boy is 7 months old and I still occasionally see him on the top screen by the lights as well.

For babies safety you’ll need to raise all lights off the top screen so he can’t get burnt or be exposed to super high uvb rays.

Panther chameleons need a uv index of 3 at the basking branch. With a 10.0 strength light you’ll need to raise that something like 12 inches above the screen. Most of us have the 5.0 or the 6%.

Last thing before I forget. Right now your enclosure size is ok for baby, however you will need to upgrade him in a minimum size of 2x2x4 foot enclosure pretty quickly. I’d work on purchasing his adult enclosure now so that within the next month or so you can move him in there. Let me know if you need help finding the right size enclosure.

Hello and welcome! Our little chameleons tend to screen climb. My boy is 7 months old and I still occasionally see him on the top screen by the lights as well.

For babies safety you’ll need to raise all lights off the top screen so he can’t get burnt or be exposed to super high uvb rays.

Panther chameleons need a uv index of 3 at the basking branch. With a 10.0 strength light you’ll need to raise that something like 12 inches above the screen. Most of us have the 5.0 or the 6%.
Thank you som much for reply, but is it normal if my chameleon has been doing it every day (1-2 times a day) since Friday? How often do you see your chameleon climbing on the top screen? I am really concerned about it if it is a normal behaviour or if it indicates problem.

Last thing before I forget. Right now your enclosure size is ok for baby, however you will need to upgrade him in a minimum size of 2x2x4 foot enclosure pretty quickly. I’d work on purchasing his adult enclosure now so that within the next month or so you can move him in there. Let me know if you need help finding the right size enclosure.
Thank you for advice! I will definitely start looking for my baby new cage. Also I am planning to buy misting system.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. :) I see a few issues that need some corrections. Not sure where to begin, so let me start with lights. I’m afraid that your uvb lights aren’t going to be able to provide the needed uvb that your chameleon needs. The standard is a T5HO fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Like this. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures-kits/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-24-with-bulb/ Then there needs to be about 20-22 cm distance between basking area and light.
What is the light shining in on the side and why is it on the side? You only want lights to be shining down from the top. Speaking of the top - it is normal for babies to walk upside down along the screen top but this places them at high risk for burns. You’ll need to raise your lights at least about 6-7 cm off the screen and then place your hand on the screen directly below the light. If it’s too hot to keep your hand there for more than a minute, it’s too hot for baby and can burn him.
Little ones need to eat a lot. I would be giving at least about 15 appropriate sized feeders daily. Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big for him to eat.
Currently your enclosure is an ok size for a little one, but he will be growing fast. By the time he’s an adult he’ll be needing at minimum a 60x60x120 cm enclosure. I much prefer screen enclosures for new keepers as they are easier to modify to meet humidity needs and provide excellent ventilation - both are important in preventing respiratory infections,
One last thing - the black Exo Terra vine that you have is notorious for shedding tiny particles when itchy shedding chameleons rub their eyes against them. The particles can and have gotten trapped in sensitive little eyes and caused problems. The foamy type fake vines are much better, and even better than those are real branches. Avoid ones that have sap or odors like pine. Wash with soapy water, sun dry and they’re ready to use. I see you already have some. Just add a few more and of varied thickness so baby can exercise those little feet muscles. It is a challenge to hang branches and vines, especially in glass enclosures. Maybe try making a little frame or scaffold from the branches. I do love that you’ve got some live plants. :)
My other concern is of your supplements. Yes, you want to be using a phosphorus free calcium without vitamin D3 at every feeding except when using a different supplement. Vitamin D3 and multivitamin both need to be given once every other week. There are some multivitamins that are combination products and contain good amounts of D3 that you’ll only give one feeding every other week - Repashy calcium Plus LoD and ReptiVite with D3 are both excellent.
You don’t mention your temps or humidity - ideals for daytime are basking temp of about 26c for little ones and ladies and max of 29c for adult males. At night you want a good cooling off, preferably below at least 20c. Ideal humidity during the day is between 50-70%. If you can get that nice cool night below at least 20c, you can add a cool mist humidifier and boost night humidity as high as possible. That simulates hydration through fog like chameleons get in the wild.
I’m so very glad that you found your way here and are asking questions and wanting to make your precious baby’s life the best. Continue asking whatever questions you need and definitely feel free to stick around and share pics and stories of your baby as he grows.

