When to switch from T8 to T5

noahrofsky7

Established Member
Hello,

I’ve been gathering information about the best uvb for baby Jackson’s, and I am mostly seeing a T8 5.0 being used and recommended.
What age would they be to handle the T5 5.0 or even 10.0 with more distance between the light and enclosure? I would assume 4-6 months, but want to be sure. No MBD is going to be seen around here.

Thanks

There isnt a best time. You can raise a jacksons (or any other cham) start to finish with a T5 HO. Your T8 5.0 is kinda worthless past 6-8" from the bulb. On the other hand you dont want the cham(regardless of age) to get closer than 8" from the T5 5.0.

If you are really granular, and have a UVI index recommendation from your breeder at each age, and have a meter, its pretty easy to match them up with any bulb.

So again, age doesnt matter. What matters is what your breeders UVI and suppliment schedule is.

Or if your T8 5.0 is brand new, just run it for 6 months and replace it with a T5 5.0 :)

There isnt a best time. You can raise a jacksons (or any other cham) start to finish with a T5 HO. Your T8 5.0 is kinda worthless past 6-8" from the bulb. On the other hand you dont want the cham(regardless of age) to get closer than 8" from the T5 5.0.

If you are really granular, and have a UVI index recommendation from your breeder at each age, and have a meter, its pretty easy to match them up with any bulb.

So again, age doesnt matter. What matters is what your breeders UVI and suppliment schedule is.

Or if your T8 5.0 is brand new, just run it for 6 months and replace it with a T5 5.0 :)
I should’ve elaborated on the post. I am going to be raising a brood of babies soon in the coming months. Will keep them in small individual enclosures on shelving. The enclosures are 12 inch wide and 8 inch tall plastic tubs with screen cut and pasted into them. There will be space between the lights and basking areas, but not much space between top of enclosure and light will be available.
If a t5 5.0 is not too much in that case, I will go with that.
Thanks!

I should’ve elaborated on the post. I am going to be raising a brood of babies soon in the coming months. Will keep them in small individual enclosures on shelving. The enclosures are 12 inch wide and 8 inch tall plastic tubs with screen cut and pasted into them. There will be space between the lights and basking areas, but not much space between top of enclosure and light will be available.
If a t5 5.0 is not too much in that case, I will go with that.
Thanks!

You will unfortunately need a meter. You want the very top of the tub to be about 2 uvi or a bit less. This will make the bottom of the tub about 1 uvi.

But no one on the internet can break down a correct UVI armchair measurement, with only a 8" working zone. The fresh bulb could be "hot" for the first 30 days and be putting out 4 uvi. 6 months later the bulb might have settled at 2 uvi, for the next year or more.

Honestly i would just stick with the fresh T8 5.0, as that is perfect for laying on top of cages less that a foot tall. The UVI drop off will be massive, so an inch from the bulb might be 2-3 uvi, and odds are it will be almost nothing a foot a way.

You will unfortunately need a meter. You want the very top of the tub to be about 2 uvi or a bit less. This will make the bottom of the tub about 1 uvi.

But no one on the internet can break down a correct UVI armchair measurement, with only a 8" working zone. The fresh bulb could be "hot" for the first 30 days and be putting out 4 uvi. 6 months later the bulb might have settled at 2 uvi, for the next year or more.

Honestly i would just stick with the fresh T8 5.0, as that is perfect for laying on top of cages less that a foot tall. The UVI drop off will be massive, so an inch from the bulb might be 2-3 uvi, and odds are it will be almost nothing a foot a way.
Ok, Babies won’t be here for a while so I still have time to get a solar meter. T8 5.0 seems like the way to go for my setup I think. We shall see based off of a solar meter though.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom