How to know when a chameleon has passed?

Chriscarusoc

This may be a very dumb question but how can you tell?

For a slight backstory my male veiled chameleon is six and a half years old and has been struggling the past few weeks. He was very weak and unable to balance but was still eating and drinking. I took him to the vet who said he saw nothing wrong and suggested I give him a week with extra care and follow up. I read up on some of the symptoms he was exhibiting(grabbing his front legs with his back legs) and not moving properly. Another Reddit user with a similar issue suggested creating an outdoor setup for him because natural light would supposedly help. I set it up and over three days got him used to it. It had partial shade and a water glass that he was aware of. Today was super nice, roughly 80 Fahrenheit, so I kept him outside for roughly four hours. Two hours in I checked on him and he seemed… normal. Went to go bring him inside two hours after and he passed. It appears as if he passed away biting down on the towel. I found him with his eyes open and no discoloration. He is completely limp and unresponsive.

I just don’t want to bury an animal that could potentially be alive still. Based on what I read they usually die with eyes closed, mouth open, and start to turn black in coloration. If anyone has any advice or knows please tell me! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7211.jpeg
    IMG_7211.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 7
I’d set him in a little box on a towel and wait until in the morning and see if he’s moved.
That’s what I have him in right now, I will wait until then. I guess I’m just concerned if he’s dead he’ll attract bugs or smell. Thank you for the response.

When one of mine passed on the way home from the vet, I knew he was gone but my denial needed to be certain. I placed him in a soft padded box and kept checking on him. The next afternoon (not quite 24 hours) there was no doubt he was gone. No odor or anything like that…he just hadn’t moved and was stiff. My grief took another hour or two before I could place the cover on the box and take him to be cremated.
I’m very sorry that you’ve lost your big guy. You’ve done very well to have him for so many years, but it will never be nearly long enough for our hearts. ((( 💗 )))

This may be a very dumb question but how can you tell?

For a slight backstory my male veiled chameleon is six and a half years old and has been struggling the past few weeks. He was very weak and unable to balance but was still eating and drinking. I took him to the vet who said he saw nothing wrong and suggested I give him a week with extra care and follow up. I read up on some of the symptoms he was exhibiting(grabbing his front legs with his back legs) and not moving properly. Another Reddit user with a similar issue suggested creating an outdoor setup for him because natural light would supposedly help. I set it up and over three days got him used to it. It had partial shade and a water glass that he was aware of. Today was super nice, roughly 80 Fahrenheit, so I kept him outside for roughly four hours. Two hours in I checked on him and he seemed… normal. Went to go bring him inside two hours after and he passed. It appears as if he passed away biting down on the towel. I found him with his eyes open and no discoloration. He is completely limp and unresponsive.

I just don’t want to bury an animal that could potentially be alive still. Based on what I read they usually die with eyes closed, mouth open, and start to turn black in coloration. If anyone has any advice or knows please tell me! Thank you!
I’m so sorry this is happening, 6 and a half years is an amazing length of time for your guy. Sending hugs 🫂

It sounds like your boy was already feeling his age being quite old... Unfortunately you received some incorrect advice from reddit which is a common occurrence. Based on that pic he looks to still be alive but is dying. I agree with putting him in a small box. You mentioned the most common signs of a cham that has passed away. I am very sorry for your loss. But he had a wonderful long life with you which many veileds do not get.

Back
Top Bottom