Two interesting reads

The very reason I gave up breeding and keeping: Burmese Pythons, Gaboon Vipers, Black & White Cobras, Water Moccasins, Copperheads, and various Rattlesnakes. It is very hard to die from a chameleon bite. Towards the end, I became extremely paranoid in keeping them. Awaking all hours of night to check no one had escaped. Refused to succomb to Darwin's Theory (stupid dies first).

Last edited:
Junglefries...Stupid dies first?? Never heard that one!

First reptile that ever bit me was a snake and it didn't hurt nearly as much as the bite from the prehensile tailed skink. Worst bruising from a reptile bite was a Cuban Knight Anole and only stitches were from an iguana that did NOT bite me but that I drew my finger against the teeth of.

Lathis...me, cool???...highly doubt that! But thanks!

Junglefries...Stupid dies first?? Never heard that one!

First reptile that ever bit me was a snake and it didn't hurt nearly as much as the bite from the prehensile tailed skink. Worst bruising from a reptile bite was a Cuban Knight Anole and only stitches were from an iguana that did NOT bite me but that I drew my finger against the teeth of.

Lathis...me, cool???...highly doubt that! But thanks!

Well, technically the weak link.... which stupid is included in. Kinda like 'what's the last thing the redneck said? Hey, watch this.' :eek:

I work with prairie and diamond back rattlesnakes, and ohhhh boy am I paranoid! I mean, a prairie really isn't going to do much and we have antivenin on-hand 24/7 but still, no one wants to go through that.

They are research animals, though, and sometimes the grad students are not quite as careful as the staff are. We have had an "escape incident" in the past. Pretty much had a heart attack, found the snake, wrangled the very upset snake back into it's enclosure, then went up one side and down the other of the poor stupid grad student, his PI, HIS boss, and our facility manager for good measure. Now I am even more paranoid than before.

I work with prairie and diamond back rattlesnakes, and ohhhh boy am I paranoid! I mean, a prairie really isn't going to do much and we have antivenin on-hand 24/7 but still, no one wants to go through that.

They are research animals, though, and sometimes the grad students are not quite as careful as the staff are. We have had an "escape incident" in the past. Pretty much had a heart attack, found the snake, wrangled the very upset snake back into it's enclosure, then went up one side and down the other of the poor stupid grad student, his PI, HIS boss, and our facility manager for good measure. Now I am even more paranoid than before.

I checked my shoes, looked on the floor from bed, freaked out in tub, freakin out when girlfriend moved in bed at night.... you name it. I believe it is the point which I got HBP. The snakes were just so cheap in the 80's, minus the Gaboons ($1600). Black and White Cobra babies were $15 each from Florida. I would sell them and the buyers always returned them down the road. Mostly navy customers. They either freaked out or wives made them give them back. So, I constantly got to resell snakes over and over. The hardest part was getting buyers to sign waivers. Yes, you are right: rattlesnakes are MEAN! We have the Canebreaks, which are notoriously ferocious. I always kept adult kingsnakes as my WMD against escapees. Never had one get out though. The best poisonous ones were Water Moccasins. Watching the babies fish (like a lure) with their little green tails, was just awe inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom