Useless Responses - RANT

Post count doesnt mean everything!!! I know a guy with 1200 or so posts who is still member status hahahahaha:p You have to also show some knowledge or "skill level" to aquire different stati:rolleyes: Seems you only have 70 posts, I would think you showed some sort of knowlege to attain member status before 100 posts:). I wasnt trying to rude or bash your thread:) Just thought that indiscriminatly (is that the word, Im from WV:rolleyes:) bashing someone isnt the way to go.

I agree with you 100%... and I only midly took any offense to it. But, I chalked it up to you speaking your mind, which I appreciate. And, it wasn't worthless. It contributed to the thread as a whole. If there is a contribution, then it's good. Even if a different perspective. Especially if it is a different perspective.

I agree that bashing someone isn't the way to go... that's why I made a general statement and didn't use specific names of members who seem to have the art of "useless" down to an art! :D

And now, we are all talking about it... and thinking about it... :eek:

Oh, yeah....I meant to say that I agree that there are a lot of useless posts we could all do without. But, I've been in this hobby for, um...18 years now. I've never, ever seen a community of chameleon hobbyists get to be this large. And it's still growing. I take all the excessive posts as part of the site becoming so popular and don't really stress on them. The "I don't know the answer, but hopefully someone else does" posts are useless, but they don't violate any rules to the degree that censorship is necessary.

Hey, as long as I'm not the ONLY one that finds it annoying... I moderate another forum, so I know EXACTLY what you mean. :D And this thread was just to get people to think about it... that's all.

BUT, I didn't realize there were thresholds to different membership levels based on post count.

In all seriousness, the Meller's group forum is under the sub-forum "Advanced Topics." How would a little over 24 hours worth of experience qualify as advanced experience with the species? Kinda insulting to say the rule is BS, if you ask me. Edit: I've now kept 25 species of chameleons (no pygmys) over the last 18 years. I've only had my first Meller's for a year. I wouldn't post in that forum because I don't consider myself "Advanced" with them yet, either.

Look, this is an open forum. Brad doesn't ask for applications before anyone is admitted to assess experience level. How else would you recommend we keep out the "I don't know the answer, hopefully someone else does" posts in the "Advanced Topics" sections, without having to offend people by making judgement calls on what is useless or not?

Your right, BS is a lil harsh. I totally agree with you. And apologize. And no I'm not qualified based on experience, to answer questions in that particular forum. However, to me the purpose of such a forum would be for the discussion of Melleri (or any other specialized subject) with experience owners and non experienced hobbyists alike. So if I were to post there my question would probably get more specialized attention. But since I can't I have to wait for a Melleri owner to cruse through the general discussion to see my post. Waiting for someone to answer a question in that forum can be a little mundane. That is more of what I meant.

But to clarify. You don't have to own and keep a species of any animal to be able to educate yourself and be able to answer questions to which you know the answer to. Even if you can't speak from exp. Sure Exp helps a whole heck of a lot. But it isn't always everything.

But I do see why it is the way it is. I just think if a person has deemed himself of sound mind and hasn't posted any useless posts in informational threads then that person should not be limited to what he/she is posting in. Personally I'm a very well educated individual and I don't post crap. There is almost always scientific fact behind anything I post, and I find it offensive that I am limited to what I can do here by my post/rep count.

I didn't know about handing out rep points until yesterday. IME with forums rep counts end up being more of a buddy system. You gave me rep so I will give it to you. So yeah that isn't right. But what can you do. Most sites toss it in the bin after trying them but this one finds it useful. So I guess I need to hand out more rep points. :rolleyes:

Your right, BS is a lil harsh.

With all this talk of BS, I keep think you are talking about me! :D

Hey Kent67, Is there somewhere I can read about reputation points and all the different areas of this forum that I may or may not have access to? I looked, but I'm either incompetent, I couldn't find it, or it isn't there.

Are there negative reputation points or just positive on this forum?

Id much rather read ALL people's opinions, be they mighty and knowledable or friendly and simple or other- even the people that I find annoying I'd rather have the option of reading. I dont need a censor beyond basic enforcement of existing rules. Everyone has the option of adding people to their personal ignore list if they find a certain persons posts uninteresting.
But if we ever wanted to censor or get rid of what boysergeant and others seem to think is useless, this thread can be the first to go, IMO.

