Urate

Flacon67

Established Member
So I walked in my room, looked st my cage, and saw a really wet looking urate. And u know now, I picked it up and flushed it down the toilet. It smelled horrible more than normal and it was almost seeping threw the paper towel. I don’t know what it was HELP!!

Hi hello -- start by filling out this form please. Did you take a photo of the urate? Please be sure to include photos of the chameleon and enclosure and check the clinic forums to find a reputable reptile vet near you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled chameleon. Male, or female. I have 2 in the same cage. Idk which one the urate is from. They are happy together, they have never fought and they have lived together forever. About the male has been 5 months or 3 and the female 3 or 3
  • I handled yesterday, I strive for 4 times a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • around 20. I just put 20-25 in the cage and let them both eat around and 10. —Crickets. I gutload then with fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? everyday except Friday I have without d3 calcium powder and on Wednesday the first of the month I give with d3 and then the next vitiamins and then so on.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?I only see one chameleon drinking(female) but I’m positive the male drinks as well. I use a listing bottle. I most about 3-4 times a day and for about 2 minutes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?mostly brown for the poop and a white with a hint of yellow for the urate. Never been tested for parasites either of them.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. none

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 16x16x24, I’m working on getting a bigger cage.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?repti sun. And I use a coiled uvb and a 90 watt heating lamp. I turn on st 8 and turn off at around 8:30
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? around 90-86 temperature wise at the top and 75-85 at the bottom. I use a digital thermometer
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I believe they r around 40-50 and I use a mister. I use a hydrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? it’s on a night stand. Not near a window or vent. No high traffic
  • Georgia, about an hour north from Atlanta.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.urate was very runny. And wet

I will let a more experience Yemen keeper chime in but I would highly suggest you separate the Chams. Without careful keeping in a large enclosure having two housed together will cause them stress. You may not see them "fight", but they will establish a pecking order, and who knows what happens when you are not around -- also, you will inevitably have fertile eggs on your hands -- and he could attempt to "breed" her to death. The male and female, usually, have slightly different requirements IE temperature and feeding amounts.

That reptisun -- is it a linear bulb? 5.0 or 10.0? Could you please post photos of your chams and enclosure?

Took a peek at your past threads -- have you been able to make the upgrades suggested to you originally? Also -- for proper feedback a photo of the enclosure is very necessary. Seems you have already been given good advice.

But, Please, separate them. If not for the health, then so you don't have 50 babies on your hands.

I will let a more experience Yemen keeper chime in but I would highly suggest you separate the Chams. Without careful keeping in a large enclosure having two housed together will cause them stress. You may not see them "fight", but they will establish a pecking order, and who knows what happens when you are not around -- also, you will inevitably have fertile eggs on your hands -- and he could attempt to "breed" her to death. The male and female, usually, have slightly different requirements IE temperature and feeding amounts.

That reptisun -- is it a linear bulb? 5.0 or 10.0? Could you please post photos of your chams and enclosure?
Well, I’ve bwen working on getting a liner one, the hight output one, but I can’t right now. But they have a coiled one. I will post pictures

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled chameleon. Male, or female. I have 2 in the same cage. Idk which one the urate is from. They are happy together, they have never fought and they have lived together forever. About the male has been 5 months or 3 and the female 3 or 3
  • around 20. I just put 20-25 in the cage and let them both eat around and 10. —Crickets. I gutload then with fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? everyday except Friday I have without d3 calcium powder and on Wednesday the first of the month I give with d3 and then the next vitiamins and then so on.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?I only see one chameleon drinking(female) but I’m positive the male drinks as well. I use a listing bottle. I most about 3-4 times a day and for about 2 minutes
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?mostly brown for the poop and a white with a hint of yellow for the urate. Never been tested for parasites either of them.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. none

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 16x16x24, I’m working on getting a bigger cage.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?repti sun. And I use a coiled uvb and a 90 watt heating lamp. I turn on st 8 and turn off at around 8:30
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? around 90-86 temperature wise at the top and 75-85 at the bottom. I use a digital thermometer
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I believe they r around 40-50 and I use a mister. I use a hydrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? it’s on a night stand. Not near a window or vent. No high traffic

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.urate was very runny. And wet

