URI anything but baytril???

laurie

Retired Moderator
I have a little noseybe who has URI based on the sounds he is making. I can call the vet and get baytril but one of my chams died from baytril so I am very leary of using it again. Is there any other med I can get that is easier on the cham than baytril? My local vet will sell it to me if I know what I want and what dose to give my cham. My other alternative is a 5 hour trip to Boseman to see a vet. 10 hours in a car is hard on a little sick cham so I am between a rock and a hard place. Any ideas?

Baytril is a very dangerous drug if used incorrectly. Overdosing can lead to kidney or liver failure, especially if the cham is not properly hydrated. Most vets will administer a 20mg/ml suspension and .01ml is given per 50g of body weight. From what I have observed when I used to use it, it suppresses appetite, but it is still an effective drug if it is all that is available to you. I personally use Fortaz, an injectable antibiotic that is administered via small insulin syringes. If you are comfortable giving them shots every day, or every other day (depending on the suspension), I would highly highly recommend it. I have cleared up bad uris in a weeks time using this drug, but I will continue to the treatment another week or so after I see symptoms go away, to insure the bacteria is all killed off (duh). Ask your vet about this drug, and feel free to pm me if you have any questions about it.

What about Reptaid - from Northwest Chameleons??? Anyone have any experience with it? It sure sounds good to me...

Wow I have some reptaid now why have I not been using it???? I will start tomorrow, chams are asleep now. Thanks

Honestly, I do not doubt reptaid, and I have never used the product, but I would not rely on this "drug" to save your chameleon alone. Respiratory infections can take a chameleon down quickly if it is not treated promptly and properly. Laurie, I will send you all the suspension info on fortaz tomorrow.

Baytril is a very dangerous drug if used incorrectly. Overdosing can lead to kidney or liver failure, especially if the cham is not properly hydrated. Most vets will administer a 20mg/ml suspension and .01ml is given per 50g of body weight. From what I have observed when I used to use it, it suppresses appetite, but it is still an effective drug if it is all that is available to you. I personally use Fortaz, an injectable antibiotic that is administered via small insulin syringes. If you are comfortable giving them shots every day, or every other day (depending on the suspension), I would highly highly recommend it. I have cleared up bad uris in a weeks time using this drug, but I will continue to the treatment another week or so after I see symptoms go away, to insure the bacteria is all killed off (duh). Ask your vet about this drug, and feel free to pm me if you have any questions about it.

My vet put my chams on baytril and now they both have kidney and liver failure. I don't know what to do now...

Glad to see there are other members out there afraid of Baytril. When I posted my concern I got slammed by some senior members. Good Luck Laurie!

No one should be afraid of baytril , I have used it with great success. It is all about the extra care needed to make sure the problems do not arise.

Laurie, if you use baytril just make sure you water them a lot. I give like 3-4 ml of water after I give them the dose and shower them every other day. I have only lost one cham being treated with baytril and it was not a result of baytril.

What people need to understand is you need to hydrate while giving them the drug. To fear the medication is silly , I do feel caution should be used. It is a tool and a very helpful tool.

Also, I have used reptaid and it has helped with a URI without any other drug. Serious cases I am still a little weary to use it and prefer baytril.

Last edited:

Fortaz is a really good option. Great advise Nic.

It is not without its share of adverse effects. hydration is the key with any medication.

Back
Top Bottom