...Is there somewhere I can read about reputation points

Yes, Read the FAQs

Last edited:
However, to me the purpose of such a forum would be for the discussion of Melleri (or any other specialized subject) with experience owners and non experienced hobbyists alike.

I understand that intention but, if that were the case, we'd need 100+ subforums for every species. The idea behind some of these forums was that there are a number of species where advanced keepers really are focusing their efforts (Parson's, Meller's, etc) and thus they have a place to go. Kind of like the almost defunct Adcham list was meant to be. Although some of the 1,000 posts in a month newbies gain access to these forums by post count, their questions about Meller's "poo", etc really weren't intended to be there.

But I do see why it is the way it is. I just think if a person has deemed himself of sound mind and hasn't posted any useless posts in informational threads then that person should not be limited to what he/she is posting in. Personally I'm a very well educated individual and I don't post crap.

This is a good point (and one that's been considered), but, from an administrative point of view, screening people and then deciding who gets in or out is not only a lot of unnecessary work but again, involves making personal judgement calls and the associated hurt feelings and anger. It's not worth it, imo.

I didn't know about handing out rep points until yesterday. IME with forums rep counts end up being more of a buddy system. You gave me rep so I will give it to you. So yeah that isn't right. But what can you do. Most sites toss it in the bin after trying them but this one finds it useful. So I guess I need to hand out more rep points. :rolleyes:

There are supposedly built-in safeguards to prevent abuse of the rep system. It's also anonymous, and I've only known of a couple people who gave me points because they signed the comment. Also, as far as I've heard and/or seen, it's not something that gets abused here.

Id much rather read ALL people's opinions, be they mighty and knowledable or friendly and simple or other- even the people that I find annoying I'd rather have the option of reading. I dont need a censor beyond basic enforcement of existing rules. Everyone has the option of adding people to their personal ignore list if they find a certain persons posts uninteresting.
But if we ever wanted to censor our / get rid of what boysergeant and others seem to think is useless, this thread can be the first to go, IMO.

Yes, Read the FAQs

I read the FAQ's. I totally missed that last week when I was reading through the forums. Thank you!

I'm not in favor of censorship more than I am of people thinking about how their post will contribute to the thread as a whole. Interesting how you say that this thread "can be the first to go" in your opinion, but say you don't want censorship...but if we are going to censor something, take out the thread that asks people to think about their useless posts. Why are some people so concerned about someone pointing something out that apparently everyone knows is going on, is annoying, but no one is talking about? Why do people feel this is an attack? That is my impression (not just from you).

But, again, once I found out there were levels to membership here, I understand why some people are trying to increase their post count.

But if we ever wanted to censor our / get rid of what boysergeant and others seem to think is useless, this thread can be the first to go, IMO.

But you see this forum is for (among other things) useless post/threads. Well anything really non Cham related. Thus the original poster is in his right to post this thread as he posted it in the proper place. Other sites have forums usually listed as "site feedback" we don't have that here so still he posted in the proper place.

Sorry Boy Sargent but I would never refer to a member as BS...it just sounds wrong lol. I used to know a young lad who's handle was Major Fish. Again I couldn't bring myself to call him by his initials....

Kent, It isn't anonymous as all a member has to do is sign his rep statement. I understand this is out of the administrators hands. And sure safe guards are in place. Those "other sites" tried safe guards. It never works in the long run.

This is a good point (and one that's been considered), but, from an administrative point of view, screening people and then deciding who gets in or out is not only a lot of unnecessary work but again, involves making personal judgement calls and the associated hurt feelings and anger. It's not worth it, imo.

Agreed it would be an administrative nightmare. This is why most forums don't limit any posts in any forum. But yeah I do understand what you are saying. Thank you for the clarification.

Interesting how you say that this thread "can be the first to go" in your opinion, but say you don't want censorship....

Thats only PART of what I said. What I really said was: "But if we ever wanted to censor ... get rid of what boysergeant and others seem to think is useless, this thread can be the first to go, IMO." My point being that what one person finds a useful topic or post is junk to another - way too many opinions and cultural upbringings to find consensus on what is important and what is not.

Why are some people so concerned about someone pointing something out that apparently everyone knows is going on, is annoying, but no one is talking about? Why do people feel this is an attack? That is my impression (not just from you).

This is not the first thread to complain about the way other people post. Just because it annoys you doesnt mean it annoys everyone else. Just because your thread annoys me doesnt mean others wont thinks its that cats meow. Thus I reiterate its good to leave the forum as open as possible, to allow all voices equality.

