Trick for removing crickets?

CammieNLeno

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if you all had some tips for removing roaming crickets that need to be re-gutloaded or taken out for bedtime. My technique sucks, and i feel like I could be stressing my little guy out chasing crickets around each night. Im just kinda grabbing em with tweezers because I have big fat fingers and always kill em if i grab by hand.

If i put something like a toilet paper tube in a corner, would they all go hide there? Can anyone share some tips? What works for you guys?

I usually have a little tray of cricket gutload at the bottom of the lizard cage. They eat out of it and live a lot longer

how many crix are left over on average every night? you might want to try and put a few less crix in the cage if he is not eating all of them. you could also try what was said above and put some gut load in a little try and put it in the corner of the cage that way they can stay healthy.

how many crix are left over on average every night? you might want to try and put a few less crix in the cage if he is not eating all of them. you could also try what was said above and put some gut load in a little try and put it in the corner of the cage that way they can stay healthy.

Usually about 2-3. I cupfeed, but sometimes they get out, and USUALLY he gets em all, but i am slowly moving up in size on the crickets, and he doesnt get those as quick as the little guys. Last night i had 2 left, night before 1, etc.

I just dont want to risk him getting a bite from some of the larger crickets.

the crix are going to go where the heat is, esp at night, get a small heat source low in the cage, wait till they gather around and collect, or just leave the heat source overnight.

You can use a low watt bulb ect... to produce heat

i should have asked befor how old is your little buddy? and how many crix do you give him daly?

Hes a little over 2 months old. Currently devouring 10-15ish extra small crickets for breakfast, and another 5-10 at night, mixed in with 3-4 smalls. The last time I went to the petstore for crickets, I got the last of the extra smalls, and we thought that we would try out the smalls. I think they are borderline too large (I know the between the eyes rule of thumb) and there are 1-2 left at night.

i would cut back on how much you are feeding him .at 2 months he should be eating about 12 small crix a day. also feed only in the morning or early afternoon dont feed at night it is harder for them to digest there food at night befor they go to sleep. i hope this helps and if you have any other q's we are all always hear.

He eats at 7 am every morning as i get ready for work, and then 5 pm when I get home. He has about 2 hrs of basking to help digest before the auto timer shuts everything down for the night.

I don't think I am going to cut back really, as he consistently eating everything in the morning, and all the extra smalls in the evening. Once I consistently see extras I will reduce, but hes at a very important growing period right now and I want to make sure he gets all the nutrients he needs. Its just the 1-2 larger ones that I shouldn't even be feeding him yet I think.

I think overall im going to just toss out the smalls, and keep with the extra-smalls for another month, he is SOO borderline able to eat em, but its just a TAD too much still.

whatever works for you. as long as he is eating thats a good sign, but you dont want to feed him to much because it can cause him to grow to fast witch can lead to bone probs later down the road.

This is how you get rid of extra crickets. First when you see a glimpse pay attention to them, then when they are close enough focus both your eyes on them so you can determine the distance between you, stick your tongue out a tiny bit, and Bam!!! , Grab one with your hand :p

This is how you get rid of extra crickets. First when you see a glimpse pay attention to them, then when they are close enough focus both your eyes on them so you can determine the distance between you, stick your tongue out a tiny bit, and Bam!!! , Grab one with your hand :p

HAHA- ya got me there with the hand.. i was like, hrmmm this might get interesting!

whatever works for you. as long as he is eating thats a good sign, but you dont want to feed him to much because it can cause him to grow to fast witch can lead to bone probs later down the road.

Thanks man, I completely understand where you are coming from and the point you are trying to make, so i appreciate that. I will probably re-work my supplementation and feeding schedules/amounts in about 2-3 months from now. Right now hes just doing so well and such a huge appetite, im going to take advantage of it while I can :)

There are insect/spider traps called "blueboards" that have adhesive surface for trapping insects... They are available at home depot. You can get one, cut it to a small size, put it at the bottom of the enclosure and cover it so that your cham won't come in contact with it, but the crickets will.. In the morning you can just pull it out and the crix will be stuck to it.

However, i wouldn't worry about a few loose crickets... I doubt you will ever have any issues. If you want to ensure that the cricket never takes a bite out of sven you can put a piece of fruit or veggie in there for the extra crickets so they are well-fed and less likely to take a bite of him. Hopefully he usually sleeps on the branches and won't often have crickets crawling on him at night too much.

What you're describing is really nothing to worry about i don't think. I certainly wouldn't feed him less than he'll eat as was previously suggested. I dissagree with the weak bone theory, provided he has adequate calcium and d3 supplementation (and uvb lighting of course)... especially for males who's bones won't be taxed of calcium for egg production like those of a female...

I wouldn't sweat it and would just make an effort to minimize the leftover crix as much as you can.

There are insect/spider traps called "blueboards" that have adhesive surface for trapping insects... They are available at home depot. You can get one, cut it to a small size, put it at the bottom of the enclosure and cover it so that your cham won't come in contact with it, but the crickets will.. In the morning you can just pull it out and the crix will be stuck to it.

However, i wouldn't worry about a few loose crickets... I doubt you will ever have any issues. If you want to ensure that the cricket never takes a bite out of sven you can put a piece of fruit or veggie in there for the extra crickets so they are well-fed and less likely to take a bite of him. Hopefully he usually sleeps on the branches and won't often have crickets crawling on him at night too much.

What you're describing is really nothing to worry about i don't think. I certainly wouldn't feed him less than he'll eat as was previously suggested. I dissagree with the weak bone theory, provided he has adequate calcium and d3 supplementation (and uvb lighting of course)... especially for males who's bones won't be taxed of calcium for egg production like those of a female...

I wouldn't sweat it and would just make an effort to minimize the leftover crix as much as you can.

Thanks Joe - great suggestion! You know me and my paranoia with my little friend :eek:

I took his week 9 pics this weekend during my once a week cage cleaning, you can really start to see his nostril protrusion/slope starting to form on his head. Ill get those sent over to ya, hes doing great!

Well, just to chime in on the cricket collection techniques, I bought a toy at Wal-Greens called a bug-vac. It's like a little plastic gun with a cone on the end and a small fan motor that creates some suction. It runs on batteries and it's great for sucking up crickets. I generally never have to touch one. I suck them out of the cricket container and put them in the dusting container and let them out in the chams cages. I also chase around escapees in the house. Works great! They're only like $10. I wore one out and am working on my second.

IMG_0350.JPG

that looks like a fun little toy i think i will be on my way to the store in a bit to find one. crix beware the crix hunter is on his way!!!:rolleyes:

Well, just to chime in on the cricket collection techniques, I bought a toy at Wal-Greens called a bug-vac. It's like a little plastic gun with a cone on the end and a small fan motor that creates some suction. It runs on batteries and it's great for sucking up crickets. I generally never have to touch one. I suck them out of the cricket container and put them in the dusting container and let them out in the chams cages. I also chase around escapees in the house. Works great! They're only like $10. I wore one out and am working on my second.

View attachment 3616

OMG SWEET MAN! what a fantastic response, i think ill try to find one as well!

they also have those at target,and toys r us.
question for you guys. anyone know of a table that says about how many crickets at this age? and then move up at this age?
and how often you need to add supplements? and how often to offer other bugs?
i know i might be asking for alot here but thought i would ask.

Back
Top Bottom