Trying to breed

my advice is that you wait a couple more years, you need money for the girl chamele, you need money for the eggs to incubate, you need money to care for the babies until they are big enough to sell

it doesnt cost just 300 dollars
then how much it cost?

its costs alot more so save up
ok

right now save up and research more
i dont know very much of english i am not from canada or USA

and learn everything you need to know
i dont know very much of english i am not from canada or USA(but i am live ing in canada right know

and dont be shy to ask questions
ok

thats why the forums was made

i know its ecxiting to breed and have babies but its alot of responsibility

that you want to be ready and prepared.....you do not want the female chameleon to die or the babies to die because of your mistake to not research more.

at least for me please wait

ok thank you

if you are 13 years old, how come you do not type correctly in complete sentences???

you seem younger than 13 based on your writing

i am 13 but i cant speak or wright english very good

i am 13 but i cant speak or wright english very good

forgive me, i keep forgetting about that

i'm glad you are really trying hard to do things right before doing anything

i wish you goodluck:)

how long did u had chameleon for??

ive had chameleons since i was 12 (my first was a wc senegal) when i was 15 i bred my first jacksons..i have breeding several different species since i was 17..now im into breeding just panthers i am now 30 years old...it all takes time..if i could go back and change anything..i would have waited longer to have more sucsesses on my attempts..

ive had chameleons since i was 12 (my first was a wc senegal) when i was 15 i bred my first jacksons..i have breeding several different species since i was 17..now im into breeding just panthers i am now 30 years old...it all takes time..if i could go back and change anything..i would have waited longer to have more sucsesses on my attempts..

dont you go to work??
and what is wc??(my first was a wc senegal)

if you have a werners chameleon..male or female..i would just try and locate the opposite sexed one online..as for the carpet chameleons..they are also not a very easy species to keep..i would reccomend selling them to an experienced keeper of carpet chameleons, and use that money to purchase more equipment for future breeding..when a male or female is available for you later you will be ready to breed..

Were we live there is almost a zero % chance of finding a Werner's. I have a female and was looking for a male for her, but with no luck. Any
to be found would be coming in with a bunch of wild caughts.

Incidentally, I live near the OP, but I have decided not to breed my female, so that pairing is out of the question. She had babies last year and they all died, and I am not going to risk her health (I bought her gravid). The deaths of those babies was extremely hard for me, and caring for them wasn't easy either. I'll leave the breeding to the experts. I'm 41 years old -- I don't need to see the wonders of nature.

not my carpet chameleon.
my werner chameleon i am trying to breed because some one said they are easy breeder

Well getting them to breed might be easy (don't know where you heard that from though), but do you know how hard it is to look after babies? My female had babies last year and none of them survived. I spoke to some VERY knowledgeable folks here, and even with their help, none made it. I think she had 13 in total. It was not fun, and certainly not something I am going to do again.

I know I'm going to sound like an old bag, but I really think you should hold off on breeding. How many species are you keeping already -- 3 or 4? Easy does it! Just enjoy them! I enjoy mine a lot! Chameleons are fascinating creatures.

You may just be over-doing it. Its hard for me to keep track of my 4 chameleons and some babies, even now during the summer when I had all the time in the world. I cant imagine how a 13 year old (I have a 13 year old cousin to compare to) can do the same.

Hold off breeding until you have more knowledge of what you are doing. It is NOT easy, and trust me.. you will spend much more than $300 on that.

I'm at home all day, and my chameleons keep my busy! Those babies kept me hopping too, with all the feeding and misting and cleaning. Mine weren't eating, so that was a problem. Their temperatures and humidity have to be very carefully controlled too; will you be able to do that in your apartment? It was very difficult for me, and I have a cool basement and had different areas outside. Baby bins take up a whole lot of room, as do storing many sizes of feeders. Plus, you'll still have your adults to deal with. Who will look after the babies when you go to school? Do you have automatic misters?