People may be reacting to your words because it DOES sound like an attack. Perhaps you didnt mean it as such, but never the less...

People may be reacting to your words because it DOES sound like an attack. Perhaps you didnt mean it as such, but never the less...

Sadly this is the bane of the typed word. So sometimes we all need to take what is typed with a grain of salt. I'm guilty of being on both ends of this forum fopa (sp?).

But, I have increased my post count by 11 since this thread started!

That must be what we are all about... quantity not quality!

I just saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico. <--See how that was a waste of time?

EDIT: So I just received a PM from a member who would like to remain nameless... they sent me this:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/trimming-fat-12567/

Interesting...

But, I have increased my post count by 11 since this thread started!

That must be what we are all about... quantity not quality!

I just saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico. <--See how that was a waste of time?

Stop being a smart a**. I can say that cuz I personally know you :rolleyes:

Sadly this is the bane of the typed word. So sometimes we all need to take what is typed with a grain of salt. I'm guilty of being on both ends of this forum fopa (sp?).
Faux pas ;)

Truly. me too.
(and up goes my post count again - and who cares? I've never looked at that to be meaningful except as a measure of activity)

Seriously do we get post credit for posting in this forum? Again other sites using either the same or very close format limit post counts to informational forums only. No post count increases for post in the lounge and picture categories.

But seeing as how much post count means to your user privilege maybe it's best left alone. I just figured none of the nonsense meant anything for your
membership status.

Edit: Just answered my own question...indeed it does.

:D Well I have been here for a couple years now. It does add up. Especially when I start chit-chatting like this rather than taking my time to post more meaningful stuff.

I just figured none of the nonsense meant anything for your membership status.

Membership status, I believe, is a combination of Time (how long a member), Posts (activity), and Reputation.
Its fairly meaningless, except that as a junior/new member you have a very limited PM box (i think) and perhaps cant post in certain areas (classifieds?)

I don't care about junior/member/senior status. Some people post here to ask questions, post replies, or add some humor. Yes I'll admit there have been times I really shouldn't have posted in threads, I've admitted to that before - BUT! Some people have GREAT advice, censorship ruins a lot.

Sure, you'll have a bunch of people who know what they're talking about.. so basically you might have one or two questions a day, a couple off topic posts.. but where's the fun in that?

Some people (like myself) need to learn from trial and error, this forum has helped me have less error, more success.

If we were to censor this forum to people who "seem smart".. when in all reality they could just be looking at Wikipedia (LIKE SOMEONE I KNOW) and trying to sound smart.

Some people read and regurgitate. I do that a lot, but other times I DO have experience.

On a side note, I've gone to three different vets, one for a check up, one just to ask him about chameleons (which was free, Dr. Funk is a great guy) and another... I decided not to use because they were absolutely ridiculous and knew NOTHING about chameleons! Even if you are a certified exotic vet doesn't mean anything!

What I'm really trying to say, is if you say something is useless, you're just trying to start an argument. Threads like this just cause fights and hurtful comments to some people. Someone wants one thing, someone else wants another. If you really want to get rid of the "trash" use the ignore feature! Here's a link! https://www.chameleonforums.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

This thread is potential cause for hurtful, rude, inconsiderate comments... But, I understand what you're trying to say, and sometimes some people do know what they're saying, and others are just trying to make a conversation. Yeah, the spam gets annoying, I see it a lot, some people are just like. Hmmmm *insert smiley face here* or LooooooooooL so they can get the, what, 10 letter minimum in!

*sigh* I can't say I'm not a chatter, I try to give out helpful information, but there are times you just have to post in off topic or try to make someone feel better. I can't say every post I've made has contributed something scientifically, but maybe it's helped psychologically or emotionally.

BLARGH! It's time for bed.

And to bring this thread back up to a "lighter" note...

<joke>
My posting level is over 9000!
</joke>

Last edited:
There's a lot of youngins here as well, that's just how they are.

There's a lot of bored older people too, that's just how they are.

Takes all types, my friend, just deal with it and shrug it off.

I don't see any harm in someone being actively involved in this forum,
in whatever way they choose. It takes time to become an expert,
but it's good they are interactive and following many issues daily,
despite the fact they may be completely useless, they're going in the right direction.

Now, making pointless threads like this one......that'd make this forum totally suck!

Back
Top Bottom