Tommy's diagnosis

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
Well I left my boy with the vet this morning for his xrays. He phoned me just before lunch to say what he's found. Tommy basicly has arthritis in his elbows (front legs). There are also calcifications in/around both elbow joints which in turn are pressing on the nerves, thus preventing him from moving normally. I went to collect him at 2pm and the vet went over everything again and showed me the xrays. How cool are chameleon xrays?! Absolutely amazing! Tommy's neck and shoulders are ok although it's difficult t get a good look at that area due to his large casque! The vet was very happy with how everything else looks and Tommy's bones look well calcified too! I was a bit worried about that as he has been passed around a lot before I took him in. Thankfully his previous owners must have supplemented him properly.

Tommy has been given an injection and also some meds to take every day to reduce the inflammation in his elbows. He was given Metacam (which i have previously used with my male glider) and is to have 0.03mls per day on his food until his check up in two weeks.

It is such a great feeling to have him back in his viv again. He's now back to his normal(ish) self and is already demanding to be let out! He has eaten 2 waxies as a treat and I've ordered more silkies for him too! I am relieved and worn out now though, but also very happy!:D

I know! What a huge relief! Tommy is one special boy and I would have paid for whatever treatment that was needed no matter how much the cost. I love my boy so much! Todays visit cost me £108 GBP (not sure how much that is in US dollars though!), and quite honestly I was expecting the bill to be much higher than that!

Tiff I am really happy for the two of you!!:D:D:D It would just have been too heartbreaking for there to be a horrible problem with that wonderful guy. Give him my best.

I know! What a huge relief! Tommy is one special boy and I would have paid for whatever treatment that was needed no matter how much the cost. I love my boy so much! Todays visit cost me £108 GBP (not sure how much that is in US dollars though!), and quite honestly I was expecting the bill to be much higher than that!

I think its around double here and the US dollar isnt that far away from the CAD. Im glad that its only arthritis, he must be getting old :p

Yep, about $200. So glad to know he's essentially fine! My grandmother's dog has arthritis but she's doing so well with medication, so I'm sure Tommy will do just as well.

Without looking at today's rate, it is about $170-$180
Basically what I payed for my vet bill for garadean for x-rays.

I'm glad that for the most part all is well with him.
To me it was money well spent and was worth any trouble.

I'm also glad that you posted the results because it shows to new owners that a vet visit can be well worth the time and doesn't always mean you will spend a lot for the cham's health.

I wish both you and Tommy the best.

Harry

Thanks Harry! Tommy is so precious - it was worth every penny, especially as now I can help him recover the use of his wrist! Tommy is such a sweetie, I would pay three times that much and more if it meant getting him better. Money is no object for the pets in our house. I spent over £400 in total over the course of my male sugar glider's treatment, and although he didn't make it, it was worth every penny just to give things a try. I would happily do the same again.

Hi again Tiff,

I so agree that no matter what the cost it is well worth it.

I also know that while most people might not be willing, I was prepared to even pay for an operation for garadean if she had fused eggs in her belly.
I don't even want to think what that would cost me, but thankfully all is well with her besides that she is on a diet because she is just fat.
Just the thought that she not only will never have babies, but may not even live after the surgery scared the crap out of me.
I'm telling you, it took every ounce of courage to go ahead and send her to Florida knowing that I may not see her again.

By the way...
If you didn't know, I almost got a sugar glider instead of getting Splat.
Sadly they are not legal in the New York City area and I would not be able to get a pair from a good breeder.
So I got Splat instead.

Oh, and just like a sugar glider, my male Quad Quadzilla would wait for me to take him out of his cage so he can poop on my hand!!!!
He only did this the first 3 days I had him but it was funny.
Now he just poops on my couch like splat does when they free range. :)

Harry

yeah Tiff!!!!! i'm sooo glad to hear that his condition that can be treated!!!!! i'll bet you gave him a big hug and a squeeze when you got to bring him home!! ;)

Please take a look at these links-1 w/ Xray

First, I do hope that Tommy has a speedy recovery.

I'm no veterinarian, but since gout is not uncommon in chams(too much D3 or protein, dehydration, kidney dysfunction) , I can't help but wonder if that is what it actually is (It mimics arthritis.)
Gout is treated with extra hydration and with medications to dissolve the uric acid crystal deposits. Apparently, surgery is considered for the worst cases.
Dr Kenneth Lopez states:
I see a lot of articular gout in chameleons. On X-rays this may appear similar to a bad arthritis and visually as swollen joints, usually on the extremities.
(Articular gout means it's in the joints themselves)
at http://web.archive.org/web/20060502074415/www.chameleonjournals.com/vet/index.php?show=8.Gout.Basics.html

Here is an excellent link, complete with an X-ray image:
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-section-f-gout_28.html

The renowned Dr Ivan Alfonso has this to say:
http://www.kirkmanareavet.com/Gout.html

According to this vet's website, an excess of D3 supplementation can cause gout--though there are other causes, as well.
http://www.seavs.com/case_studies/lizards/chameleons.asp

Maybe the info could be shared with your vet, if Tommy continues having the joint problems.

Gout has not been mentioned at all, and Tommy certainly has no swellings on any of his joints.

I took Tommy back for his check up today as things are still th same if not worse. He is reluctant to use the foot, but he still moves it ok - he just can't 'feel' what it's doing. It's quite sad to see him getting on with things as best he can, bless him. The vet was encouraged by the fact that Tommy will still use the foot, expecially when adrenalin kicks in (brought on by the vet palpating his neck and legs). He advised to double the dosage of Metacam every day and to return for a further check up in a couple of weeks.

Update - another check-up

Had to take Tommy back for another checkup this morning. The vet was encouraged to see a slight improvement, expecially with the 'forward propulsion' in his arm/wrist. We just have to keep up with the meds and return in 3 weeks to see how things are doing. I know that chams do everything slowly, included getting better, so we are still hopeful that Tommy will regain some use of his foot. He still hasn't bitten the vet, he's such a good boy. He just gaped today but didn't hiss and has never even tried to bite us or the vet, thankfully! I love my special l'il man so much, and it's wonderful that he is eating every day now as well. He has also gained 9g in the last 2 weeks so I am very pleased!:D

Had to take Tommy back for another checkup this morning. The vet was encouraged to see a slight improvement, expecially with the 'forward propulsion' in his arm/wrist. We just have to keep up with the meds and return in 3 weeks to see how things are doing. I know that chams do everything slowly, included getting better, so we are still hopeful that Tommy will regain some use of his foot. He still hasn't bitten the vet, he's such a good boy. He just gaped today but didn't hiss and has never even tried to bite us or the vet, thankfully! I love my special l'il man so much, and it's wonderful that he is eating every day now as well. He has also gained 9g in the last 2 weeks so I am very pleased!:D

Awww bless Tommy, he's such a brave boy! Fingers crossed his next check up goes well.

Back
Top Bottom