Using Baytril

ColorCham427

Avid Member
Surprisingly I am "new" to using baytril.

My male and some info:

His eyes are closed (sometimes his right eye is open while the left one is shut) during the day. He'll open both eyes when I make extra noise to fill up his dripper so he drinks daily. He always goes to the dripper to drink for the first session, but the second drip session he is a 50/50 take it or leave.

Eating - He hasn't taken a cricket in 4 days. I haven't had problems in a very long time and really surprised me. I have had several male panthers that were too colorful to pass up so I bought them from small breeders that keep them outdoors.

The previous males with eye problems all arrived with gunky eyes with the bubbly issue which I massaged out with a q-tip and then they were fine. However, this particular male arrived with eyes that were closing and opening throughout the day but did not have any visible gunk build up in his eyes.

Unlike the other males that arrived with a minor eye problem, this male arrived with an eye problem that first appeared even less of an issue. The q-tip massage therapy wasn't needed and I thought several showers would do him good.

Now, he has been closing both eyes, and his mouth is filled up to a guesstimate of 33% mucus (thick saliva).

He weighs 25 grams. pictures aren't needed, what I said is exact.

I received a small bottle of baytril from a friend who lives in Ca. Does time kill potency? Should I ask my friend how old this stuff is? Should I bother asking if he kept it in his refrigerator or not? I have it in my refrigerator and have had it for over 3 weeks in my refrigerator.

I was told by a friend (who is one of the largest panther breeders in the world) that he has his vet dilute the baytril with a fruity liquid, but he is not sure what it is exactly... I hope it is something that can be found in a super market, but I have a feeling it might be something that Vets carry...

Any advice much appreciated. I am back to asking questions on here! Hurray!!! :eek::p

When our vet gave us baytril it was diluted with chery syrup to help with the taste. Aperntly baytril is very bitter. Dory is now on baytril for the second time and this vet diluted it with beef flavor :s

Why is she on it for the second time?

Any specific details on this cherry syrup? Is it regular stuff or special vet syrup? Thanks a lot for posting! :)

What dose are you planning on using and how are you administering it if he's not eating? What concentration is the baytril? Picture of the label would be nice because not all baytril is the same.

Yeah, watch out for that stuff. If it was prescribed for a large animal, let's say a tortoise, then you might end up really messing up your chameleon. You aren't planning on doing any injections right?

As for getting it in his mouth, just do it while he is drinking. By the way, baytril may not even do anything for him. A culture may be needed which would require a vet visit.

Yeah, watch out for that stuff. If it was prescribed for a large animal, let's say a tortoise, then you might end up really messing up your chameleon. You aren't planning on doing any injections right?

As for getting it in his mouth, just do it while he is drinking. By the way, baytril may not even do anything for him. A culture may be needed which would require a vet visit.

I couldn't agree more.

I think you should go to the vet and have tests done and treat them/him properly. Russian roulette isn't the best way to go about it. The vet should give you the right dosage and show you how to properly use the medication.

Absolutely agree 100% with you should go to a vet for proper care and instructions (as evidenced by the mysterious baytril you currently have that may not even be good anymore, not to mention possibly ineffective against your cham's infection). Sound like a broken record, but especially since you're "new to baytril" and aren't familiar with it's spectrum, side effects, or effects on other parts of the body (kidneys!) this should be overseen by a vet. Then next time maybe you can skip a step...

I spoke to my close friend who is a Vet. He told me that a URI is something Baytril can only help if the URI is turning into pneumonia.

I raised the temp. and have been misting with additional minutes added a long with a few extra sessions. I also exchanged his pathos with a HUGE pathos.

Very disappointed that I did not see what was coming from this. It's a shame how comfortable I got, considering these are Panthers and are super easy to care for. Never again will I not consider the worst. The best thing to do is expect things to happen, not expect all animals to have the same minor issue and let things happen.

I gave him a tiny dose of Baytril. He is only 25 grams. I am not giving him anymore unless my friend tells me to, but he told me not to.

