Took male veiled outside now hes dark as can be

tatted1

So I took Kai out for the 1st time.Hoping it would be a good experience.When it was time to come in it was a chore to get him out of the tree I had him in. So I guess I really stressed him out.He is now really dark almost brown.Is this just cause he was freaked? Is he now gonna be scared to go out again or scared of me? Hope I didnt make a bad decision taking him out.Oh he is a adult male veiled.

My Rudis freaked when I took him out! I think it was just too warm that day. I think they feel really exposed all of the sudden so maybe put him in a shady bush for a while, let him get used to it. He was dark and sorta weird for the next week but he got over it and is now friendly as ever

I hope so.Worried hes gonna be afraid of me now. Guess I should just leave him alone completely for awhile.

He probably liked it outside so much that he didn't want to go back in.

Also when he was outside he was super puffed up.Was this to catch more sun? Or was he pissed or combination? Sorry but Im just freakin cause hes never been dark since I got him.:confused:

Also when he was outside he was super puffed up.Was this to catch more sun? Or was he pissed or combination? Sorry but Im just freakin cause hes never been dark since I got him.:confused:

Yes they puff up and flatten out their body to absorb more sun.

This is my panther from a few years ago, inflated and darkened to catch the sun. More usually he inflates (solar panel) but doesn't darken. From what you say, it sounds like Kai darkened more on going in than when he was outside; I'd agree with jannb that he probably was just showing his displeasure at being taken in. When he inflates when he's outside, if he's turning his flattened side towards the sun for maximum exposure, he's basking rather than upset or angry.
ThaxterBask.jpg

ok thanks alot guys.Sorry to freak out but I was worried about my lil buddy.Hes back to normal by the way!!!!

Most animals evolved their skin coloration and texture to cope with UVB exposure.

For example, mankind - the highest UVB exposed spots have the blackest skin, and the lowest UVB spots have the whitest skin.

Think of dark skin as SPF. Black people for example, whether from Africa or Australia, have a natural SPF of 50. White people are more like 5 or less. This is because in northern climates with less UVB, white skin attracts more UVB radiation (we need it for vitamin d synthesis). Black skin attracts UVB in MUCH lower levels, so it takes longer to get the synthesis accomplished at optimal levels.

So although the common belief is dark attracts, white reflects light - the science behind this is opposite and has more to do with HEAT.

Dark pigmentation helps protect against UVB and skin damage, though it also attracts infrared energy (heat).

Many reptiles turn dark in the sun to help gain heat + protect against UVB radiation.

But don't worry, no matter how dark he is, he's still getting his strong dose of UVB.

Most chameleons we keep in the hobby are lighter skinned (think the Namaqua desert chameleon for comparison). The reason for this is because they come from lush rainforest areas where they get their UVB exposure indirectly, partially filtered from the jungle canopy.

Their lighter skin is to allow more UVB penetration in these areas, but they have the ability to turn dark to protect themselves from too much UVB penetration.

For comparison in humans, black skinned people need twice to three times as much time in the sun for UVB exposure to get the same benefits (d3) that white skinned people need.

Hope this all makes sense lol.

Basically your chameleon should be getting UVB exposure indirectly, and only from direct sunlight in the morning or evening if it is going to be prolonged exposure.

If you had a Namaqua chameleon, then you'd want him to be in the full Sun most of the time.

This is an interesting talk on UVB adaptation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOSPNVunyFQ

Back
Top Bottom