Upgrading to larger vivarium!

Any thoughts on an ALL MESH viv? I thought it could be too cool or draughty personally! A lot of the larger vivs seem to be mesh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200727_193956_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200727_193956_com.android.chrome.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 83
buy either a repti breeze or dragon strand 4ft tall.(122cm) if you can't have a 4ft tall cage in your home, then you'll have to rehome him before he hits adulthood. dragonstrand and reptibreeze are all screen.

I've good space for 100cm wide 45cm deep x any height. He's not that big for around 5 months, as you can see.

Attachments

• IMG_20200727_195513.jpg
    IMG_20200727_195513.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20200727_195523.jpg
    IMG_20200727_195523.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 98
you'll only need half a foot of depth to buy him a 2x2x4. is there any way you could remedy this? his cage is already looking very small for him.

Wait I thought 3ft tall by 3ft wide Sorry. 1.5 tall is way to short.
I thought is was the exottera XL.

Yes too short. And at 3 feet it should be mostly climbing, not the bottom filled with pots.
IMO, 3ft is still not high enough for an adult male. especially with only 18" of width. Maybe if you had something like a 3x3 or 2.5x3 then maybe. Still going to strongly reccomend a 2x2x4 all screen. More ventilation in screen cages as well.

IMO, 3ft is still not high enough for an adult male. especially with only 18" of width. Maybe if you had something like a 3x3 or 2.5x3 then maybe. Still going to strongly reccomend a 2x2x4 all screen. More ventilation in screen cages as well.

Compared to the 18 wide I agree. I thought the Exoterra was deeper. I wish they would just make appropriate size cages. 40in Tall x 36 wide x 24 deep is the min space I would want. Nobody makes these unless you get DragonStrand. That is why I like free range, but particularly set up around the enclosure so it all becomes one, but they can be safely closed in when not supervised.

The only reason I can keep mine the way I do is that I work from home, so I am litterer checking on the all day.

so @lthrbecks you can get something 3ft tall if you want but if you got something 3ft tall you would have to have something more than 18" wide. mine are in 3ft tall but 24" wide. I would still HIGHLY reccomend a screen 2x2x4. that 18x18x36 you havce your eye on is not adequate for an adult male.

I've good space for 100cm wide 45cm deep x any height.
So you're only short 6" (15cm) of depth (from providing the recommended 60 x 60)?
Dude, there's gotta be a way.
Once upon a time I did this sort of problem solving (office landscape & layout).

Are you saying it would overhang whatever it's sitting on? If so, what about moving that piece of furniture out a few inches from the wall?

I think we could think this thing through with an accurate room plan, but that's up to you.

Any thoughts on an ALL MESH viv? I thought it could be too cool or draughty personally! A lot of the larger vivs seem to be mesh.
My personal preferences would be (in order):
1. Hybrid enclosure
2. All screen/mesh enclosure
3. Glass enclosure w/ mesh/screen top & panels.

IMO it would be easier to block off too much mesh with panels than it would to provide additional ventilation (replacing glass w/ mesh). Some folks have used fans, but that could (not necessarily will) border on drafty (if that's an issue).

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I'm not sure if there's a vivarium that size made of glass. I've attached a picture of reptibreeze viv. I'm not fussed on mess in case it's too cold. Will I need a heat mat at the rear like I have now on my glass set up. Also a heat lamp for basking?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200727_230816_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200727_230816_com.android.chrome.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 90
XL Reptibreeze 61x61x122cm
Yes, that would be the correct size.
Will I need a heat mat at the rear like I have now on my glass set up. Also a heat lamp for basking?
Referring again to the Resource section: (You should really familiarize yourself with this material.)
Temperature:
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

Ambient temperature refers to the temperature near the bottom of the cage and basking temperature refers to the hottest point accessible to your chameleon. Basking is where a chameleon absorbs heat from an external overhead source to help regulate their body temperature; it also promotes proper digestion and a healthy metabolism. Nighttime temperatures can safely drop down to 50F (10C) so a night heat source should not be used unless temperatures are lower than this. If night heat is needed a ceramic heat emitter or space heater should be used, not a light bulb, even red or black bulbs.
I would start from the top-down, with a household incandescent bulb for basking. I would NOT use an IR heat lamp. If you need heat beyond what the incandescent, your UVB, and plant lights put out, I would probably use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE)

HEAT LAMP—NO!________CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER—YES

1595889114439.png

...and proceed from there, depending on what temperatures are being obtained.

