New baby veiled :)

longlostlotrelf

Hey guys...I've been around here for awhile but disappeared. I had a Senegal Chameleon named Pascal a few years ago. She lived to be 2 1/2 and passed away sadly. I still don't know what she died from she was fine the night before I woke up in the morning and she was gone. I went for some time without one and then became a familiar with a wonderful store that opened up not too far from me called 'Dart Frogs to Dogs' the man who runs it breeds bearded dragons, leather backs and all and veiled chameleons. The baby chams are $50.00 amazingly priced and they are all amazingly healthy!

I bought an extra large repti-breeze cage and was waiting for the baby's to go on sale he keeps them awhile until he feels they are okay to go home. Then I wound up rescuing an iguana from someone who "Didn't know how big they got" I had him for awhile and my hopes of putting the baby chameleon in faded. Recently I rehomed the iguana with my best friend. He is much better at dealing with him and the iguana has always liked him more than it likes me. So my hopes and dreams of chameleon glory were back!

Today I went and picked up my new buddy after carefully eyeing them all up (Almost as much as they were staring at me!) I got a male veiled chameleon.
I've always wanted a panther but figured I might as well keep it within my price range haha. He is in his extra large reptibreeze which I'm starting to furnish...right now he's got a wonderful bird perch that extends all the way across the cage with some plants that extend off of it (fake ones for now) I live in PA and we've had a harsh winter in the spring i'll be headed to nurseries to buy some ficus and other things for him to party on.

He has a 100 watt powersun bulb that he seems to be in love with. I have tried my luck with the long strip UVB bulbs but never had luck I never felt like they were getting enough. I've always had great luck with power suns with all my reptiles and so far the baby is loving it. He just had a large meal today before he came home so I'm waiting until I go to work tomorrow (at PetSmart) to buy some crickets for him.

Another thing that amazes me is how friendly he is. The shop he was at ...the guy socializes them a lot. I am letting him have days and days of rest right now to get used to his new home. But he doesn't puff up or get mad or anything if he sees hands in the cage. My senegal would get so angry, he is so chill about everything. I'm glad I got him :) Now to think of a name for the dude....anyway it's great to be back :D

I guess my biggest question is what do you use to hang up vines and things in the screen cages? I see all these wonderful things that only come with suction cups and the vines just come in a roll....I don't know what to use to attach them it makes me sad. I used twisty ties on my seneglas stuff but I never felt like they held well enough. Any input would be great :D right now the bird perch is being held in place by paper clips that are large enough to hold it so it won't move and be secure on the screen. There is no way for him to hurt himself on them as any points are outside the cage.

tube strips actually are better since they cover a larger area than a coil bulb, if that's what you're talking about.

Also, use fishing line to attach things to screen, or even thumbtacks (less reliable IMO).

I don't know if you know this, but your little guy will also love a good tree to climb on (ficuses are great).

Also, for babies, you'll want your temps around 80-85 at most. A 100 watt seems a bit much for a baby. I use 60 watt even for my adult veiled and he gets 90+ degrees.

Just another thing, mist frequently, never use substrate, and be wary of illness symptoms.

Check your temps and make sure they are around 80-85 and you'll be ok.

:) welcome back into the world of chams.

Thanks Im aware and dont use subtrate with any of my reptiles. I had a chameleon before this one :)
thanks for the tips i think id try fishing line before thumb tacks :)

i dont use the spiral uvbs and the tube light just seemed like it barely did anything. I will look into less of a wattage it seemed to be the best for the size of the cage and combines both uvb and heat at the same time.

Congratulations for your little veiled! I love them!:D
I used very small wire on the screen cage!

Back
Top Bottom