Tongue Trauma

Karma143

I'm a Veterinary nurse a Veiled Chameleon came in from a pet store as a owner return with is tongue hanging out about 1 inch , the end about 1/2 was dead this was the 1st time we ever saw anything like this ! :( checking with the reptile vet in my area he suggested Euthanasia saying the dead part would need to be removed and surgery would be risky ... my heart broke I was wiling to try to hand feed or what ever he needed but myself and the doctor were at a loss of how to do the surgery safely ? when I came back to check on him his tongue was back in his mouth !! in looking closer he bite the dead part off I brought him home I have had him 1 day at this point he looks good (not eating ) in reading discussion I see there may be a chance to help him I will do what I can for him and will be grateful for any Guidance and advice .

I'm a Veterinary nurse a Veiled Chameleon came in from a pet store as a owner return with is tongue hanging out about 1 inch , the end about 1/2 was dead this was the 1st time we ever saw anything like this ! :( checking with the reptile vet in my area he suggested Euthanasia saying the dead part would need to be removed and surgery would be risky ... my heart broke I was wiling to try to hand feed or what ever he needed but myself and the doctor were at a loss of how to do the surgery safely ? when I came back to check on him his tongue was back in his mouth !! in looking closer he bite the dead part off I brought him home I have had him 1 day at this point he looks good (not eating ) in reading discussion I see there may be a chance to help him I will do what I can for him and will be grateful for any Guidance and advice .
One of my cham’s tongue doesn’t work because he had MBD before I got him (thankfully only mild and it has since stopped-never using that breeder again!). I have to half kill his food and can’t give him any flying food so he can come over and grab it with his mouth. Hope this helps!

I am glad that you brought him home. There’s been many chameleon live a long life with no tongue. I would find a good chameleon vet that can do surgery. The rest of the tongue may need to be amputated. Normally, the tongue is amputated. It takes a little time to get them to eat but he/she should handfeed shortly and you may be able to eventually get him to cup feed. The most important thing is to keep him drinking so he doesn’t get dehydrated. Dehydration kills.

Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a good chameleon vet within driving distance.

Have you kept chameleons before? If not we can link you a good care sheet.

Here’s a couple links where out keeper here had to get their chameleons tongue amputated.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/pans-tongue-was-amputated.106981/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/tongue-swallowing.54957/#post-515913

This little guy lost all of his tongue many years ago and he just passed away earlier this year.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/picasso-update.99527/

Last edited:
I’m glad he's got someone who cares,I’ve read of this situation before and see a lot of success stories.For inspiration I’ll drop A video of a old member’s video (credit him when I find the thread) of a Cham eating just fine with no tounge.

Back
Top Bottom