This is not a Plug-N-Play procedure—it's a Trial & Error process.

I've never used a heat mat personally, so I'm not familiar with the Dos & Don'ts.
If you still require more heat in certain areas of the enclosure, I'd spend some time in the archives for a number of points of view & advice.

Fantastic! I'm very impressed with your knowledge. Interestingly, I rarely use my basking lamp. The temperature is always around the mid 20°C. Therefore I don't switch it on.

Fantastic! I'm very impressed with your knowledge. Interestingly, I rarely use my basking lamp. The temperature is always around the mid 20°C. Therefore I don't switch it on.
I have a rule which is I always turn it off as soon as it exceeds 30c (86) I disagree with 90-95 for the male that's too hot I wouldnt go far above 85

@PetNcs has done feild research and will tell you more about heat

Fantastic! I'm very impressed with your knowledge.
The knowledge is out there for the gleaning.

1595944745888.png
1595944761857.png

You may be too young to know/remember... Long before the internet was a gleam in Al Gore's eye (1942), science fiction god Isaac Asimov wrote about a fictional Encyclopedia Galactica (Foundation*) that would one day (circa AD 11,584) be a repository for all human knowledge.

Today, we have the interweb [sic]—we're getting there—millennia ahead of schedule! ?
Any knowledge I have comes from this site, Google (and all the other chameleon sources thereon), Google Scholar, Youtube, public library & educational systems (i.e. school), and... where I find it.

I know only a smattering compared to many others (who shall remain nameless—the narcissists know who they are... :p ) A few well-spent minutes a day in the archives and/or on google will extract all the knowledge you'll ever need or want to know.

*I was fortunate to meet Dr. Asimov at a fantasy/science fiction convention in the late '70s, and snag an inscribed autographed copy of the Foundation trilogy (later the Foundation series)—albeit in paperback. It holds an honored place in our science fiction library.

The knowledge is out there for the gleaning.

View attachment 273211 View attachment 273212

You may be too young to know/remember... Long before the internet was a gleam in Al Gore's eye (1942), science fiction god Isaac Asimov wrote about a fictional Encyclopedia Galactica (Foundation*) that would one day (circa AD 11,584) be a repository for all human knowledge.

Today, we have the interweb [sic]—we're getting there—millennia ahead of schedule! ?
Any knowledge I have comes from this site, Google (and all the other chameleon sources thereon), Google Scholar, Youtube, public library & educational systems (i.e. school), and... where I find it.

I know only a smattering compared to many others (who shall remain nameless—the narcissists know who they are... :p ) A few well-spent minutes a day in the archives and/or on google will extract all the knowledge you'll ever need or want to know.

*I was fortunate to meet Dr. Asimov at a fantasy/science fiction convention in the late '70s, and snag an inscribed autographed copy of the Foundation trilogy (later the Foundation series)—albeit in paperback. It holds an honored place in our science fiction library.

But always remember real life experiences and knowledge are not written down.
There is no substitute for experience.

The Internet = Greatest source of misinformation.

But always remember real life experiences and knowledge are not written down.
There is no substitute for experience.
Aren't they? Here, other forums, blogs, podcasts, YT videos, etc.?
Many studies, articles, interviews, and the aforementioned are records of real life experiences & knowledge, eh?

Just as there will be information, there will also be misinformation. I think most folks know (or should by now) that that's a given. :)

Aren't they? Here, other forums, blogs, podcasts, YT videos, etc.?
Many studies, articles, interviews, and the aforementioned are records of real life experiences & knowledge, eh?

Just as there will be information, there will also be misinformation. I think most folks know (or should by now) that that's a given. :)

Yep I guess it is all there. Good luck when you get one.

Back
Top Bottom