Thank you som much for reply, but is it normal if my chameleon has been doing it every day (1-2 times a day) since Friday? How often do you see your chameleon climbing on the top screen? I am really concerned about it if it is a normal behaviour or if it indicates problem.
You are very welcome. I don't know how common it is honestly, if you want to do a husbandry review we can see if there is anything off we can do that. Copy and paste the form below:

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Hi and welcome. :) I see a few issues that need some corrections. Not sure where to begin, so let me start with lights. I’m afraid that your uvb lights aren’t going to be able to provide the needed uvb that your chameleon needs. The standard is a T5HO fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Like this. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures-kits/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-24-with-bulb/ Then there needs to be about 20-22 cm distance between basking area and light.
What is the light shining in on the side and why is it on the side? You only want lights to be shining down from the top. Speaking of the top - it is normal for babies to walk upside down along the screen top but this places them at high risk for burns. You’ll need to raise your lights at least about 6-7 cm off the screen and then place your hand on the screen directly below the light. If it’s too hot to keep your hand there for more than a minute, it’s too hot for baby and can burn him.
Little ones need to eat a lot. I would be giving at least about 15 appropriate sized feeders daily. Anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big for him to eat.
Currently your enclosure is an ok size for a little one, but he will be growing fast. By the time he’s an adult he’ll be needing at minimum a 60x60x120 cm enclosure. I much prefer screen enclosures for new keepers as they are easier to modify to meet humidity needs and provide excellent ventilation - both are important in preventing respiratory infections,
One last thing - the black Exo Terra vine that you have is notorious for shedding tiny particles when itchy shedding chameleons rub their eyes against them. The particles can and have gotten trapped in sensitive little eyes and caused problems. The foamy type fake vines are much better, and even better than those are real branches. Avoid ones that have sap or odors like pine. Wash with soapy water, sun dry and they’re ready to use. I see you already have some. Just add a few more and of varied thickness so baby can exercise those little feet muscles. It is a challenge to hang branches and vines, especially in glass enclosures. Maybe try making a little frame or scaffold from the branches. I do love that you’ve got some live plants. :)
My other concern is of your supplements. Yes, you want to be using a phosphorus free calcium without vitamin D3 at every feeding except when using a different supplement. Vitamin D3 and multivitamin both need to be given once every other week. There are some multivitamins that are combination products and contain good amounts of D3 that you’ll only give one feeding every other week - Repashy calcium Plus LoD and ReptiVite with D3 are both excellent.
You don’t mention your temps or humidity - ideals for daytime are basking temp of about 26c for little ones and ladies and max of 29c for adult males. At night you want a good cooling off, preferably below at least 20c. Ideal humidity during the day is between 50-70%. If you can get that nice cool night below at least 20c, you can add a cool mist humidifier and boost night humidity as high as possible. That simulates hydration through fog like chameleons get in the wild.
I’m so very glad that you found your way here and are asking questions and wanting to make your precious baby’s life the best. Continue asking whatever questions you need and definitely feel free to stick around and share pics and stories of your baby as he grows.
Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't know that I have so many things bad. So what's the most urgent? With what should I begin first? About supplements, I am using free repti-planet calcium without D3 and repti-planet multivitamins that contain D3.

