Updated care!!

chamalam

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    -veiled, male, 3-4 years, I got him when we was a small lad
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon
    -max once a week, not very often
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    -variety of bugs including banded crickets, hornworms (treat), silkworms, discoid roaches, BSFL, waxworms (treat), mealworms (treat); I feed 4-5 feeders Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; I gut load with yams and bug burger
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    -rep-cal calcium without D3 every feeding and then reptivite with D3 on the 1st and 15th of every month
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    -I use a pressure mister to hand mist for 2 minutes 30 minutes before and after lights turn on/off, and then I have a reptifogger that goes on after I mist after the lights go off, and I have seen him drinking
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    -Brown and keeps its shape with off-white/yellow urates, never has been tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    -none

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    -D.I.Y screen cage, 2' x 2' x 4'
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
    uvb: reptisun 5.0 long T5HO
    basking: repti basking spot lamp 75w
    -turns on at 8 am and goes till 9 pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    -basking to cage floor: my therm measure broke so I have been putting my hand under to make sure it's not too hot but I would guess 85-70f ranges
    -lowest temp: 60f
    -therm currently broken, any affordable recommendations are appreciated
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    -daytime: 20-40%
    -nighttime 30-50%
    -probe hydrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
    -all live plants, I'm using pothos/philodendrons and a mass cane! also there is a polka dot plant on the bottom.
    -not exactly live plants but i want to note im using oak branches!
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    -up against a wall and on a little platform making it about 20'' off the ground
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
    -western US

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
-not too many concerns I just want to know if there are any other parts of my care that needs to be addressed, I'm a little concerned that he likes to hang out on the bottom for a while? He will go to bask for a while and then go to the bottom and scratch at the door? I sort of want to know why he's doing that.

(also dont know why its sideway :(

1631407666818.png

View attachment 309900

1631407913205.png

Attachments

• 1631407829123.png
    1631407829123.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 87
The only thing I can see that needs a tweak is your humidity. It should be 30-50% during the day but at night it needs to be at least 75-80%. Your humidity is too low at night. If you check Amazon or eBay you can get a temp gauge with a wired probe for about $4.00. They’re pretty cheap so I would recommend getting one of those and zip tieing the probe to his basking branch where he sits to bask. If you can afford it I’d get at least 3 so you can have one at the top, one in the middle, and one near the bottom.

Also I think I see a humidifier. If your going to use it. It can only be at night and temps must be below 67°. Veileds don't really need humidifiers but they are cool.

Also the mulch in the bottom of the cage needs to be removed because it poses an impaction risk if he should try to eat it. You need to add some stones, too big for him to swallow, on the top of the dirt in the plant pots so he doesn’t eat the dirt.

Also I think I see a humidifier. If your going to use it. It can only be at night and temps must be below 67°. Veileds don't really need humidifiers but they are cool.
that is the reptifogger i was talking about! i use it but it doesnt see to boost the humidity to much
Also the mulch in the bottom of the cage needs to be removed because it poses an impaction risk if he should try to eat it. You need to add some stones, too big for him to swallow, on the top of the dirt in the plant pots so he doesn’t eat the dirt.
ive tried bare bottom before and it stank because all the water pooled at the bottom? i dont exactly have a drainage system so thats a issue

Ive been trying to boost my humidity at night but its pretty hard because i live in such a dry climate! im trying to get some shower curtains for the sides in the future though!

You really need a drainage system. They’re easy to set up and it gets rid of sitting water which isn’t good. Right now you’re water is sitting in the wood chips and it’s probably growing bacteria which is not good for your Cham.

Just click on the search icon and put the word drainage in the search bar and threads about drainage will come up. There’s quite a few ways to do it.

@chamalam

See my feedback in bold. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
    -variety of bugs including banded crickets, hornworms (treat), silkworms, discoid roaches, BSFL, waxworms (treat), mealworms (treat); I feed 4-5 feeders Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; I gut load with yams and bug burger... This is fine. he looks more on the slender side.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
    -rep-cal calcium without D3 every feeding and then reptivite with D3 on the 1st and 15th of every month perfect
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
    -I use a pressure mister to hand mist for 2 minutes 30 minutes before and after lights turn on/off, and then I have a reptifogger that goes on after I mist after the lights go off, and I have seen him drinking good. Make sure your cage temps are already below 67 at night when you use the fogger.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
    -Brown and keeps its shape with off-white/yellow urates, never has been tested for parasites... This is fine as long as the urate is at least 50% white. Should he have loose bowels get a fecal run.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    -none

