Tree of choice

Hibiscus is much sturdier, and provides more cover.

It can also be used in gutload.

It takes a bit of light though.

Shefflera is my most hated chameleon keeping plant.

The most popular are Hibiscus, Schefflera/Dwarf Umbrella, Ficus and Pothos. I bought the ficus with my cham which really is great for cover. Yesterday I ran over to Walmart after I picked up crickets and I got a schefflera, pothos and a hibiscus (red heart I think) just to put in the room to up the humidity and also just to try out. The schefflera is pretty good cover too, but really it holds water the best I think. Hibiscus is cool because it's great cover, it's edible, the branches are strong and it looks great. My plan is to use it in my adult enclosure because it's pretty tall and it needs to fill in a bit. I think pothos is my least favorite. It's kinda something that you would use to replace some plastic vines not really as a main plant, but I do have to give it credit for being the most hardy. It's impossible to kill pothos.

So how do you keep those plants alive inside? I have my repitsun 5.0, and the plants don't like it...they all die. :( I don't have room to add yet another light, on top of the basking light. Can I use a stronger UV bulb?

This is all of the plants to get an idea of the general size, the cage and stand are about 5.5 ft tall together. The 3 outside the enclosure I got from Walmart and cleaned/repotted them. You can get them from Lowes, Home Depot or any local nursery you might have... or Walmart lol. The name of the plant is above the picture just to make it easy on you haha.

IMAG0469.jpg

Schefflera/Dwarf Umbrella

IMAG0467.jpg

Pothos

IMAG0462.jpg

Hibiscus (Red Heart I think it's called)

IMAG0461.jpg

Ficus in the enclosure

IMAG0465.jpg

Hibiscus is tough to keep alive in an indoor enclosure without some sort of grow light or rotating it outside occasionally. I'm with solid snake on the Umbrella plant I'm tired of killing them lol, pothos seems to be unkillable but its a plant and not a tree.

This is all of the plants to get an idea of the general size, the cage and stand are about 5.5 ft tall together. The 3 outside the enclosure I got from Walmart and cleaned/repotted them. You can get them from Lowes, Home Depot or any local nursery you might have... or Walmart lol. The name of the plant is above the picture just to make it easy on you haha.

View attachment 82602

Schefflera/Dwarf Umbrella

View attachment 82603

Pothos

View attachment 82604

Hibiscus (Red Heart I think it's called)

View attachment 82605

Ficus in the enclosure

View attachment 82606

Now I know what to look for! Lol ill use these pics as a reference when I go to Home Depot!

Hibiscus is much sturdier, and provides more cover.

It can also be used in gutload.

It takes a bit of light though.

Shefflera is my most hated chameleon keeping plant.

Why the hate for the schefflera? I have one in both of my enclosures, hibiscus outside..

Why the hate for the schefflera? I have one in both of my enclosures, hibiscus outside..

Hate is definitely the right word!

As to why, they over water easily, and while they provide a decent environment for a small or young chameleon, they cant support the weight of a larger, adult chameleon, and a sizable chameleon just isnt going to fit inside the foliage, at best they may scramble across the top of it.

One of the main reasons though, is the fact that they are just flat out ugly to look at.:p

Hate is definitely the right word!

As to why, they over water easily, and while they provide a decent environment for a small or young chameleon, they cant support the weight of a larger, adult chameleon, and a sizable chameleon just isnt going to fit inside the foliage, at best they may scramble across the top of it.

One of the main reasons though, is the fact that they are just flat out ugly to look at.:p

I haven't had any trouble with mine, as far as support goes, it is a bit wimpy, but with all of the vinage and cross limbs in my cages, it mainly serves as a leafy canopy to shade themselves when needed..

I'd much rather use a hibiscus because of their edibility but I just can't keep them alive inside... Got any tips for me? :)

I haven't had any trouble with mine, as far as support goes, it is a bit wimpy, but with all of the vinage and cross limbs in my cages, it mainly serves as a leafy canopy to shade themselves when needed..

I'd much rather use a hibiscus because of their edibility but I just can't keep them alive inside... Got any tips for me? :)

Yes.

Use two 18" 6500k bulbs on top of your enclosure. :)

You can also get a few extra hibiscus, and keep some outside, and rotate them every cage cleaning. ;)

I like pothos for leafy canopy type uses.

Yes.

Use two 18" 6500k bulbs on top of your enclosure. :)

You can also get a few extra hibiscus, and keep some outside, and rotate them every cage cleaning. ;)

I like pothos for leafy canopy type uses.

I have one 18" 6500k bulb, my cage is 48" tall... I'll add another and see how it fares... :) I also have a lg. pothos in the cage..
Thanks a lot,, Lisa

The most popular are Hibiscus, Schefflera/Dwarf Umbrella, Ficus and Pothos. I bought the ficus with my cham which really is great for cover. Yesterday I ran over to Walmart after I picked up crickets and I got a schefflera, pothos and a hibiscus (red heart I think) just to put in the room to up the humidity and also just to try out. The schefflera is pretty good cover too, but really it holds water the best I think. Hibiscus is cool because it's great cover, it's edible, the branches are strong and it looks great. My plan is to use it in my adult enclosure because it's pretty tall and it needs to fill in a bit. I think pothos is my least favorite. It's kinda something that you would use to replace some plastic vines not really as a main plant, but I do have to give it credit for being the most hardy. It's impossible to kill pothos.

My favorite TREE is Ficus alli (I think it's also called the lance-leaved Ficus). Then I add other bushy shrubs such as Pothos, Hibiscus, Schefflera to help fill out the cage.

Back
Top Bottom