Sitting on the branches with feet open

chamimom

Hello, All. So I recently lost a baby veiled cham to some horrible sickness the vet could not figure out. I have another adult male veiled cham and have been watching him very closely, checking on him several times daily for a few weeks. He has been eating fine and other than showing some stress which I found was due to a humidity/temp gauge malfunction to where it was showing wrong readings. Once I adjusted temps and humidity and put in a working gauge, he stopped showing signs of stress. However, since I lost my baby cam, I have been really on edge since we were not able to figure out what killed him. I saw my adult cham a couple days ago sitting on his top branch with his feet open and not grasping the branch he was on. I have never seen a cham do this, and, of course, freaked out. I tried calling to make an appointment with a recommended vet, but they couldn't get him in for a couple of weeks. I was going to call another, but I thought I might test him first to see if he COULD grasp the branch and just decided not to at that moment for some reason. So I got a cup with dubias in it. In order to lean over to snatch them, he grasped the branch pretty firmly with his feet. So then I set the bowl with a last roach in it on the other side of the cage, and he went right over like it was no problem and snatched it. All that panic, and he's perfectly fine. Has anyone had their cham just sit there balanced on a branch without grasping it with its feet before? It was just so weird to see.

If the feet are functioning as they are supposed to and you do not see any sign of swelling in them then I would not be concerned. If he is hanging them off the branch and you are seeing swelling in the joints or feet then this would indicate an issue.

Like @Beman just said, I feel if there are no symptoms then they just do this at times. Spike has been doing very well and I just took this pic of him after seeing your post. This is literally him right now. Only holding on with 3 legs/claws. I don't think it's anything. Spike was super active. Climbing everywhere today as usual. So I don't think there's any issue.

Edit: hes not sleeping right now. He just hangs out in his sleeping spot once his day is over while he waits for the lights to go off. I'll check on him when he's actually sleeping to see if his 1 arm is still just hanging there like this. Also....there is a palm leaf there so that might be why he's not grabbing the branch. It's touching his claw lol
Screenshot_20231028_172824_Gallery.jpg

Like @Beman just said, I feel if there are no symptoms then they just do this at times. Spike has been doing very well and I just took this pic of him after seeing your post. This is literally him right now. Only holding on with 3 legs/claws. I don't think it's anything. Spike was super active. Climbing everywhere today as usual. So I don't think there's any issue.

Edit: hes not sleeping right now. He just hangs out in his sleeping spot once his day is over while he waits for the lights to go off. I'll check on him when he's actually sleeping to see if his 1 arm is still just hanging there like this. Also....there is a palm leaf there so that might be why he's not grabbing the branch. It's touching his claw lol
View attachment 345702
If he's anything like Bolt, he's worn out from patrolling his enclosure, all day.🤣

Thank you all so much for responding! That gives me a lot of relief. Nothing looks swollen on him or anything, so I think he must be okay. Whew! :) I appreciate everyone here!

Back
Top Bottom