Up for discussion

CharlieCharmingo

Avid Member
Hey guys so this has been on my mind lately. I remember when I first got into the business of loving (obsessing) over chameleons I remember I did a lot of research. One of the things that stuck out to me the most was patterns. I read a lot about how the clothes that you wear really effect the chameleons. I read that someone's friend had dyed their hair red and their chameleons went bananas over it. A lot of information I received was to usually wear simple colors when approaching your chameleon like white or gray. Because colors explain mood for chameleons. I believed this to be true of course. With my first chameleons I always wore this one shirt every time I dealt with him. But then one day he pooped on that shirt so I took it off to reveal my regular patterned shirt. He didn't have a negative reaction. I thought this to be very interesting. My hair was red at the time he did behave badly too that either. Only thing he ever had a problem with was nail polish.
Moving on to Tony, he used to puff up at everything I wore if it was too bright or to colorful, too many patterns etc. We share a room (lol) so I noticed he would only behave like this when I would change in the bathroom. Whenever I would change in the room with him and he could see me actually putting on whatever it was I was putting on he would be fine it not mattering what color, pattern, etc. it was as long as he see me do it he wouldn't puff up at all. Now I'm not saying he's perfect or anything. There is still a sweater and vest he'd rather me not wear but I noticed he won't puff up at them if he sees me dealing with them before putting them on versus leaving looking one way and coming back looking the other. So I guess I'm curious as to what anyone thinks about that? Do you think in this particular situation it's more about face recognition then it is determining mood? Or do you think it's still mood, but like how a chameleon will change colors quickly to tell you how it feels Tony feels better to see me "gradually changing color(mood)" versus suddenly being in whatever mood (color) I am in? I don't know. I just thought it was interesting. Feel free to respond or ridicule me ha.ha.

My Chams seem to hate Nebraska football game day. I put on my Big Red sweatshirt and they seem to get an attitude when I'm close to them. It hurts a little but I forgive them HaHa . I have 2 daughters attending UNL 2016
We lost last night :(
Dave

In my opinion chameleons have a wider variety of individual personalities than any other reptile I have ever dealt with, which is why I love caring for them so much, it is never the same. And this makes them far more intelligent than I think we give them credit for.

In my opinion chameleons have a wider variety of individual personalities than any other reptile I have ever dealt with, which is why I love caring for them so much, it is never the same. And this makes them far more intelligent than I think we give them credit for.
Truth to that

Amen! I only have experience with my 2, but they have such different personalities. The iguanas I had were the same way. I had a huge male and he was the funniest and most evil creature that I have ever known at the same time. And I had a female for 12 years that was trained like a dog, she was so smart.

That's true! I swear sometimes Tony gives me this look that says so many things at once. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's smarter than me.

Amen! I only have experience with my 2, but they have such different personalities. The iguanas I had were the same way. I had a huge male and he was the funniest and most evil creature that I have ever known at the same time. And I had a female for 12 years that was trained like a dog, she was so smart.

I feel the same way about my bearded dragons. They've got their own amusing character traits too.

Back
Top Bottom