Also, before you consider breeding, realize how difficult it is to get fruit flies and/or pinheads here. I have pygmies and I can tell you I have a heck of a time even with what they eat. Sometimes the crickets come too big, sometimes they come dead, or not at all. Sure, you could breed your own fruit flies, but what if your babies don't want to eat them? What if your cultures crash? Where do you go? NO ONE supplies these here unless they are special ordered, and that generally takes a week and a half (sometimes longer). Extreme heat or cold, and you don't get your feeders. All of these feeder issues have happened to me, and I am a person who plans ahead. Stuff happens, and your best laid plans can go down the hole pretty quickly. For larger adult chams you can always go to Petland and find *something*, even if it's meal worms. Babies (and little chams) eat little things, and they eat often. They CANNOT go without food for a week, and you can't just pop a worm in there and hope for the best.

So many things to consider, and I'm not even putting $$ into the equation.

I really hope you wait. This breeding thing can get you way in over your head, and the only ones that will suffer will be the animals.

wasent is cute ?
and thank you for your imfo lisa
and dosent werner chameleon have baby? and why did they die?
and where is your male?

dont you go to work??
and what is wc??(my first was a wc senegal)

"wc" means wild caught..little things like that is going to make this a nightmare for you..i would studdy up on chameleons in general for a few years then give it a try, and still you may find it very expensive (i spent over $1000.00 on just breeding a pair of jacksons back in the day (set ups, food, ect ..all come into play for cost)..

yes i work..when i was 13 i worked at my first petshop(owned by a friend, under the table..no child labor), by 17 i worked at partycity (shut up..lol) and then at 20 became a u.a.v. pilot..i work, but dont have your typical 9-5 kinda job..although, i have been applying at a local shop, it would be fun to spend some time there with all the lizards..

You can't make the chameleons breed. The female has to be receptive...if you put her with the male and she isn't she will attack the male if he comes close enough.

What KarmaChameleon1337 said is what you need to do.

BTW I can't see two pictures.

I usually find the male carpets attacking my females when the female is not in condition to breed, I have also read that too. Guess it all depends because I have a really aggressive female as well that wont let anything around. Very territorial little things. I call them little monsters :D I do keep 2 pairs in all their own enclosures.

I usually find the male carpets attacking my females when the female is not in condition to breed, I have also read that too. Guess it all depends because I have a really aggressive female as well that wont let anything around. Very territorial little things. I call them little monsters :D

yeah the little pair i had back in 2001..the female was mean as all hell..the male would hand feed, and drink from me , female would rush the cage in evilness (kinda like that annoying, brave little chiuaua that will chase down dogs 10 times its size, lol)..but man was she colorful when she was gravid..and wow did she produce some lil jelly beans (i dont do the pygmie, but damn they must have some micro eggs!!)

"wc" means wild caught..little things like that is going to make this a nightmare for you..i would studdy up on chameleons in general for a few years then give it a try, and still you may find it very expensive (i spent over $1000.00 on just breeding a pair of jacksons back in the day (set ups, food, ect ..all come into play for cost)..

yes i work..when i was 13 i worked at my first petshop(owned by a friend, under the table..no child labor), by 17 i worked at partycity (shut up..lol) and then at 20 became a u.a.v. pilot..i work, but dont have your typical 9-5 kinda job..although, i have been applying at a local shop, it would be fun to spend some time there with all the lizards..

wow 1000.00 omg that is alot of money.
i dont think 13 is not alowed at work(pet shop)

wasent is cute ?
and thank you for your imfo lisa
and dosent werner chameleon have baby? and why did they die?
and where is your male?

My werner's did have babies -- there were 14 of them. I don't know why they died. That's the thing. If I knew what I did wrong (if anything) I would have bred her again, had I been able to find a male. I heard that werner's babies often have a high mortality rate. I don't know if that is true for all live bearers.

I never had a male. She was wild caught and was gravid when I bought her.

I usually find the male carpets attacking my females when the female is not in condition to breed, I have also read that too. Guess it all depends because I have a really aggressive female as well that wont let anything around. Very territorial little things. I call them little monsters :D I do keep 2 pairs in all their own enclosures.

me too i keep them in same cage
and when male get close to female she always bit male

Do you keep them together now? If so, you should separate them. The constant stress will lead to poor health and earlier death, and they may not breed.

Back
Top Bottom