You definitely need to get the correct uvb as soon as possible. Little ones have no resources to fall back on and without correct uvb, can decline quickly. Baby can wait for a larger enclosure. The other things require no investment other than time and energy, so you can address those today. Raising the lights shouldn’t wait since baby is screen walking all over. I just use little wire baskets I’ve gotten from the dollar store - super cheap and while not pretty, they work great.
We all start making mistakes, but it’s our willingness to learn and improve that only matters and in that, you’re doing great. :)

You definitely need to get the correct uvb as soon as possible. Little ones have no resources to fall back on and without correct uvb, can decline quickly. Baby can wait for a larger enclosure. The other things require no investment other than time and energy, so you can address those today. Raising the lights shouldn’t wait since baby is screen walking all over. I just use little wire baskets I’ve gotten from the dollar store - super cheap and while not pretty, they work great.
We all start making mistakes, but it’s our willingness to learn and improve that only matters and in that, you’re doing great. :)
I have problem. I don't have enough money to buy appropriate UVB for my baby. I will definitely replace branches with sap or odors with new. How long can my baby chameleon last with wrong UVB?
Does this compact UVB bulb offer some UVB for my chameleon?😥😥

I have problem. I don't have enough money to buy appropriate UVB for my baby. I will definitely replace branches with sap or odors with new. How long can my baby chameleon last with wrong UVB?
Does this compact UVB bulb offer some UVB for my chameleon?😥😥
I hate to say this but UVB is vital. Can you do some side jobs to earn some extra cash? IMHO this is not something that can wait.

@Beman you are the UVB expert here, what do you think? Is there some way this light can be used until @Chameleon-lover can purchase the correct UVB?

Do you live somewhere where it’s warm enough to take him outside for a little bit a few times a week for some natural sun? You can not leave him alone though - not even for a minute! The uvb is pretty essential for them to be able to use all of the calcium that we give, which basically controls everything in the body and not just bones. If you have a very flexible vine and are very careful, you can very temporarily provide an area where baby can get some uvb from the screw in lights that you have. This may help, along with @Beman who is more knowledgeable than me about uvb.
IMG_1073.jpeg

Well I live in Slovakia Bratislava(Europe) and these days are colder(23-25 celsius) but in few days temperatures should increase up to 27-30 celsius. So maybe I could put him on the balcony where I would be with him. But I haven't handle him yet. I don't want to stress him out. But at least I can try. I will try my best. And also thank you for helping me. I will keep updating you.

I personally would not risk using the compact UVB bulbs. T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb that runs the width of the enclosure. This set on top of the cage with a 8-9 inch distance to the branches below is what you want.

Without the correct UVI levels your risking MBD, immune issues, appetite issues, and failure to thrive.

I personally would not risk using the compact UVB bulbs. T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb that runs the width of the enclosure. This set on top of the cage with a 8-9 inch distance to the branches below is what you want.

Without the correct UVI levels your risking MBD, immune issues, appetite issues, and failure to thrive.
Yes I am planning to buy Arcadia 6% but right now I don't have enough money to buy it. Does somehow this compact bulbs (Repti planet Compact-Fluorescent UVB bulb 10.0 26W) offer a little bit UVB for my chameleon until I buy correct UVB @Beman ?

Last edited:
Yes I am planning to buy Arcadia 6% but right now I don't have enough money to buy it. Does somehow this compact bulbs (Repti planet Compact-Fluorescent UVB bulb 10.0 26W) offer a little bit UVB for my chameleon until I buy correct UVB @Beman ?
The issue is they are not reliable. Their output can fluctuate and it is a much lower output. Then you add the screen in between which reduces UVI output by about 40%.

This video will really show you the differences keep in mind it is showing it without a screen barrier

Sup guys I have good news. Right now I have money for new proper uvb and also my chameleon grew up. He was shedding like 2 days ago. So I wanted to ask you if I bought Arcadia 6% 24w could I use it also in 60x60x120 cm enclosure? Or should I buy UVB with higher output?

Last edited:
Sup guys I have good news. Right now I have money for new proper uvb and also my chameleon grew up. He was shedding like 2 days ago. So I wanted to ask you if I bought Arcadia 6% 24w could I use it also in 60x60x120 cm enclosure? Or should I buy UVB with higher output?
That is exactly the uvb light you need and want. You don’t want to go any stronger as that could be harmful. The 6% is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom