My Jackson died this morning :(

dam718

Hi guys,

I had lurked around these forums in the past, but mostly took advice from our reptile vet and LPS on how to care for our Jackson...

Our Jackson, Kiwi, was a fairly large female... She was 12" from mouth to tip of her tail when extended. Unfortunately, we have no idea how old she was. We had her for approximately 18 months. Kept her in a screen cage with a constant water drip from a filtered reservoir. Kept meticulous care of her habitat with regard to cleanliness. We fed her calcium coated crickets. Used a basking lamp with a temp in the basking area around 95F, and coolest point around 75-80F. Lights out at night...

She's had a few complications over the time we've had her... About 9 months after we got her, she had a litter of little babies, that was unexpected!

A couple of months later it seemed as though her rear right leg had become paralyzed. That's when we took her to the vet for the first time... He also found a small abscess on her front left foot which I didn't even notice.

Since then she developed several more abscesses, all of which we had tended to by the vet. One on her side, and one on the bottom of her left rear foot. Both of which, when aspirated had a thick, green discharge...

The past month has been very difficult... She developed some swelling over her head, just between her eyes, and had swelling around her eyes as well. We took her back to the vet, of course, and he administered a shot of antibiotic. She could only breathe with her mouth open. She had stopped eating as well so he gave us all the materials necessary to tube feed her, and administer a daily dosage of antibiotic. After a couple of weeks the swelling on the head and around the eyes had gone down, she was able to freely breathe again. We took her back in for a check up this past Monday and everything was on the up and up... Most of the abscesses were gone, but she was losing weight.

She hadn't opened her eyes in a couple of days... So we got some more antibiotic (3 different types this time administered in different schedules to handle a broad spectrum of bacteria which was found after studying a sample of the discharge from the swelling on her head) and some more supplement to feed her.

This morning we got her out of her habitat to feed her, and she seemed alright... She's been very sluggish, and weak for the past few months so that was expected. We administered the tube feeding, and afterwards she stood up, opened her eyes as if to say goodbye one last time, took a deep breath and died right in my wifes hands...

We've been devastated... I consider myself as much a man as any other, but we've been crying all day... We laid her to rest and made a nice little headstone out of ceramic to memorialize her. Poor little girl...

We tried so hard to get her better... Spared no expense

It was her time to go... I know she had a good, long life, just not sure how long... I just don't know if her weakening immune system was due to simple old age, or if we did something to cause it...

I wanted to become a member of the forums now, because I wanted to share our story, even though it has an awful ending... Because I would like to try again, and do everything right this time... I want to make sure I pass everything through the knowledgeable patrons of this forum and see 1) where I may have gone wrong, 2) what I can do to improve my husbandry

So, I'd appreciate it if you guys that have been doing this a while ask me every question you can think of, and I'll honestly answer them all...

I'd love to get another Jackson, maybe a male this time, but I want him to live a long and quality life!

RIP - Kiwi

Kiwi_zps72fb4989.jpg

A couple of months after we got her. Miss you little girl!

So sorry to hear about kiwi, that's a very sad story :(

I have had chams die too, I know how you feel.
I am even nursing a sick panther now.

One thing I noticed, your high basking temp of 95F is way too high for a
jacksons, it's even too high for any cham, but jax like it cooler as they
are montane species.

I think you should get another cham, a male this time, and a young one from
a good breeder with high reputation.
It will make you and your wife feel better having a new little one to care for.

Yes, Jackson's require cooler temps and higher humidity. The basking temp I keep my Jackson's at is around 83-84 degrees. I try to keep the ambient temperature around 68-70. She may have had her mouth open due to the high temps

Sorry for your loss. I too have a female Jackson named Kiwi. Mine also came to me gravid, although I have only had mine about six weeks. You should defiantly get another!

So sorry for your loss - I have a male Jackson and I can't image what it would be like without him :( he is about two years old so I'm hoping I have another few years left with him!

Sorry for the devastating loss. Don't give up the passion. We all have had set backs. You are not alone. We're all here for you.

Thank you all for the well wishes...

It's took a bit of time, but I think we're ready to move ahead...

I'll be starting a new thread to inquire about keeping a new baby boy Jackson. We haven't gotten a new little one yet, just wanted to make sure we have all our ducks in a row before we head down this path again.

Again, thank you all... You're sentiments have helped

I didnt even notice your location, I use to live Wahiwa when I was 21, across from scholfield at mccomb gate in those villas next to the tattoo shop. I use to eat at tasty bbq all the time. I miss HI, good times. But Ewa Beach is nice. Much nicer than Wahiwa lol But considering I was young and broke, it had to make due. Hope your new baby jackson does well.

Very cool! :) Yes, we've been fortunate to be able to live here as long as we have...

Obviously Jackson's here in Hawaii are very abundant, and unfortunately hardly any of them are from breeders because the feral community is considered a "pest" out here.

I know the exact place where you lived, we have some family friends that live in the same place. :)

Kiwi demise of your Jackson's

I feel for you, I know how much you can get attached to these animals; almost like a dog or cat. It appears by your post you did everything in your powers to bring her back. Chams are the most fragile of animals to keep and that's one of the reasons we have a forum like this. I heard something similar happen to a Jackson's on you-tube about a female Jackson's that died shortly after giving birth. Perhaps something like that happened to yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OAfBSSxGBo
He shows you a bunch in his collection, but only about 8 min in he tells you about his experience with Jackson's. Pretty amazing they give live birth.

George

Back
Top Bottom