Treating driftwood?

cswan19

So I found a really cool piece of driftwood on the beach and I took it home. Is it safe to put in my Cham cage? How can I treat it? I don't want to put it in my oven cause its really really dry and I'm afraid of a fire plus I heard it makes your house smell terrible! Could I put some kind if clear herp safe finish on it?

This is the piece.
It has lots of small holes in it
Really unique piece

A1D6D16A-1DB5-464D-B335-7C550C96E53E-48210-000006DB161AF8B3_zps5616ef08.jpg

A4D69E5B-68A3-40E8-9D78-A1AA2D8DCBB4-48210-000006DB0E3CAEA2_zps9f895d5c.jpg

boil it in water, to kill off anything on it and remove some of the salt.
let dry
seal it with a non-toxic zero voc acrylic latex or similar (you could go straight to this step, if there isnt sand and loose bits and if the sealer will stick to the wood and go well into all crevices as is)

Or let it hard freeze, but I don't think thats going to happen in florida. Oven is the way I would go, just keep an eye on it if you're worried.

boil it in water, to kill off anything on it and remove some of the salt.
let dry
seal it with a non-toxic zero voc acrylic latex or similar (you could go straight to this step, if there isnt sand and loose bits and if the sealer will stick to the wood and go well into all crevices as is)

we have to paint the log with what?

freezing

Just a late note, freezing does not kill micro ogranisms (bacteria or mold spores). They will just go into a state of hibernation until conditions improve. Heat, acid, bleach, or lack of oxygen are the only suitable means to sterilize an object.

Just a side note, i bought 4 pieces of grape wood and mopani used from a reptile store. It looked real nasty, with snake skin and poo all over. I put it in the sink, scrubbed the 'crap' out of it with dish soap and hot water, poured boiling hot water on it baked it for 20 minutes at 350 and no my house doesnt stink at all.

Back
Top Bottom