Useless Responses - RANT

DJnSoCal

Established Member
Anyone else tired of the useless responses to posts with absolutely no substance? Why do some members comment on every thread? There is so much to read as it is...

My "favorite" are the posts like:

"I don't know what the answer is. Maybe a senior member will chime in." ***Then why are you answering the post at all?!

"The answer to your question is X. But let someone who's had experience with X chime in to tell you."
***If you don't have experience with it, why waste the time to answer and possibly steer someone in the wrong direction?

I know the moderators are busy, but I would suggest cleaning up some of the threads. We clean our chameleons cage of feces... why not the threads of the same garbage?

What is your rant about responses or some useless responses you've seen? Maybe we will be able to reach some of these people! :) Okay, I feel better now.

A few of the senior members think it's funny to make off comments. The others are just post whores.

I've been on many forums and I will say this one is about one of the most liberal when it comes to moderation.

Don't let it get to you. Just weed through the crap.

Some members here constantly drop A bombs and S bombs. Most other forums, this would result in banishment.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

I guess what is obscene or vulgar is in the eye of the beholder.

I can agree that there are some "useless" posts but I dont think negativity like this is the way to go about removing it. If anything this should be removed.

What is your rant about responses or some useless responses you've seen? Maybe we will be able to reach some of these people! :) Okay, I feel better now.

I agree with Cain... Counting this thread, chalk down one more in the "useless" column.

Nay to censorship...

I can agree that there are some "useless" posts but I dont think negativity like this is the way to go about removing it. If anything this should be removed.

I'm not trying to be negative. Just an attempt to get people to think about what they are posting and all of the people that have to sift through their posts to gain any morsels of wisdom from them. I'm not talking about the cutesy posts or humorous ones... just the ones where someone is sincerely trying to find an answer to a dilema. How would you go about removing it then? What do you suggest?

Just something else to discuss...

What do you suggest?

Just something else to discuss...

I would suggest just ignoring it. Who wants to sift through censoring crap... who wants to be the one determine what is crap and what is not... And then who wants to field all the messages from pissed off members who want to know why their post was removed.

People say "sift" when speaking about this as if they are searching for a needle in a haystack. Come... We are talking about the slightest motion in your wrist of scrolling past it. You start to learn who's posts are of little value, and sifting through the crap almost becomes second nature.

who wants to be the one determine what is crap and what is not... And then who wants to field on the messages from members pissed why their post was removed.

EXACTLY!! We get that enough as it is when removing posts that ACTUALLY violate rules.

There's probably an average of 500 posts a day. The moderators surf the forums just like everyone else, looking for whatever seems interesting. We don't read them all; neither does anyone else. If someone is is using obscene language, report it. It gets removed.

who wants to be the one determine what is crap and what is not...

They are called moderators. ;) lol

I do however agree with you... It's totally not worth worrying about. Life is way too short.:rolleyes:

edit: My post is a tad silly after yours Kent...You posted wile I was typing.

oh well add it to the senseless pile. lol!

I would suggest just ignoring it. Who wants to sift through censoring crap... who wants to be the one determine what is crap and what is not... And then who wants to field all the messages from pissed off members who want to know why their post was removed.

People say "sift" when speaking about this as if they are searching for a needle in a haystack. Come... We are talking about the slightest motion in your wrist of scrolling past it. You start to learn who's posts are of little value, and sifting through the crap almost becomes second nature.

Like Pure said, this is a pretty liberal forum... and not the only one I frequent. There is a lot of good information and I want to stay informed and in touch with things that are going on. Lots of reading... LOTS of reading! It just makes it that more difficult when there is so much garbage everywhere sometimes.

Some people ignore it, some people deal with it in their own quiet way, I say something. Maybe someone will think twice before responding to a post in a manner like, "I don't know... I hope someone else answers."

I don't really have an opinion? Anyone else? ;)

lol. Don't get BoySergeant started!!:D

The subject does annoy me quite a bit when it's on a thread I started, but in that instance I usually just try and drag it out of people. Otherwise I just ignore the useless comments :)

The subject does annoy me quite a bit when it's on a thread I started, but in that instance I usually just try and drag it out of people. Otherwise I just ignore the useless comments :)

The lounge is meant for sensless meaningless posts. *runs off to start "random thread number 4,589"*

But it DOES annoy you... why? Are people truly being sincere or are they just trying to bump up their post count? What do you think?

But it DOES annoy you... why? Are people truly being sincere or are they just trying to bump up their post count? What do you think?

In all seriousness I think the need of high(er) post count to gain access to specialize forums here greatly adds to the post whoring. Example. I now own Melleri yet am still not qualified in the eyes of the forum owner to post in that forum..Kinda BS if you ask me.

In all seriousness I think the need of high(er) post count to gain access to specialize forums here greatly adds to the post whoring. Example. I now own Melleri yet am still not qualified in the eyes of the forum owner to post in that forum..Kinda BS if you ask me.

I never knew there was a "hierarchy" of forums requiring a minimum number of posts. Wow.

I'm speechless.

Okay, never mind. Go ahead and lock this thread. Post away. I'm off to get my post count up too!
:cool:

Oh, yeah....I meant to say that I agree that there are a lot of useless posts we could all do without. But, I've been in this hobby for, um...18 years now. I've never, ever seen a community of chameleon hobbyists get to be this large. And it's still growing. I take all the excessive posts as part of the site becoming so popular and don't really stress on them. The "I don't know the answer, but hopefully someone else does" posts are useless, but they don't violate any rules to the degree that censorship is necessary.

I think you hit the nail on the head there... But, I mean, the forum pretty much "gets the job done." You wanna know something, you ask, people tell you what you want to know/useless info/BS, and you're on your way. I think it's just something we have to put up with for the benefit of having the forum.

Or you could start another..... more local.... forum ;);)

Post count doesnt mean everything!!! I know a guy with 1200 or so posts who is still member status hahahahaha:p You have to also show some knowledge or "skill level" to aquire different stati:rolleyes: Seems you only have 70 posts, I would think you showed some sort of knowlege to attain member status before 100 posts:). I wasnt trying to rude or bash your thread:) Just thought that indiscriminatly (is that the word, Im from WV:rolleyes:) bashing someone isnt the way to go.

In all seriousness, the Meller's group forum is under the sub-forum "Advanced Topics." How would a little over 24 hours worth of experience qualify as advanced experience with the species? Kinda insulting to say the rule is BS, if you ask me. Edit: I've now kept 25 species of chameleons (no pygmys) over the last 18 years. I've only had my first Meller's for a year. I wouldn't post in that forum because I don't consider myself "Advanced" with them yet, either.

Look, this is an open forum. Brad doesn't ask for applications before anyone is admitted to assess experience level. How else would you recommend we keep out the "I don't know the answer, hopefully someone else does" posts in the "Advanced Topics" sections, without having to offend people by making judgement calls on what is useless or not?

Back
Top Bottom