Updates on a Rescue

chamelisa

Very Lethargic Panther

Yesterday late in the day I was sitting outside with this female panther sitting in my hand. I was talking with my husband while giving her some fluids and calcium. As I held her, her color turned dark as in previous photos Kayla posted. Not drastic color changes but enough to see the pattern. I also noticed her sides looked slightly lumpy. I thought maybe she could be gravid.

So last night I put her to bed in a large nursery pot with a sand and soil mixture. Only a couple of napkins she could sleep on since she wasn't very good at perching on anything else. I also predug a hole for her hoping that when she woke up in the morning she might start digging.

Well she's digging!!! :D

That is great news! I really admire what you do, I think it would upset me far too much. I hope she makes a good recovery.

Jazzy Digging

Here she is in the second hole she dug. I think she's serious about this. The funky bright napkins are what I put her on to sleep last night. :)

Because she has such poor coordination, I pulled her out of the nest to make sure she doesn't get stuck and suffocate. I washed her off and put her back in after I made the hole wider. This is NOT what you should do in any other situation, but I am very concerned about her lack of coordination. So I'll have to supervise this until she's done.

Attachments

• IMG_8045.jpg
    IMG_8045.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Here she is in position to drop eggs. She seems content. I sprayed her down and she drank. On her own she dug about 4 inches down in a perfect little cylindrical form. But she got stuck. I dug another 1-2 inches and made the hole about 2 inches wider to fit her body in it. She is straddling the hole like she's over a toilet.

Is this too much to share on the forums?

Attachments

• IMG_8046.jpg
    IMG_8046.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 110
Any news? I'm dying to know :)

She's asleep right now. She pushed out two eggs but didn't bury them. She left the nest for a short time and went back to it.

Kayla had the blood panel results sent over to my vet. I was hoping the chameleon would have finished up today so she could be seen tomorrow. No such luck.

So that's all I know now.

Today I took the chameleon to Dr. Molnar to see if he thought oxytocin might be wise in this situation. It may or may not work, so we decided to give it a try. These eggs need to come out.

However this turns out (and I hope for a positive outcome), I'm glad that you are the one that has her. You're doing a helluva job.

I actually had a dream about the poor little thing last night, I hope she is doing ok

She's doing ok. Trying to push more eggs out. I'm giving her the neocalglucon twice a day along with one injection of oxytocin and this will go on for just one more day, tomorrow being the last. After that we will just let her do her thing. So the goal today is to get the eggs out once and for all.

I dislike using oxytocin but in this case after seeing her digging and all the difficulty she's had and the fact she doesn't expel the eggs completely, I felt like we really needed to.

My daughter is great with needles and syringes. She had training to become a phlebotomist recently. So I'm letting her do the injections for me while I hold the chameleon. Great bonding moment. ;)

Back
Top Bottom