Trioceros deremensis UVB lighting.

Livingstons Lizards

Established Member
Hello,
I have a question as I have been concerned over my UVB choice for my Trioceros deremensis. I have my adult male in an 18x24x36 Exo Terra with a 24" Arcadia 12% T8. From what I could find, they occur at rather high elevation where the UVB would be higher. There is about a 12" space between the basking branches and the bulb.

Attachments

• 20210130_235700.jpg
    20210130_235700.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 97
Hello,
I have a question as I have been concerned over my UVB choice for my Trioceros deremensis. I have my adult male in an 18x24x36 Exo Terra with a 24" Arcadia 12% T8. From what I could find, they occur at rather high elevation where the UVB would be higher. There is about a 12" space between the basking branches and the bulb.
Deremensis are very cool. I have zero experience with them, hopefully some others who’ve cared for them before can jump in.

I did some quick digging and found a paper discussing ecology of T deremensis and others that I hope is helpful
http://herpconbio.org/Volume_6/Issue_3/Patrick_etal_2011.pdf
I’ve also heard accounts from experienced keepers like Mario Jungmann that he keeps his montanes at higher UVI levels
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/127-uvb-for-montane-chameleons/

Good luck with your cham. They are awesome

Do you have access to a uvb meter?
I would check with the breeder you purchased from. Deremensis are not common, and I'm sure whoever sold you the cham has its best interest at heart, and would be willing to provide any info they can.
Is the fixture on top of the cage?
A T8 will not have the same output as a T5. That said, I think it is recommended a T5 (arcafia 12%) be mounted about a foot over the top of the cage to give a uvb reading of 3 six inches below the top inside the cage.
Good luck with the guy. From what I remember, they can be tricky to keep long term. (? I think they need a period of no food?)

They came from Snakes at Sunset. They were European CB imports. I think I'm going to upgrade to a T5 12%. Would you say that the T8 12% has a similar output to the T5 6%. Im using just a standard aquarium hood that retrofitted with a reflective piece of aluminum.

From what I understand T8 12% is going to be similar to a T5 6% in penetration, but maybe slightly less
A T5 12% will definitely allow you to dial in safe, but higher UVI for your cham with the guidance of your solarmeter
070BE110-F7E1-4857-AEDA-CD0A900474A2.jpeg

Does anyone know where I can get a UVB meter at a decent price. Tempted to try a 14% T5 given he likes to basking in the morning and the spend the afternoon in the bushes. Has anyone tested the Exo Terra 150 Compact florescent. My juvenile female is in an 18x18x24 with a basking spot of ~3" and tends to rome mostly around between 3-8". I have used the 5.0 Zoo Med and the Arcadia 7% Shaddweller. My issue I've found is most lights are too powerful that close. When using the 7% she spent more time lower, I'm assuming due to the higher UV output.

I think all solar meters are sold at approximately the same price.

Have you listened to Episode 25 of the Chameleon Academy podcast? Bill Strand interviews Louis Wiedemann on Trioceros Deremensis. Give it a listen, you might get more info on them.

If you still have questions after this, you could contact Bill Strand. He's kept them before. And after all, his forum name is @DeremensisBlue.

Does anyone know where I can get a UVB meter at a decent price. Tempted to try a 14% T5 given he likes to basking in the morning and the spend the afternoon in the bushes. Has anyone tested the Exo Terra 150 Compact florescent. My juvenile female is in an 18x18x24 with a basking spot of ~3" and tends to rome mostly around between 3-8". I have used the 5.0 Zoo Med and the Arcadia 7% Shaddweller. My issue I've found is most lights are too powerful that close. When using the 7% she spent more time lower, I'm assuming due to the higher UV output.
I don't know if "uvb meter" (well, a good one anyway) and "decent price" can be used in the same sentence. :) Mendez is right, the price is pretty much the same across the board. I ended up on Amazon so I could get it sooner.
That said, it's probably some of the best money I've spent.

I don't know if "uvb meter" (well, a good one anyway) and "decent price" can be used in the same sentence. :) Mendez is right, the price is pretty much the same across the board. I ended up on Amazon so I could get it sooner.
That said, it's probably some of the best money I've spent.
Lol, thats a common thing I've found with keeping reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom