Using older bulb for babies???

patrickfraser

It is the 6 month point to change out the UVB bulb on my veiled pair. It is a repti-glo 5.0 and I'm upping the adults to a 10.0.
I have babies due within a few months.
I was wondering if it would be ok to use the old buld on the babies?
Not as intense as a new 5.0 bulb.
It is past the recommended "forum" 6 months, but within the 1 year it says on the box.:confused:
Any ideas?????

A lot of people say the bulbs lose intensity as they get older, and so the users use the older bulbs for young chameleons.

I would maybe use an old bulb either that or get one that you know is not going to harm your chameleons.

In my opinion using a bulb made for adult chams is still a bit of a gamble though. Even if the age of the bulb is high it could be just as intense maybe.

I'd wait until someone else chimes in with an opinion.

I used older bulbs for my babies BUT I have a UV meter to check and make sure whey were still putting out some UVB. Some of the people that bought my babies used new Reptisuns 5.0 and a few of the babies started to close their eyes and they would rub their eyes on branches. I had the new owners turn off the light for a day and the eye problem went away so I had them move the light up high off the top of the enclosure. I will still recommend the Reptisun 5.0 for your adults if you keep them in cages. The 10.0's are nice when they are in large free ranges.

Back
Top Bottom