There are multiple things that you really need to correct.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled chameleon. Male, or female. I have 2 in the same cage. Idk which one the urate is from. They are happy together, they have never fought and they have lived together forever. About the male has been 5 months or 3 and the female 3 or 3 they do not enjoy living together. In fact as they get older one will take the dominant role and the other will suffer for it. Your male being older has probably already done this. They should never be housed together because of this. They are not fighting yet..... They will. And he will try to mate with her. He will actually force himself on her. They need to be separated asap.
  • around 20. I just put 20-25 in the cage and let them both eat around and 10. —Crickets. I gutload then with fresh fruits and vegetables. You have no way to know how many one is getting over the other. This is another reason why chams are seperated as they get past the 2-3 month stage.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?mostly brown for the poop and a white with a hint of yellow for the urate. Never been tested for parasites either of them. It is always better to get them tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 16x16x24, I’m working on getting a bigger cage. You need two cages and they need to be separated so they can not see each other to reduce stress.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?repti sun. And I use a coiled uvb and a 90 watt heating lamp. I turn on st 8 and turn off at around 8:30 Coiled bulbs are not adequate you have to have a t5HO fixture... If a single bulb then you need a 5.0 bulb for it. They will develop MBD if they do not have the correct UVB lighting.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? around 90-86 temperature wise at the top and 75-85 at the bottom. I use a digital thermometer Far too hot at basking for their ages.... No hotter then 85 at basking.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants. Live plants help with humidity, cleaning the air, and creating places that make them feel safe.
As far as the urate. Typically this means they are very hydrated. However if you have not had a fecal done on either of them I can not say this is for certain.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled chameleon. Male, or female. I have 2 in the same cage. Idk which one the urate is from. They are happy together, they have never fought and they have lived together forever. About the male has been 5 months or 3 and the female 3 or 3 they do not enjoy living together. In fact as they get older one will take the dominant role and the other will suffer for it. Your male being older has probably already done this. They should never be housed together because of this. They are not fighting yet..... They will. And he will try to mate with her. He will actually force himself on her. They need to be separated asap.
  • around 20. I just put 20-25 in the cage and let them both eat around and 10. —Crickets. I gutload then with fresh fruits and vegetables. You have no way to know how many one is getting over the other. This is another reason why chams are seperated as they get past the 2-3 month stage.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?mostly brown for the poop and a white with a hint of yellow for the urate. Never been tested for parasites either of them. It is always better to get them tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen 16x16x24, I’m working on getting a bigger cage. You need two cages and they need to be separated so they can not see each other to reduce stress.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?repti sun. And I use a coiled uvb and a 90 watt heating lamp. I turn on st 8 and turn off at around 8:30 Coiled bulbs are not adequate you have to have a t5HO fixture... If a single bulb then you need a 5.0 bulb for it. They will develop MBD if they do not have the correct UVB lighting.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? around 90-86 temperature wise at the top and 75-85 at the bottom. I use a digital thermometer Far too hot at basking for their ages.... No hotter then 85 at basking.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants. Live plants help with humidity, cleaning the air, and creating places that make them feel safe.
As far as the urate. Typically this means they are very hydrated. However if you have not had a fecal done on either of them I can not say this is for certain.
Was ONE click away from tagging you @Beman. My spidey senses could feel your fingers typing.

Cage Info:
Ok, thanks. I’ll send a pic of the cage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 143
Also, is getting the cam tested for paristies, expensive?
To be very frank --everything about a cham is expensive -- if you are unable to get a linear t5 at the time, then you may not be able to afford two -- which you will need if you intend to keep both chameleons... The keepers here can help you peice togather equipment for good prices -- but you are looking at a minimum of $800 (that's being really generous) for a proper setup. Keeping two is more pricey than one.

Ok, thanks. I’ll send a pic of the cage.
A pic of the cage is not going to help.... If you do not get them separated and if you do not get the lighting your chams will not live long. Pleaseeeeee understand we have been saying the same thing for months you have to do this for them. If you do not have the money to have two proper set ups then you need to rehome the female to someone that can provide for her correctly. Females are harder for new keepers due to them laying infertile eggs multiple times within the year. Then you can focus on your male and get him what he needs.

To be very frank --everything about a cham is expensive -- if you are unable to get a linear t5 at the time, then you may not be able to afford two -- which you will need if you intend to keep both chameleons... The keepers here can help you peice togather equipment for good prices -- but you are looking at a minimum of $800 (that's being really generous) for a proper setup. Keeping two is more pricey than one.
Yeah well... I’m working on it and I rly am. Trust me. I was so excited when I got them and u know I had the stuff until I realized that I need more. So yeah. I’m working on it. And I’ll be sure to get another cage and separate them. So what do I need from right this point? Thank you. I really want the best for them

@Flacon67 I want you to look at your picture.... See the way she is hiding... She is being submissive. She is stressed and hiding when she should be basking. This is not ok... SHE IS NOT OK. She will suffer for it and she will die. You need to rehome her. If you can not afford the proper lighting then they are both developing MBD. Which is a horrible way for a chameleon to suffer.

image copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom