Upgrading to larger vivarium!

Aren't they? Here, other forums, blogs, podcasts, YT videos, etc.?
Many studies, articles, interviews, and the aforementioned are records of real life experiences & knowledge, eh?

Just as there will be information, there will also be misinformation. I think most folks know (or should by now) that that's a given. :)

BTW You posted " Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C) "

This is way too hot.

BTW You posted " Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C) "

This is way too hot.
Correction/difference noted. I quoted (and linked to) the veiled chameleon caresheet in the Resources section of this site.
Yes, there's a difference of opinion on those temps between the folks here and Petr Necas; in fact, I brought it up, and Petr's reply was:
yes some of the information in the care sheet is o jectively incorrect. I paid lots of efforts to give very detailed feedback to the board but they decided they do not want to change it.
Petr's data can be found here.
I don't have a dog in this kerfuffle. As I said in that thread:
I hope that existing misinformation & confusion can be reconciled for everyone's benefit. :)

anything above 85 and my veiled will start gaping. I agree with petr about how lower temps are better but he reccomends nothing over 80 but I keep mine nothing over 85.

anything above 85 and my veiled will start gaping. I agree with petr about how lower temps are better but he reccomends nothing over 80 but I keep mine nothing over 85.

Yes I keep lower temps as well. My basking may reach 80-85, but ambient has been around 76.
The male still basks in the morning for a bit, but with summer and ambient going to 74-76 up from 72-74 my female rarely goes to warm up, and is quite content to stay in the cooler temps.

But always remember real life experiences and knowledge are not written down.
There is no substitute for experience.

The Internet = Greatest source of misinformation.

Quality of experience>length of experience IMO. Someone could have 100 useless years of experience in something where they continually do it wrong. Not implying this is anyone here, just pointing it out

How are you folks handling the requisite nighttime temperature drops?
Perhaps you both live in areas it's not a problem?
If simulating the rainy summertime, use the following temperatures:
Nighttime: 60s
If simulating the dry wintertime, use the following temperatures:
Nighttime: 50s
These are the main reason I had to eliminate veileds from consideration. :(

Correction/difference noted. I quoted (and linked to) the veiled chameleon caresheet in the Resources section of this site.
Yes, there's a difference of opinion on those temps between the folks here and Petr Necas; in fact, I brought it up, and Petr's reply was:

Petr's data can be found here.
I don't have a dog in this kerfuffle. As I said in that thread:

i knownwhere ai jave collectwd the kriginal
Material
6000fr high
The climate now i. The aexond hottest month is on the charts

i do not inderstandwith what right people dare still to insist on absokutely wrong temlerature recommendations that objectivelylead to starving and early death

Attachments

• 6121AAED-5509-4266-85A1-575FFB5B9978.jpeg
    6121AAED-5509-4266-85A1-575FFB5B9978.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 62
  • F3C5717B-05AE-475D-B8C3-CA1B17349C32.jpeg
    F3C5717B-05AE-475D-B8C3-CA1B17349C32.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 67
How are you folks handling the requisite nighttime temperature drops?
Perhaps you both live in areas it's not a problem?

These are the main reason I had to eliminate veiled from consideration. :(

I don't know about others, but for me In the rooms I use I can close the door, in one I use a fan to get extra pull through the vent, and it cools lower than my house setting. In the hot summer this gets it down to 70 to 72, with a fogger I can drop to < 70.

Where you live will matter. If you have central air it can be done, if you don't maybe a window unit or room ac?

It is a balance There are many methods. Do you know what your room temps get down to at night?

This is all the stuff that you need experience for. Knowing what your target is and getting there are two different things. That is one place this site helps for sure, not what but how can I achieve it.

i knownwhere ai jave collectwd the kriginal
Material
6000fr high
The climate now i. The aexond hottest month is on the charts

i do not inderstandwith what right people dare still to insist on absokutely wrong temlerature recommendations that objectivelylead to starving and early death

One of the first things I really liked about peter is that he was verifying what I was seeing in weather and satellite data. Care sheets had numbers above 90 but in the data I could rarely find temps this high, further the animals would not sit in the hottest part. It just didn't make sense.

So I'm not arguing one way or another, maybe this could be a case for seasonal temperature changes, but in this picture their warmest average is 83. That's same as ours where I live, and it means days in the 90s aren't that uncommon. Have a basking of 85-90 at least gives the animal the choice(with plenty of space to cool off elsewhere) In the wild it would be even warmer from the ambient temperature reaching that making it hard to escape.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728-193841_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-193841_Chrome.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 73
So I'm not arguing one way or another, maybe this could be a case for seasonal temperature changes, but in this picture their warmest average is 83. That's same as ours where I live, and it means days in the 90s aren't that uncommon. Have a basking of 85-90 at least gives the animal the choice(with plenty of space to cool off elsewhere) In the wild it would be even warmer from the ambient temperature reaching that making it hard to escape.

One thing you have to consider is that the temperature is from the city. A little out of town and especially the wadis where they live, it is going to be cooler

One thing you have to consider is that the temperature is from the city. A little out of town and especially the wadis where they live, it is going to be cooler

Yeah I get that. I live near the woods and the temp is cooler than just 5 minutes away. Only about 5-7 degree difference. And it's much more humid here than yemen I would think. I just pulled up the same area as petr did though(when he uses something to justify his argument it's okay I guess ;)). All of the places I'm looking at get about that same temp or warmer. Maybe I'm missing something I'll admit I didn't look long. If their humidity is so low during the day, then there couldn't be that many trees/foliage to cool things down. Our humidity here is very high and the dense rainforest-like trees are what drop our temps a few degrees compared to the open areas just down the road.

Last edited:
well petr's right when he says that it barely gets over 80 in yemen. What temps are your chams at? If the temp gauge ever starts to exceed 30c (86f) then i turn the heat lamp off.

well petr's right when he says that it barely gets over 80 in yemen. What temps are your chams at? If the temp gauge ever starts to exceed 30c (86f) then i turn the heat lamp off.

83 average isn't barely over 80. And especially as an ambient. Now I can agree with @CasqueAbove that maybe where they're at is cooler, but I would suspect higher humidity then during the day. Or maybe near a river that cools things off. But according to the area petr pulled up, which is what I'm going off and discussing, it would get pretty warm.

good point I was forgetting that that's ambient. It also could be that the weather tracker thingy is near the bottom of the mountains whereas the chameleons live mostly at the top.

According to the article I read they're found up and down the mountain, but I'll take petr's word on that because I haven't been to yemen lol.

Moreover,
I agree with fluctuations: average never happens
in csotivity, however we should always try not to simulate extremes or sreas near to, as we can not offer the animals all choices tjey jave in the wild... and especially extreme Jigh tempersture in terrarium can be very dangerous

Moreover,
I agree with fluctuations: average never happens
in csotivity, however we should always try not to simulate extremes or sreas near to, as we can not offer the animals all choices tjey jave in the wild... and especially extreme Jigh tempersture in terrarium can be very dangerous

I agree with this. So if your temp is 85-90 in just one little area wouldn't that be acceptable?

Back
Top Bottom