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    -D.I.Y screen cage, 2' x 2' x 4' Great
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    -basking to cage floor: my therm measure broke so I have been putting my hand under to make sure it's not too hot but I would guess 85-70f ranges Get a temp gauge with probe for the actual basking spot... Need to know what this is... should be 80-85max.
    -therm currently broken, any affordable recommendations are appreciated.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
    -daytime: 20-40% This is within limits.
    -nighttime 30-50% This is as well, Could be higher but only if temps are below 67. looking more for 60-65 at night at the very least.
    -probe hydrometer... Get the govee brand they are more accurate. Just keep them out of the direct spray path. One for near the top and one for mid cage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    -all live plants, I'm using pothos/philodendrons and a mass cane! also there is a polka dot plant on the bottom.
    -not exactly live plants but i want to note im using oak branches! All is great... Now the bottom reptibark has to go. This is a major impaction risk. And it will grow bacteria. Figure out a way to provide drainage.. If the bottom is solid. Drill a hole through it into whatever it is sitting on and put in a drain pipe with a bucket below to collect water. You can get plastic washing machine trays as well. May need to wet vac the bottom if water sits there. But you can not have bark.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
    -western US

-not too many concerns I just want to know if there are any other parts of my care that needs to be addressed, I'm a little concerned that he likes to hang out on the bottom for a while? He will go to bask for a while and then go to the bottom and scratch at the door? I sort of want to know why he's doing that. How long has he been in this cage? It could be he is getting used to it. I find that even males that are in a perfectly set up cage want to get out and explore. I think it is more hormonal and wanting more space then we give them.

@chamalam

See my feedback in bold. :)

Chameleon Info:

-variety of bugs including banded crickets, hornworms (treat), silkworms, discoid roaches, BSFL, waxworms (treat), mealworms (treat); I feed 4-5 feeders Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; I gut load with yams and bug burger... This is fine. he looks more on the slender side.
    -rep-cal calcium without D3 every feeding and then reptivite with D3 on the 1st and 15th of every month perfect
    -I use a pressure mister to hand mist for 2 minutes 30 minutes before and after lights turn on/off, and then I have a reptifogger that goes on after I mist after the lights go off, and I have seen him drinking good. Make sure your cage temps are already below 67 at night when you use the fogger.
    -Brown and keeps its shape with off-white/yellow urates, never has been tested for parasites... This is fine as long as the urate is at least 50% white. Should he have loose bowels get a fecal run.
    -none

Cage Info:
    -D.I.Y screen cage, 2' x 2' x 4' Great
    -basking to cage floor: my therm measure broke so I have been putting my hand under to make sure it's not too hot but I would guess 85-70f ranges Get a temp gauge with probe for the actual basking spot... Need to know what this is... should be 80-85max.
    -therm currently broken, any affordable recommendations are appreciated.
    -daytime: 20-40% This is within limits.
    -nighttime 30-50% This is as well, Could be higher but only if temps are below 67. looking more for 60-65 at night at the very least.
    -probe hydrometer... Get the govee brand they are more accurate. Just keep them out of the direct spray path. One for near the top and one for mid cage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    -not exactly live plants but i want to note im using oak branches! All is great... Now the bottom reptibark has to go. This is a major impaction risk. And it will grow bacteria. Figure out a way to provide drainage.. If the bottom is solid. Drill a hole through it into whatever it is sitting on and put in a drain pipe with a bucket below to collect water. You can get plastic washing machine trays as well. May need to wet vac the bottom if water sits there. But you can not have bark.
    -western US

-not too many concerns I just want to know if there are any other parts of my care that needs to be addressed, I'm a little concerned that he likes to hang out on the bottom for a while? He will go to bask for a while and then go to the bottom and scratch at the door? I sort of want to know why he's doing that. How long has he been in this cage? It could be he is getting used to it. I find that even males that are in a perfectly set up cage want to get out and explore. I think it is more hormonal and wanting more space then we give them.
Thank you. I currently dont have anything to drill drainage holes so I might go bioactive? Is that reccomended?

Thank you. I currently dont have anything to drill drainage holes so I might go bioactive? Is that reccomended?
So you can... But make sure you have a lot of leaf litter down. Veileds like to pick off all the CUC and will sometimes go for the dirt as well. This blog will give you good info on setting this uphttps://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/blog/bio-active-vivaria.40647/

So you can... But make sure you have a lot of leaf litter down. Veileds like to pick off all the CUC and will sometimes go for the dirt as well. This blog will give you good info on setting this uphttps://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/blog/bio-active-vivaria.40647/
What would work as a could substrate holder for it? I have a D.I.Y cage so i can really use the substrate bins zoo med has right?

What would work as a could substrate holder for it? I have a D.I.Y cage so i can really use the substrate bins zoo med has right?
The substrate bins that zoo med makes are not deep enough. You would have to look at either retrofitting yours or buying a cloth planting bag that fits snug or a plastic bin you could drop in that fits snug.

Back
Top Bottom