Unhappy Baby Jacksons

jodeoh60

Christmas eve surprise---10 babies showed up in our screen cage after we noted Mom was fat. We've successfully done this before and were called "breeders" by the local herp shop who took our previous litters. My question is why do the babies thrash about when we water them? No matter which litter it was, room temp spring water or tap water, the babies seem to get angry, with dewlaps extended, color change to dark, but soon settle down and enjoy the shower. Adults do it too but not so dramatic. Other than their brief unhappiness, they're all fat and feeding well.

BTW---if you're near Bucks Co, PA we are offering these babies free to a good home of experienced chameleon lovers when they're ready in about three months. Leave a message if interested. Thanks!!

I might be interested, im about 3 hours away.

and i think that the thrashing is a jacksons thing,

Funny thing is our "cable guy" was out to install a new line, saw the cages and is the first to adopt some babies, as he's an experienced herper.

Oh heck over the past 20 years when we were getting fresh, fat and sassy wild-caught moms from Hawaii, the most we ever had was a dozen babies at once. I've heard of big litters but it must just be urban legend. My kids were thrilled--you'd think girls would be skittish, but all their teenage friends come over to hold, photo and gawk at the, as they say CHAMM--Leons. It's pretty funny, but the teens are forbidden to adopt from us because these are high-maintenance animals and we don't trust the girls not to kill them.

Since there's ten and they were born on Christmas eve we named them after the reindeer----Juno, Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid, and Donner and Blitzen, plus Olive the other reindeer. Clever, eh?

Wow ... you can tell I worked all night . I was trying to figure out who Juno and Oliver were ... then I thought about it , re-read it , and was like " Duuuuuh " . I need a smack myself in the forehead smiley :rolleyes:

Oh heck over the past 20 years when we were getting fresh, fat and sassy wild-caught moms from Hawaii, the most we ever had was a dozen babies at once. I've heard of big litters but it must just be urban legend. My kids were thrilled--you'd think girls would be skittish, but all their teenage friends come over to hold, photo and gawk at the, as they say CHAMM--Leons. It's pretty funny, but the teens are forbidden to adopt from us because these are high-maintenance animals and we don't trust the girls not to kill them.

Since there's ten and they were born on Christmas eve we named them after the reindeer----Juno, Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid, and Donner and Blitzen, plus Olive the other reindeer. Clever, eh?

aww very clever..... I would drive that far for a baby jackson!

haha i love the names.
and I def want a male. so when thye are ready, save one...
As a question, how far would you be willing to drive? just curious if youd meet halfway or soemthing.

not really.
Ive only heard of a female ever having at max 15 babies.

hmm, guess I need to check my sources! funny cuz that one fat kid from hawaii (that kept trying to mate his jacksons even though she was already "pregyos") had over 20 in that clutch. most of them didn't survive :(

hmm, guess I need to check my sources! funny cuz that one fat kid from hawaii (that kept trying to mate his jacksons even though she was already "pregyos") had over 20 in that clutch. most of them didn't survive :(

probably because she wasnt being cared for properly.
if they have more than 15 it would take a tole on her and the babies.

Our survival rate for Jackson babies is 99.99%. What the heck are these other people doing wrong? The three most important things are 1) hydrate 2)hydrate 3) hydrate. The guy from Hawaii taught us to put the whole family (lizards, not humans) in a dripping shower or under a misting hose outside all night if possible. Success!! Plus, mom got dripped all day after her delivery. We'll also leave 'em outside as low as 40F, as the nighttime cooling extends their lifespan. My wife says 50F, but I'll go as low as 40F. In winter our cool basement has lights over the cages that then drop by a good 10F at night. The adult lizards are brilliant green and happy as clams.

haha i love the names.
and I def want a male. so when thye are ready, save one...
As a question, how far would you be willing to drive? just curious if youd meet halfway or soemthing.

Hey I provide the lizards, you provide the driving. We'll even feed you lunch.

Back
Top Bottom