Less than a minute after I gave him the oral drop of Baytril I got his dripper going hitting some leaves, he quickly drank. When I returned 15 minutes later to observe him, apparently some or all of his bubbled saliva came out from his mouth and ran down his left side of his mouth. His mouth remained closed, a long with both of his eyes.

Today his eyes were closed, his colors very dark. I got his dripper going, and he went right to the leaves and began drinking.

This guy is now free ranging crickets, he just doesn't like container feeding, and is one of those "potty trained chams" !!! lol... You know, the chams that will turn their feeder cup into their toliet? LOL

I will keep those of you who are interested up to date. Glad to be back active on the forum, just upset I am the one with this situation, but hey, live and learn.

I suggest you go to a vet unless you dont particularly care about him. Better safe than sorry.

We all have unfortunate happenings at some point or another, regardless of experience. You are always learning something new when it comes to animals! :)

My vet prescribes a Baytril compound that works great. Still, I would do as the forum members advised and have him examined.

Baytril Dosing

Be careful with Baytril. while it works very well on respiratory infections, you need to make sure that your cham is drinking extra. Otherwise, you will need to inject fluids under the skin. As others have suggested, you really need to see a reptile vet -- one who has actually treated a cham respiratory infection is preferable. But, if it were me and I couldn't get to a vet for a day or two, I would not wait to start the baytril.

A few things:

1. it DOES have to be refrigerated. It should be clear and not discolored at all.

2. in order to use it properly, you have to know its dilution. E.g., .5 mg per ml.

3. the proper dose (per Mader's Reptile Medicine and Surgery) is as follows:

the dose is 5 mg per kg perday. (to figure out the kg from gms, you need to move the decimal three places to the left. For example, 78.5 g rams would be .0785 kg).

dose x weight/concentration

so, for a cham weighing 78.5 grams (.0785 kg), the equation would be

5 x .0785/.5 mg = 0.3925/.5 = .785 dose

You will need a small insulin syringe to draw the medication out of the vial. Detach the needle and administer with the blunt end of the syringe near the back of the mouth. Follow with a syringe of water (or as much as you can get in there).

you need to keep track of the urates to make sure they are sufficiently substantial (Baytril can cause orange discoloration). Dehydration and Baytril do NOT mix.

Spadefish - if you must give out specifics of dosages could you please do it in a PM? Dosing medication is not for inexperienced people and should not be taken lightly. Merely finding a recommended dose does not take into account the type of infection or condition of the animal and the dose may need to be adjusted based on a number of factors that can really only be determined by a vet or really experienced person. It's just not the best idea to give out specific dosing information on a public forum. People may not even know how to properly calculate the dose even with that information. You didn't even provide units that your final dose is in. Milliliters, milligrams, grams? This kind of things leads to overdosing and under dosing - both detrimental in their own right. What you said about dehydration is very correct though.

Point taken. Although, not everyone keeps baytril around the house and if they have some it is probably because a vet has trusted them to use it. I don't think knowing how to dose it correctly is dangerous if you already have it ... In any event, you are right that I did not put the unit measurement of the actual dose. It is cc or ml.

Warning warning warning

I spoke to my close friend who is a Vet. He told me that a URI is something Baytril can only help if the URI is turning into pneumonia.

You need to talk to a real vet or someone who knows what they are talking about. Baytril treats bacterial infection. It does not need to turn into pneumonia (lower respiratory infection) to help. Why in the hell would anyone wait until it attaches it self to the lungs. That is one of the most ridiculous misinforming statements in this thread maybe on the site. If you wait for pneumonia you are setting yourself up for failure.

If anything this thread does a disservice to the community. Spend a couple bucks and go to the vet!:mad:

I hope no one is following this example.

I gave him a tiny dose of Baytril. He is only 25 grams. I am not giving him anymore unless my friend tells me to, but he told me not to.

1 dose does nothing.:mad: It needs to build up in the system and remain there until symptoms are gone. Typically 5-8 days.

I suspect you didn't talk to a vet at all. I get it if you don't want to go to the vet but why post this crap and mislead others who may read this.

Back
Top Bottom