Ugggggghhhh!!!!!

lilblack94gt

So, my veiled is only 9-10 months old. And she is gravid for the first time. I have a laybox in with a soil/sand mixture. I have been keeping it moist for her. I took her to the vet about a month ago because she was starting to show the signs of MDB. Vet said it was due to the abnormally large quantity of eggs that she has inside her. Vet estimated from an xray that there are about 40-50 eggs.

My question is this, I have been giving her liquid calcium glubonate daily as per the vets instructions, and force feeding her carnivore care and water as she isn't eating or drinking. How long does it take a gravid female before she lays????

As this is my first Cham, and first round with a gravid reptile (all my others are male) I am starting to freak out. I have tried giving her warm water baths, but all that seems to do is make her poop..... Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shes probably getting ready to lay. they normally stop eating for several days before they lay. That is very normal dont force her to eat or drink cause that will only cause her stress. Give her some privacy and wait.
hope that helps and good luck.:)
p.s. they can lay eggs as quick as 30 days

Should I be worried that its been about a month and a half to two months since she started showing her gravid colors and hasn't laid the eggs yet? When do I start worrying about her being egg bound?

I am especially worried about her since she has MBD from being gravid. She cant even climb so I have he restricted down to the bottom 1 foot of her cage. I have been giving her the calcium glubonate daily, but unless i force feed her and give her water, she hasnt been eating and drinking on her own. She wont even hunt when put in a container with crix...... And it has been a month or more since I have had to force feed her.

Well to start off, it's not smart to allow a veiled to become gravid when she's under a year old, it can kill them very easily due to not being fully mature. BUT since there's no changing that point, all you can do is provide the best enviroment and nutrition to the female. The typical gestation period is 1-2months, mine usually takes about 2 months. Make sure she has plenty of water everyday, and provide food for her, but stop force feeding her. Provide a laying bin for her 24hrs a day, but don't bother her until she's laid the eggs and left the nest after covering up the eggs thoroughly. Then provide a water very often, liquid calcium, and high quality feeders. She will be in rough shape after laying the eggs.

Good luck,
Leland

I would also note that you probably gave her way too much food. After she lays, 4 large crickets every other day. That will keeper her from laying anther clutch.
But right now the focus is laying those eggs. Put her in a huge tub full of dirt with nothing else in it. Leave her alone for several days. You can just peek to see if she's digging. If nothing happens after a week, and assuming its now 2 months and she's not eating, then take her to the vet.
I hope your worries are just for being your first time and nothing else. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom