URGENT: Moving my Veiled Today

PetrietheVeiled

I have a 3-6 month old veiled chameleon named Petrie, he's the coolest pet I have (besides the fact that he does not like humans lol), but that is besides the point. I am going to school today that is roughly 2.5 hours away. He does not get on my hands and therefor I am hesitant to put him in a box (to avoid stress). My initial idea was to just keep him in his enclosure(remove waterfall water), and then just cover all sides in moist towels for humidity. My only concern is that I am unable to do so during his sleeping cycle, I also know they need that ventilation so covering could reduce the ventilation. I know this is a lot, but I love this little guy and cant even bare to think of hurting him. So if anyone could please get back to me and let me know the best way or if my initial plan would work, Petire and myself would highly appreciate it. Thank you

a box would definitely stress him out, that's for sure.You can't place moist towels to cover up the cage. Instead, you can put moist towels in the cage which helps with the humidity without affecting the ventilation

You don't need to worry about stuff like humidity for 3 hours, that's not long enough to even bother him. Most people, myself included, transport chameleons in something dark like a box with a branch or two stuck though as a perch. A chameleon in a dark place will fall asleep, and that's the least stressful thing for him. Just put a towel or something on the floor to cushion him if he falls (doesn't have to me moist).

Coax him out on a branch, for example, and put him in a box and then leave the box alone for a 15-30 minutes, while you load up the rest of the car, for example, and then move him. By then he'll probably be sleeping and be totally ok for the 3 hour ride.

He could ride in the cage but there's more chance of him hitting things if it's a bumpy ride. It depends on the cage and how you have it set up. Just make it dark like I said, so wrap it in towels or sheets. Again, 3 hours without lots of airflow will not make a big difference.

And you may want to throw away that waterfall while you're at it ;) Waterfalls can do more harm than good with chameleons.

I would put him in a large ventilated box with something for him to cling on to. Cover the box with a towel to make it dark and he will go to sleep. (Hopefully) whatever you do he will be stressed to begin with. Are you able to keep him cool as he won't sleep if too warm?:)

a box would definitely stress him out, that's for sure.You can't place moist towels to cover up the cage. Instead, you can put moist towels in the cage which helps with the humidity without affecting the ventilation

I actually recommend using a dark box with a perch in it because it makes them just hunker down and go to sleep instead of stress trying to get back to familiar areas. Mine were in boxes for two days in a row (no lights, no humidity control, no food) and they did wonderfully. They just slept and then when they came out they went back to their normal routines like nothing had happened. Chameleons are finicky, but not so fragile that a few hours is going to kill them if they're otherwise healthy. Here's my advice on moving with chams: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ferretinmyshoes/733-traveling-chameleons.html

Ditch the waterfall for good.
Maybe use it in a future frog or toad enclosure but they brew too much bacteria to be any good for your cham. Better safe than sorry yakno

to start thank you so much for replying. the ride will be relatively smooth (all highway nice vehicle), and I will drive like I have a newborn without a car seat lol. I think for his sake I am going to keep him in his cage, cover it with towels, and then just buckle him in. So in all honesty is my waterfall crucial??? the pet store was VERY adamant about it, so of course I got it. but it is a PAIN in my rear cleaning it everyday. Should I get rid of it? it does look beautiful in his cage, but I understand it is very dirty.

So here is my plan, please let me know if it is not sufficient.

I am going to cover his enclosure with dry towels and his side by the window I will put card board over so he cannot see the road and blocks the most light, that way it is darker within his enclosure. I want to keep him in it because he really doesn't like interaction with people. And I am most definitely getting rid of my waterfall. You guys have convinced me lol.

how is this plan?

also, I use a drip system from the top to keep him hydrated, but the waterfall keep up the humidity, I understand they don't drink standing water, but can I keep the dish of water (without waterfall) for humidity?

So here is my plan, please let me know if it is not sufficient.

I am going to cover his enclosure with dry towels and his side by the window I will put card board over so he cannot see the road and blocks the most light, that way it is darker within his enclosure. I want to keep him in it because he really doesn't like interaction with people. And I am most definitely getting rid of my waterfall. You guys have convinced me lol.

how is this plan?

also, I use a drip system from the top to keep him hydrated, but the waterfall keep up the humidity, I understand they don't drink standing water, but can I keep the dish of water (without waterfall) for humidity?

Do you have a spare set of bed sheets or towels? It might be easier to just wrap it up than to start rigging cardboard (unless you tape it to the cage, that might work?)

Do you use live plants in your enclosure? A dripper is great but if you can spray down the cage a few times a day that would be great for him and for the humidity. Spraying will wet down the cage and live plants will stay wet longer, allow him to drink, and keep the humidity up. I promise you that misting will be more efficient than the water dish.

It's ok if the humidity isn't at 80% every second of every day, it's normal for it to fluctuate. The misting will help with this. But if you still think it's too low (like it won't go above 20%, for example, no matter what) you can take plastic sheeting (like a shower curtain) and tape it up to the back 2-3 sides of the cage. Leave the front and top open for air but covering the sides will keep the humidity in longer.

Glad you are ditching the waterfall. No please don't use the waterdish as you will have the same problem. Feeders drowning and bits of plant dropping in it. To keep up humidity use live plants and mist 4 times a day.,your humidity doesn't have to be constant, it needs to peak and drop several times a day. Your cage needs to dry out completely between mistings. Pet shop were seeing $ signs.:D

you guys are awesome haha. Yes the water dish just got taken out too haha. his humidity NEVER drops below 50 regardless of time and situation. when he drinks he prefers to hang from the top of the cage and catch ice drippings, so I will continue that as well as keep spraying. so Olympia, I feel you are very knowledgeable, and am going to wrap his enclosure in bedsheets, spray before I leave, and just take the trip. thank you all so much for the help, cant even tell how happy I am I found this website.

Back
Top Bottom